Thread: Heavy Rain: The Origami Killer

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Heavy Rain: The Origami Killer

A trailer which was shown at E3 2006, which apparently doesn't have much to do with the story line (which to me is a shame) but was to demonstrate the graphics used in the game: [If wrong, please correct.]
    YouTube - Heavy Rain

This is the latest trailer of the game, shown at E3 2009.
    YouTube - Heavy Rain E3 2009 Trailer [HD]

I played the game previously made by David Cage (Fahrenheit or Indigo Prophecy), and was very impressed. I love how almost everything you did had an effect on which directions the story went.

This new game, Heavy Rain, is a game I've kept an eye on since I heard about it just under a year ago now, and by the looks of things now it'll be very good. I read somewhere the script for it was over 2000 pages long - your average movie script being only 100-200 pages long. So we diffinatly know there will be more pathways and options availiable to the player than in previous games.

One thing I love about David Cage is his ability to make you feel as if you are the character in the game, having to make split second decisions and movements with the controller. Apparently this is mre advanced in Heavy Rain, with the player having to press and hold the [R2?] button to walk, and the Analog Stick to make the character look in different directions, hence making them turn left and right.

David Cage... has also been known to add in a few... er... mature elements to his games aswell *coughs*Fahrenhiet*coughs*. I just hope that he didn't add in too many mature scenes in Heavy Rain - Fahrenhiet went too far after I stubbled across the semi-hidden, semi-controllable sex scene with Tiffany. >>;;

Has anyone else on here heard or kept an eye on this game? What are your thoughts?

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Registered User Heavy Rain: The Origami Killer
    I've only just heard about this game since becoming a member of TFF. I really need to open up my gaming experiences.

I think that this is one I may have to rent first, seeing as how I am unfamiliar with the other titles that you mention (Farenheit and Indigo Prophecy).

I also haven't played very many choice and consequence games. I think the Phoenix Wright series is the only one that I've played with gameplay like that. It might be interesting, though. The trailor looks beautiful, so points for that right now.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Blog Entries
    Well it certainly looks interesting, though I'm not sure if this sort of story can really support such a huge script, unless there's a lot of extra stuff in there or something. I suppose it's really a wait and see sort of thing though, since I don't think a lot of games fully utilize the ability of games as a medium for storytelling. If it turns out to be more like an interactive novel that would be really cool.

One thing I'd love to see in a game like this is multiple viewpoints outside the protagonist. Imagine if you could play as the Origami Killer or the protag's love interest as well. See the story from all sides and maybe introduce some major gray shading. All the good vs. evil stuff gets tiring after awhile, especially since the real world doesn't work like that. I don't mind the escapism, but a story like this pretty much requires things to be lurking under the surface.

I'll probably wait for the reviews before I think about renting/buying. If the story falls flat it just won't be worth it.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Che
    I've been following this game for a while, can't wait for it to come out. I love when a new game concept comes out, it gets me all wet and excited.

The Quiet One Heavy Rain: The Origami Killer Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know who the characters that you all play, but they said that there are four different characters you play all related some how to the central theme of the Origami Killer. I know one is a detective and another is a woman that might be an investigator. One thing that they did say is that it is possible for the characters you're playing to die if you do events poorly, but it won't be game over. The story will just continue with the other three. It'll adapt to that change and keep going.

When I saw the E3 trailer from like 3-4 years ago it got me excited and curious. And it only made me more curious even I learned details about it. The type of storytelling here really does not come around too often. It should be a really amazing experience. The quality of game is amazing as well.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    I don't know who the characters that you all play, but they said that there are four different characters you play all related some how to the central theme of the Origami Killer. I know one is a detective and another is a woman that might be an investigator. One thing that they did say is that it is possible for the characters you're playing to die if you do events poorly, but it won't be game over. The story will just continue with the other three. It'll adapt to that change and keep going.
    Here we are, the characters. Reading their profiles, and finally knowing who they are was awesome.

I've started seeing more and more images and videos of the game now, which has only made me more excited for it's release next month. The music is amazing, and will bring all the emotion out of this. Collectors edition with its soundtrack for the win! =D

I could almost taste the tears after watching this:

Seriously, the next couple of months are going to be fun with all the games that are coming out.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Heavy Rain: The Origami Killer Jin's Avatar
    Fun for me, not for my wallet.

I've been doing a media blackout on this game since at least October of last year. This is the kind of game I don't want ruined by seeing too much of it before I play it.

I'm excited, I'll say that.

Until now!

Postingway Heavy Rain: The Origami Killer Maciariello's Avatar
    I remember stumbling upon this game on IGN shortly before the Force Unleashed came out in 2008. I saw the tech demo with the "audition" and was blown away by the level of realism and technical expertise put into it. Needless to say, I've been addicted to the idea ever since.

But much like Jin, I've been trying to limit myself to only viewing the trailers and nothing more. The demo releases February 11th, and it's one of those things where I'm not sure if I want to play the demo or not. I KNOW I'm buying the game (have it pre-ordered with the DLC for February 23rd), and taking the chance of ruining something is scary.

It'll be unfortunate for Mr. Cage because this is the perfect kind of game people will avoid or overlook. Something progressive and out of the ordinary shooter genre will largely be swept under the rug in lieu of something more rudimentary and flashy on the surface. Not to mention that it's only on the console with the smallest install base (and yet, in my opinion, the superior console choice).

Heavy Rain will be a lightly treaded path that only an enlightened few will walk down, but a memorable walk nonetheless.

(On a side note, I noticed your sig awhile ago and always had respect for you because you knew a good game when you saw one ^_^)

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    I'll be buying this game for sure.
    Brilliant looking and as soon as I heard it was from the peeps who did Fahrenheit I figured it'd very likely have a great story to match.

Probably a good thing it isn't:
    victoria aut mors

lol

I didn't hear about Heavy Rain till I saw it in Gemma's sig. I did however read about another game that is just like this that is coming out, it stars a women in it. Forgot the name I'll have to find that game informer again.

These games look addicting, way more consequences in this game then any Bioware game, in Bioware you still do the same events, in this game I can just see every play thru just different every time from the very first choice. When I ever get a PS3 I will definitely get this game.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Heavy Rain: The Origami Killer Jin's Avatar
    Heavy Rain does have a woman as one of the main characters and for quite a while, she was the only character that was shown. Are you certain it wasn't the same game you saw, Kyle?

@Silver
    Those Kotaku fan-entered box arts were lawls.

Until now!

That's why I said I need to find that game informer again to make sure I wasn't thinking of the same game. Cause I'm pretty sure it was, was a game informer from like October or November.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games