Thread: The Import Game Thread (I.G.I.T)

Certified tech, come at me! The Import Game Thread (I.G.I.T) SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Import Game Thread (I.G.I.T)

I have gotten into the mood of picking up imported games starting with Super Famicom games. I have my SNES modified (via simple removal of plastic tabs) to fit the cartridges in and play them. In my collection I have Mother 2 as well as Super Bomberman 4. EDIT: I plan on importing more games for the SNES/SFC, and eventually games, for Famicom and PSX.

Double Edit: this should have been my main question - What imported games do you own?

- What region of games do you mostly import from?

- Do you mainly import classic games or modern games?

- Do you modify your consoles for imports? or do you own systems that play the imports without any modification required?

NOTE: You don't have to answer all of these questions, just wanted to broaden the import conversation so we could spark some replies.
    Last edited by SuperSabin; 10-03-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Currently Playing:

Namco vs capcom

EDIT: Yeah I half paid attention to that. Namco vs Capcom is a PS2 game XD sorry.

I haven't really "imported"
    Last edited by loaf; 10-03-2013 at 03:12 PM.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 The Import Game Thread (I.G.I.T) T.G. Oskar's Avatar
    I've only imported one game in my life, and that has been Super Robot Wars A Portable. The reason is obvious: I like the SRW series, but the only games released in the American region have been the GBA ones, because of copyright reasons. The Original Generation games are essentially comprised of all original material from earlier SRW games, and one of the protagonists of SRW OG 2 is also the protagonist of SRW Advance (A Portable is the PSP remake of the aforementioned game, for the Game Boy Advance), and also one of the main themes. Since I wanted to play the original story, I chose to spend over $60 to import it. Right now, I'm not using my PSP, but I intend to finish the game at least once; its just hilariously difficult, particularly due to my playstyle, and because I need to have a computer nearby to see the translated text (it's PRETTY text-heavy).

Eventually, I'd like to import more PSP games, such as SRW MX, SRW Z, and Grand Knights History, since the PSP is region-free and requires no modification, which is a big plus. Even then, if there's a way to emulate the game, I incline towards emulation rather than importing; generally, I prefer emulating to importing unless the method of emulation is way too complex. A good example: I'd love to play Dragon Force, but the Saturn emulators are just too complex to play with, and thus attempting that is an exercise in frustration. In that case, I'd make the effort to find a Saturn and a copy of the game, unless emulation becomes much simpler. Sure, Dragon Force isn't a Japan-only game, but that gives an example of what I'd do if I were interested in a Japan-only game.

So yeah, I basically would import only if the game isn't released in American regions, and if it's easier to import than to emulate (unless the game is of the current generation or 1 generation apart; thus, I'd emulate PSX games, but not PS2 or PS3 games, which I'd probably import).
    Delivering scathing wit as a Rogue using Sneak Attack.

Pester me on the Giant in the Playground Forums if you really need me.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

'Tis a shame I can only place names now...:
    Silver, Omnitense, Govinda, Aerif, Meier Link,
    (whatever is the name of) The Stig, Grizzly, Fishie,
    Craven, Spiral Architect, Flash AND Froggie.

Spaces still available. Join today!!

Nomu-baka, this is FAR from over...: