Thread: The Legend of Zelda

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth The Legend of Zelda Xanatos's Avatar

Did Legend of Zelda games really evolve?

Everyone knows what The Legend of Zelda games are or at least you heard about it. Every game in The Legend of Zelda series were positively accepted and sold over more than a million copies.
    But every game in the series has the same hero and almost every game in the series has the same story with few little differences. Many would say that The Legend of Zelda has only evolved in graphics but I want to know what you think about it. Did The Legend of Zelda games only evolve in graphics and would it be better for a change to see some new story and a new hero? I would like to see your opinions about this.
    And if this kind of tread already exists I would like to apologize.
    Last edited by Xanatos; 07-16-2009 at 11:22 AM.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

FlashX
    The series really is getting boring. And I seem to blame it on Miyamoto, he has said multiple times he doesn't believe in focusing on a storyline, and wants to rely on gameplay more. Which is pretty silly to me, considering its 2009 and players want a good story.

I don't think there should be a new Hero, every 'Hero' in the LOZ only gets 2 games. However every Link simply looks the same. What it does need is a new villain, I seriously can't understand why Ganondorf is used so much in the series. Oot, Attlp, & Loz seemed to use him perfectly.My guess is Nintendo is trying to use him as a 'bowser' for the Zelda series instead of focusing on making a good mythology. And they ruined two other perfectly good villains (Vaati & Zant) by pairing them up with Ganon.

The landscape needs to be changed completely. Enough of Hyrule already. In Twilight Princess it's basically the same as Oot but watered-down. Most Hylians don't even talk to you (they just walk in circles around castle town aimlessly) , Zoras & Gorons are pretty dull. yeah thats pretty much it. No fun things to do in Hyrule field, no fun minigames in castle town, and only 1 real sidequest in the whole game. So Twilight Princess to me is the series begining to die.
    ForumPlanet - Topic - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - My Review hes a pretty good review for this atrocious game, no I didn't make it either.

Anyways the Zelda game that you would probably like the most is Majora's Mask. No Hyrule, Ganondorf, Triforce, Zelda, etc.. It was a completely different game and is my favorite. And yeah it's pretty challenging, this is the direction the Zelda series should've evolved towards.
    Last edited by FlashX; 07-01-2009 at 11:43 PM.

I'm DYING to see you! The Legend of Zelda ViviMasterMage's Avatar
    Flash is right. Ganondorf comes back and comes back in a loop in every game.
    And the weirdest thing that LOZ fans are confused about is its time line. Some think it starts with the minish cap and others with the original LOZ. To be honest I really love these games and I think the fans just love it more than the creators...

My things:

My TFF Family!:
    My very hyper moogle loving cousin Meigumi!
    My grammar obsessive twin AWESOME brother Fate!
    My powerful, dangerous, short tempered younger brother Alther!
    My badassly cool chaos-loving lord who adores big swords and uber spells, Elyon Demidias
    My awesomely cool big brother xXCloudXx
    "The Bestest Buddy" xTidus (Aka Casey)
    My Okami-playing, Sephiroth-fangirl American cousin Dodie16
    My brother and stealthy swordsman of poetic power genome's blade
    My brother from another mother Gilgameshed_Up

My Fatey!:

Quote Originally Posted by Meigumi
    ....... I was reaaally hoping you'd say something else, but whatever! HEY, EVERYONE! WE'RE HAVING A CONVERSATION! 8D
    Fate's beautiful haiku:
    Lost in reverie
    Memories drifting through me
    So calm like the sea

You can actually say that one of them was the first? ôô" I don't think that they all belong together. I always saw them as separate games, each one has its own story and characters. Well, they DO change a bit. Of course Link, Zelda and Ganon never changed, but the surroundings were quite different in almost every Zelda.

Take for example Link's Awakening (the one for GB). The setting was on a lonely island and there was no Zelda and there was no Ganon, so the story was completely different. (If anyone is interested: You had to get away from the island, you strand there and have to get 8 musical instruments to wake a thing called windfish.)

Then there is the Wind Waker. I heard many people disliked it because of the setting, although (!) it wasn't Hyrule. I think it was the first one that played mostly on the ocean. You had to go by ship most of the time and there were places you didn't know yet. And you didn't know if there was a Zelda at the beginning. It slowly went back to its story roots, but firstly you thought it was a completely different story.
    The sequel of TWW, Phantom Hourglass, actually HAD a completely different storyline. You didn't have to fight Ganon to get Zelda back, because you got her back at the end of TWW. But I think you had to rescue Zelda... It's been a year that I played the game, so I don't really remember. ^^" There was a new character, Linebeck was his name I think .-. In my opinion, he was quite a nice character, he wasn't like all the other ones in the Zelda universe and breathed fresh air to the games. ^^ So no Ganon here, either.

Last one I want to mention: Majora's Mask. I currently play it and there hasn't been a Zelda yet and of course no Ganon, as MM is the sequel of OoT. (So Ganon died at the end of OoT, I hope this isn't a spoiler ) You have to collect masks and you only have three days to do so. I think the setting is Hyrule, but I didn't really see something I knew from OoT yet. (Okay, I'm only at the beginning, but who cares?! XD")

So.. a new hero? Why, Link fits so many situations and adventures, there is no need for another person. But I really liked Linebeck as a second character who followed every step of Link. There have to be more characters like him.
    New story? Perhaps. I admit that the story is old and gets boring, but I like that kind of story. At least there is something you aim for in the game. You always know that you have to beat all the monsters because you want to rescue someone. (Basically, in FF you always rescue the whole planet, so where's the difference?) Personally, I like the fact that TLoZ never changes its way.

I'm DYING to see you! The Legend of Zelda ViviMasterMage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Then there is the Wind Waker. I heard many people disliked it because of the setting, although (!) it wasn't Hyrule. I think it was the first one that played mostly on the ocean.
    Spoiler:
    Actually I think it was Hyrule. Someone tells you in the game that it is Hyrule flooded but I'm not totally sure.

My things:

My TFF Family!:
    My very hyper moogle loving cousin Meigumi!
    My grammar obsessive twin AWESOME brother Fate!
    My powerful, dangerous, short tempered younger brother Alther!
    My badassly cool chaos-loving lord who adores big swords and uber spells, Elyon Demidias
    My awesomely cool big brother xXCloudXx
    "The Bestest Buddy" xTidus (Aka Casey)
    My Okami-playing, Sephiroth-fangirl American cousin Dodie16
    My brother and stealthy swordsman of poetic power genome's blade
    My brother from another mother Gilgameshed_Up

My Fatey!:

Quote Originally Posted by Meigumi
    ....... I was reaaally hoping you'd say something else, but whatever! HEY, EVERYONE! WE'RE HAVING A CONVERSATION! 8D
    Fate's beautiful haiku:
    Lost in reverie
    Memories drifting through me
    So calm like the sea

I think the draw of the LoZ series is in its gameplay and puzzles. Now I'm not a hardcore fan, although I did enjoy OoT quite a bit. However, Twilight Princess was fun, but not very interesting and I stopped playing it about three quarters of the way through. Still have the game, I just simply don't play it. I'm pretty sure LoZ is going to die out unless it gets a huge makeover. And yes, that includes an actual story...
    .:\~`My TFF Family`~/:.

Setzer = Father
    ~Crazy Chocobo~= Mother
    $Nanaki$ = Uncle
    Rikkuffx = Sister
    SelphieTilmitt = Aunt
    perfect shadow = Uncle

Yea I'm back. After three years. So my family is probably dead or don't remember me.

finalmaster
    my brother has all of the legend of zeida but the one on ds 2nd why isnt it called legend of Link? becuase zelda is really not on all of the games and they dont really talk about her

Registered User The Legend of Zelda
    No matter how many times Nintendo decides to rehash the same basic storyline, I will still play Zelda games. I just really love the franchise. Adventure games (next to RPGs) are one of my favorite genres, and Zelda has always been pretty good at delivering good games.

I love Windwaker a lot. OOT is probably my favorite, but I think Windwaker has a certain charm about it. Maybe it's the cartooney presentation or the setting, or maybe it's just the whole storyline. I'm glad for the changes, and I hope to see Toon Link in his own game again. Yes, I already know about Spirit Tracks, but I wanna see him on the Wii. Brawl doesn't count, even though it was cool to see him in it.

Oh, and Nintendo can bring back Vaati as well. I liked him in The Minish Cap.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Stage Dives, High Fives. The Legend of Zelda Confession's Avatar
    I am currently re-playing through OoT and I just love it.
    The LoZ series has to be one of the best gaming series made, but I think that when the Gamecube came out it was like they were trying to hard to keep the series going. I have played all of the LoZ games before Windwaker and have fallen madly in love with them.
    But after the generation shift and when windwaker came out, there was just something different about it. I haven't really taken THAT much notice with the new LoZ titles, I'll hire them out and stuff, but I haven't been drawn to them like I have been with the old ones.

Wu Tang Killa Bee's, We On The Storm.