Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: imagine they made a new final fantasy generation?

imagine they made a new final fantasy generation?

are they going to keep making FF series? if they are...great! if they arent and are planning to stop at FF15 or something, they should plan on making a new generation...thats using the same characters and making them OLDER! or incorporate other things in there. this could save designers some effort to make whole new character designs. but we will still expect them to have a new storyline because now it could be talking about more later into their lives. and why not? it'll be cool and it'll totally cause curiosity. i just thought this was something new to share. so what do you think?

Registered User imagine they made a new final fantasy generation? Ashelia's Avatar

Re: imagine they made a new final fantasy generation?

The trouble with "sequals" (and I consider a next generation a sequal here) is that it never matches the success of the original. Final Fantasy always was unique in the concept of making each new game a fully new story, with new characters, backgrounds, and only a few common key elements like Espers/Aeons/GFs...
    Trouble with sequals is that people know the characters, so the element of new backgrounds and some game time spent on getting to know them gets lost. Also people have expectations that it'll match the first game, and it rarely ever does.

I'd say stick to the current concept. If they go on, then great. If they stop, so be it.

imagine they made a new final fantasy generation? Jin's Avatar

they should plan on making a new generation...thats using the same characters and making them OLDER!
    ...That's a joke, right? Do you work for Square-Enix? Is this a publicity stunt?

this could save designers some effort to make whole new character designs
    Now I'm convinced you work for SE.

Until now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashelia View Post
    The trouble with "sequals" (and I consider a next generation a sequal here) is that it never matches the success of the original. Final Fantasy always was unique in the concept of making each new game a fully new story, with new characters, backgrounds, and only a few common key elements like Espers/Aeons/GFs...
    Trouble with sequals is that people know the characters, so the element of new backgrounds and some game time spent on getting to know them gets lost. Also people have expectations that it'll match the first game, and it rarely ever does.

I'd say stick to the current concept. If they go on, then great. If they stop, so be it.
    i see your point here. if it doesnt work out then we'll all stick to the current concept!!! personally i think i like new games with new characters, backgrounds and storyline but my suggestion could be for certain people that cant seem to forget the characters in the past series because they are all so distinctive and quite significant. and it seems like they are wasted in only ONE FF. what i mean is square enix could carry two productions at the same time but its a bet without any kind of knowledge whatsoever. but the human brain is capable of taking the challenge so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    ...That's a joke, right? Do you work for Square-Enix? Is this a publicity stunt?

Now I'm convinced you work for SE.
    no i dont work for square enix and if this was a "joke" i would probably put it in the "joke" forum?
    Last edited by LIGHTNING_71013; 03-25-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Next Generation Final Fantasy has already started, it's called Final Fantasy XIII.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

no i dont work for square enix and if this was a "joke" i would probably put it in the "joke" forum?
    Experience says otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf
    Next Generation Final Fantasy has already started, it's called Final Fantasy XIII.
    And look how that turned out.

Until now!

Experience says otherwise...

And look how that turned out.
    yah i dont necessarily need you to tell me. i guess besides teaching people how to read. you have like absolutely nothing to do.
    Last edited by LIGHTNING_71013; 03-25-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Do they not teach sarcasm in school anymore? Yeesh.

Seriously though, they did a "same characters but older" thing already. It's called Final Fantasy X-2 and it sucks.

Until now!

i was actually being sarcastic. lol. but i've never seen sarcasm killing the imaginative mind...its just a suggestion, you dont have to take it so seriously and never even have to comment on it or anything. so i guess you banned the idea. got it.
    Last edited by LIGHTNING_71013; 03-25-2010 at 09:18 PM.

i was actually being sarcastic
    Oh of course.

so i guess you banned the idea. got it.
    The people thus rejoiced.

Until now!

Registered User imagine they made a new final fantasy generation? Megatron0000's Avatar

Personally I think the way FF is going is disastrous to veteran players of the series. I loathe FF13 and it might possibly be the last FF I ever buy. If they decide to go down this course of excruciatingly long, linear, boring games, I see the whole series going under in a short period of years. Yet I expect people will disagree and say that 13 is great or some crap like that but this is my opinion.....isn't that what these forums are for? Regardless, I have been disappointed with the series since X-2 and don't see a change for the better coming anytime soon.

Registered User imagine they made a new final fantasy generation? Ashelia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LIGHTNING_71013 View Post
    my suggestion could be for certain people that cant seem to forget the characters in the past series because they are all so distinctive and quite significant. and it seems like they are wasted in only ONE FF.
    I wouldn't say wasted. They had a great role in this one FF. And I love remembering it.
    My experience is that when people think something is great, they want to see more. But when they do make more, it's always disappointing in the end.

I wouldn't say wasted. They had a great role in this one FF. And I love remembering it.
    My experience is that when people think something is great, they want to see more. But when they do make more, it's always disappointing in the end.
    yah i guess you have a point there. its special to have a different set of characters representing each FF series. and we'll definitely remember them anyway. so i guess i was being tooo specific on making new ideas for FF. but i just thought its interesting to play into their future a little bit more you know? but then again they have endings for a reason. sigh.
    Last edited by LIGHTNING_71013; 03-26-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Imperius Rex imagine they made a new final fantasy generation? Storm's Avatar

I don't think so, as I have found the prequel/sequel Final Fantasies to be nowhere near as good as the main game. The main games (usually) you can play through more than once, but I have not found that with any of the prequels/sequels. I finished the VII compilation ones, but I never got far into X-2 without putting it away and denying that it was ever made! I thought X finished nicely, but unfortunatly that monstrosity of a sequel came and killed it's mother!

Each Final Fantasy is different from the prior, and that is the way I believe it should stay. Prequels/sequels should stay as a bit of fun for fans, such as forum role-plays. I have been part of several "next-generation" Final Fantasy roleplays, although with own characters in those worlds, which are a great way to imagine 'what happens next'.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron0000 View Post
    Personally I think the way FF is going is disastrous to veteran players of the series. I loathe FF13 and it might possibly be the last FF I ever buy. If they decide to go down this course of excruciatingly long, linear, boring games, I see the whole series going under in a short period of years. Yet I expect people will disagree and say that 13 is great or some crap like that but this is my opinion.....isn't that what these forums are for? Regardless, I have been disappointed with the series since X-2 and don't see a change for the better coming anytime soon.
    I actually thought XIII was a breath of fresh air. X and XII I found were rather disapointing for various reasons (X had a great storyline, but it had some very bland/annoying characters, a bad levelling system, and was very linear, XII has a great free-roaming quality and I lived the battle system, but a severe lack of storyline and the characters were annoying or weren't explored.). XIII is linear (although I have heard that it becomes more free later on), but it has a unique battle system, interesting characters (I don't like Hope or Vanille, but they do have significance) and a really good storyline. I love the old FF's, especially IV and VI, but if Square Enix was still doing that now, it would have gotten very repetitive. A thing I love about the series, and one of the reasons behind its success (I believe anyway), is how it trys to make each game different from the last, while keeping it a "Final Fantasy" game. Every one has good and bad points.
    PSN username: Raikujaku
    A meow-ed member of PRK9

is FFX-2 that bad? despite of everybody's complaits and hope of it never existing, i really enjoy the game play if i do say so myself... maybe its the characters that are not as exciting as the first one...like wakka....maybe even lulu? so they were not in the sequel and tidus appeared near the end. so there wasnt much excitment and storyline kind of confusing right? but other than that i thought it was OK.

and if FFXIII-2 did come out i would guarantee that everyone would probably get it.
    Last edited by LIGHTNING_71013; 03-27-2010 at 09:28 AM.

I didn't dislike playing X-2 at all, but mainly because of the more active battle system, the chain attacks, and the possibility for each character to take any role with the dress spheres. They did put some effort in renewing a lot.
    Still, I found the story a bit boring until later in the game. And the whole game, we were only limited to playing the 3 main characters.

SPOILER!!:
    And to be honest, X had a great ending. It never made a lot of sense to me that Yuna started looking for Tidus again, thinking he could still be alive... after she had performed the sending herself.
    Last edited by Ashelia; 03-27-2010 at 12:49 PM.

I didn't dislike playing X-2 at all, but mainly because of the more active battle system, the chain attacks, and the possibility for each character to take any role with the dress spheres. They did put some effort in renewing a lot.
    Still, I found the story a bit boring until later in the game. And the whole game, we were only limited to playing the 3 main characters.

SPOILER!!:
    And to be honest, X had a great ending. It never made a lot of sense to me that Yuna started looking for Tidus again, thinking he could still be alive... after she had performed the sending herself.
    She started looking because she found a sphere with "him" in it.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

I have a videotape with my grandpa on it, and he isn't alive either

Registered User imagine they made a new final fantasy generation?

^ I think it had to also do with the fact of what was said in the sphere as well. Been awhile since I played it, but I do remember him saying something about "protecting the summoner" or "saving the summoner". Made sense to me that Yuna thought it could have been her, and that Tidus somehow came back.

I still don't think that X-2 should have really been made though, but I can understand why (I guess...). It was nice that if you got the good ending that the whole "Tidus waking up in the ocean" thing after the credits rolled in X was explained, but I never got the good ending. Though I guess you could also say that part should have been left ambiguous and let the players come up with their own theory as to what was going on there. *shrugs*

EDIT:: On a more on-topic note, I guess you can say that about all FF games, that SE should leave the originals intact, and move on to create other original entries into the franchise.
    Last edited by Dodie16; 03-27-2010 at 01:54 PM.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

The Mad God imagine they made a new final fantasy generation? Heartless Angel's Avatar

I don't so much mind sequels, though I prefer prequels. Like Crisis Core, I'd love to play more games like that, where you play through the events leading up to the existing games, answering questiosn the originals left me asking and such. Like a prequel to 8 where you play through Laguna's story completely or something like that. Or maybe a prequel to 9 where you get to play through some Tantalus missions leading up to the attempted kidnapping of Garnet. I have often been dissappointed by sequels, but I've always been happy with prequels.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

I want to play a game. imagine they made a new final fantasy generation? Zargabaath's Avatar

Seriously though, they did a "same characters but older" thing already. It's called Final Fantasy X-2 and it sucks.
    With around 5.2 million copies sold that's not so bad for a "sucky" product. I'm sure S-E liked the cash it raked in. It may have been sucky, but how many developers or people/gamers can create a game, have it be sucky, and it still sell over 5 million copies?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron0000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Each Final Fantasy is different from the prior, and that is the way I believe it should stay.
    Even though what Storm said wasn't a response to Megatron, what Storm said about the Final Fantasy series - that each game is different from the prior and that is how it has been - is entirely true. I'm surprised that a "veteran" player of the series who has seen the change from the beginning would fret over the series going in a certain path. Final Fantasy X, which Final Fantasy XIII is very similiar to, did not become the norm. Of course not much time has passed but Final Fantasy XI was a MMO and Final Fantasy XII was the most open Final Fantasy to date. A "veteran" should know that the next [offline] game in the series will change things up. However, there may be nostalgia factoring here which could be blocking the truth that the series is about change and it is always changing game to game; therefore they need not worry a whole lot if any.

As to doing more sequels. I don't mind sequels but I prefer if they work on new FFs; eventually I would think the series would have to stop, but sequels are very hard to pull off. The biggest hurdle will be meeting the fans expectations and the biggest detraction from the game will be the fans of the original complaining that the sequel or prequel has ruined the original game.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zargabaath
    With around 5.2 million copies sold that's not so bad for a "sucky" product. I'm sure S-E liked the cash it raked in. It may have been sucky, but how many developers or people/gamers can create a game, have it be sucky, and it still sell over 5 million copies?
    There's a difference between a sold game and a loved game.

Eventually Square Enix will make their final Final Fantasy game. All they can do is to keep up the good work, and produce quality games that will sell and be loved, so they still have a large enough fan base to make a profit with.

T'is sad, but it happens. =(

EDIT: This is in General Gaming... seems better suited to General Final Fantasy.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

i guess thats the point with sequels...its like they cant put everything in ONE game, but they cant fill it up with 2 whole games either. thats why it gets kind of boring after a while cause the storyline kind of becomes "neutral". it doesn't change much after that except trying to get to the end of the game. i guessed they made sequels just to counteract with the time....but really my point was make it after 20 years or something....so that way they can totally change the storyline BUT still kind of relate to the original meaning...FFX-3. LOL.

I want to play a game. imagine they made a new final fantasy generation? Zargabaath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post
    There's a difference between a sold game and a loved game.
    I know this. However that "sucky" game sold over 5 million copies. And as I said how many developers can make a sucky game that sells over 5 million copies? How many gamers, like you, can make a game (similiar terms of physical quality is optional), that could even be awesome, and sell over 5 million copies. Square Enix made a nice profit from a "sucky" game that sold over 5 million copies.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zargabaath View Post
    I know this. However that "sucky" game sold over 5 million copies. And as I said how many developers can make a sucky game that sells over 5 million copies? How many gamers, like you, can make a game (similiar terms of physical quality is optional), that could even be awesome, and sell over 5 million copies. Square Enix made a nice profit from a "sucky" game that sold over 5 million copies.
    How many people of the 5 million people that bought the game enjoyed it? How many people still have the game? I see X-2 all the time in stores trying to sell it off. There's a game store I go to which has five copies of the game all being sold for about £4 - for a Final Fantasy game, that's shocking. I'd be expecting to pay £20+ for just a USED copy of FFVII.

There is approximately 7.7 million people who live in London. 5 million isn't that much when you compare it to the rest of the world. So, either your figure is wrong, or you're over defending it.

Seeing as we're going into figures, Fallout 3 sold 4.7 million units in less than one week. Add in the buyers of the game after that, and you have a proper sales figure of a loved video game. EDIT: FIGURES ARE WRONG. MY BAD.
    Last edited by Unknown Entity; 03-30-2010 at 06:01 PM.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

How many people of the 5 million people that bought the game enjoyed it? How many people still have the game? I see X-2 all the time in stores trying to sell it off. There's a game store I go to which has five copies of the game all being sold for about £4 - for a Final Fantasy game, that's shocking. I'd be expecting to pay £20+ for just a USED copy of FFVII.
    You keep missing my point. It is not about them liking it. My objective has never been to say that because of its [Final Fantasy X-2] sales that it was a good/great game in terms of quality. Just that - once again - for a "sucky" game it sold very well and I would like to see anybody on here try to make a game that sells over five million units.

There is approximately 7.7 million people who live in London. 5 million isn't that much when you compare it to the rest of the world. So, either your figure is wrong, or you're over defending it.
    Yeah... let's compare the sales of any videogame to the world population instead of to the average of videogame sales or to the average of the videogames' series sales. Five million is a lot for a videogame - and pretty well for an FF (and it was a sequel at that); five million is very good for a videogame and my figures aren't wrong.

Seeing as we're going into figures, Fallout 3 sold 4.7 million units in less than one week. Add in the buyers of the game after that, and you have a proper sales figure of a loved video game.
    You got off the train. And your figures are horribly wrong. Fallout 3 shipped - not sold - 4.7 million units from it's release in late Oct 2008 to the end of 2008. Then according to the NPD group - which are just American numbers - in Jan. 2009 Fallout 3 had sold 1.14 million units and the PS3 version sold 552,000 units. Factoring in the close estimates from VGChartz, to date Fallout 3 has sold 2.98 million units on the Xbox 360, 1.98 million units on the PS3, and they don't give any number for the PC version. Which brings me to my next point - Fallout 3 was released on 3 different gaming platforms, Final Fantasy X-2 on 1. If we add the two numbers [Xbox 360 & PS3] from VGChartz - as they are close sales figures - the 360 and PS3 sales for Fallout 3 combined is at 4.98 million units; Final Fantasy X-2 has that beat and was only on 1 system (and it was a "sucky" game to boot). It takes 3 different gaming platforms for a "loved" videogame to beat a "sucky" videogame that was released on only 1.
    Last edited by Zargabaath; 03-30-2010 at 01:04 PM.

You know how many people where sitting at home, reading about Final Fantasy X-2? Saying to themselves. "Man I can't wait for this to come out I can't wait to play it." Then when the game is released. They buy it and are disappointed. You know how many people did that, that is how that 5 million happened. People bought it cause it was the next Final Fantasy, to bad it sucked when people bought it. 2 of my friends returned it, didn't even finish.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

let me guess why FFX-2 sucked....
    -it didnt have a clear storyline
    -the game system was riduculous because you have to clear HOTSPOTS and that annoys you big time because you cant explore elsewhere
    -the music wasn't good like FFX but since theres "1000 words", i'll give it a pass
    -FFX-2 is the most girly game i've ever played and its embarrassing for the guys to play as the Yuna character (maybe even for the girls?)...even though theres Paine and Rikku.(and they are still girls)
    -if theres a another playable character it would've been a little better
    -and FFX-2 wasnt like any other serious FF storyline, all we did was fight occasionally but mostly its "lets sing and make the world happy" thing.
    -FFX-2 was the most pointless game i ever played in my life. and even if i've put all those hours into it i still didn't obtain 100% worth completion, because i forgot to do something that was useless. RIGHT?

so apart from all the criticism of the game, i kind of enjoyed playing FFX-2. not because i'm a girl but because i just dont think it SUCKED all that much. maybe cause i was excited for the ending....so i guessed the ending was the reason why i played.

Registered User imagine they made a new final fantasy generation? Megatron0000's Avatar

The biggest thing i hated about X-2 was the fact that Yuna's character (to me) was completely ruined. Yeah as a priestess she sang and did her dance but it was ritualistic fitting said position. Then X-2 she's in a teenie pop band with Rikku (who was the next-to-least favorite character in X(Wakka is the worst I hated him)) and Paine who was almost a badass......almost. The story sucked to me but i thought of the whole game as a "hopeless love story." If I remember correctly, Tidus never really existed... he was a manifestation of Jechts thoughts of his son. Been a while since I have played it so if I'm wrong I expect to be beaten up for it. The fact that the main character was a female was a plus for me. Its nice to play a game where your not lookin at a dude's backside the whole time. The dress system was "eh" to me. I didn't like it but I didn't not like it. The game only has 3 playable characters so it was easy for me to become bored with them (Rikku mainly). Since when did Yuna have guns? They have a new game + option which I love in any RPG. (Remembering Chrono Trigger). All in all i hated this game but I played it through. There are other things i didn't like about the game but I really don't feel like listing anymore.

^ yah..about yuna's character...she was a completely different person in the sequel compared to FFX. where did her change come from? is it in relation to the storyline?i dont know and not planning to search any further...but i guess the storyline was the biggest problem with FFX-2. sorry this is off topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast