View Poll Results: Are videogames art?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Videogames are art as fack.

14 35.00%
  • Videogames are not art.

3 7.50%
  • I can't believe that Kojima said that. Videogames are art.

16 40.00%
  • Videogames are similar to art, but are different, and I'll tell you how in my post.

7 17.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are Games Art?

demon slayer Are Games Art? EvT1991's Avatar
    hey, brick breakers art.. its comprised of a bunch of sprites (a kind of image)

heres how the game goes

game= bunch a images, animations, etc

images, animations, etc= art

but, as im NOT trying to start a huge war, ill leave it at that...

I don't know whether games can be described as a piece of art but they are passion in my life.
    I love video games & cannot live without it.

I'll make you famous Are Games Art? Rydia Lover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Che View Post
    the president of Rockstar claims that "There's a total lack of understanding that games are an art form"
    i really dont think that killing hookers and thugs really counts as an art form
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermetal
    But I think this girl is uber hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumour.Delirium
    You ARE my number one, Rydia Lover. <3
    current games playing:
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Assassins Creed Revolutions
    Saints Row: The Third
    Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
    Fallout New Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by Rydia Lover View Post
    lol its an art form.... just really really violent

Quote Originally Posted by Rydia Lover View Post
    lol no not really, but the characters and such can still be. As for the game overall, it's kind of hard to say.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Elder View Post
    lol no not really, but the characters and such can still be. As for the game overall, it's kind of hard to say.
    the only rockstar game i would even consider a work of art would MAYBE, be manhunt, only because when i played it i honestly felt like i was in a horror film.

or max payne, because it was very comic book like.
    Last edited by Rydia Lover; 01-11-2010 at 01:37 PM.
    current games playing:
    Fallout New Vegas

GTAIV and the spin offs from that game are great, I've only played the biker gang one but from what I've played in that the game is really good. An art form? Meh I don't see games as art in the first place.

IF GAMES ARE ART HOW COME I COULDN'T PLAY GAMES IN ART CLASS HUH?
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

thats because YOUR art teacher sux! my art teacher lets us!

(only when we are done with our projects but STILL!

Air from my lungs. Are Games Art? Violet's Avatar
    Why games are art:

People draw the character designs.

People design the backgrounds.

People 3d model.

People have to make music for it.

All the special effects..
    etc.

Without these things, you wouldn't have a video game. People work their asses off to create these things so that you guys can play a game and beat it within 2 days... and for the most part, it takes them years to finish everything before they can put it together. Games are made up of art.

As for the act in playing a video game, it's an activity, not an art. You are not creating anything when you're playing a game, you're not creating anything when you're watching television.

Now that that is out of the way, yes.. there are video games that are fairly crappy and aren't exactly "master pieces", but they're still art because it was created.

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf
    Go to an Art college like the Art Institutes and major in gaming.
    Last edited by Violet; 01-12-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    GTAIV and the spin offs from that game are great, I've only played the biker gang one but from what I've played in that the game is really good. An art form? Meh I don't see games as art in the first place.

There's a difference between Fine and Media Art guys. There's more types of art than just hand drawn stuff, you'd be surprised.
    Last edited by GypsyElder; 01-12-2010 at 01:23 AM.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    Considering things like an upside down latrine have been considered art, I really do fail to see how games couldn't be considered art. There's also that some sculptures are fully functioning whatevers, even though they don't need to be to be aesthetically pleasing.
    victoria aut mors

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Are Games Art? Xanatos's Avatar
    Games are art in my opinion, I mean why wouldn't they be, they contain other forms of art such as drawings, animation, music...and just like any other form of art they can cause emotional results within the person.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    Games are art in my opinion, I mean why wouldn't they be, they contain other forms of art such as drawings, animation, music...and just like any other form of art they can cause emotional results within the person.
    thats what you call media art, like a movie or a music video. but this particular form is interactive.
    current games playing:
    Fallout New Vegas

Spectral Patriot Are Games Art? Chaos_Weapon's Avatar
    Video games are art and the creator are artist! Period!

The Spirals of Death Shall Yield to No One...So Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    Containing art does not make something art necessarily. Games contain art, but are they themselves art? That's the tricky question. No one is questioning whether the music in a game is art or whether the visuals are art. It's whether the game itself is art that is the difficult question to answer.

I want to bring up a game that, in my opinion, proves that games can be art. Has anyone played Flower for the PS3? The game is simple. You control a gust of wind with the six-axis controller (and for once it actually works well) and move from flower to flower, bringing them to life and reinvigorating an otherwise dead world. That's it. There's an end to each level, but there's nothing in your way that's stopping you from reaching it. You just blow around. Sounds boring, doesn't it? It isn't. It's actually one of the most relaxing experiences I've ever had. As each level starts, you're filled with a sense of loneliness as you navigate your gray surroundings. But then you hit a flower and cause it to bloom. And then you do it again. And every time you do it, you genuinely feel good. A surge of emotion rushes through you as you do seemingly mundane and "boring" things. This is how games can be art: the gameplay itself expresses an emotion.

However, your immediate thought, for that haven't played it, is that it would be boring; there's nothing to do. And for many that have played, they still consider it boring (or, considering this is a homophobic gamer crowd, "gay"). Some will testify that Flower is not a game. This is the problem with calling the medium art. Games can be art - Flower proves that - but until Flower becomes an equal rather than a curious pseudo-game that some enjoy, we can't consider gaming to be art. In time, I think this will change, but as it stands now, the medium (and its admirers) simply aren't there yet. We need to drop the name "games" as well.
    Last edited by Jin; 01-12-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Until now!

Air from my lungs. Are Games Art? Violet's Avatar
    Well we certainly wouldn't hang a video game up on the wall in an art museum. It's just a different type of art. So it's still art, it's just not the kind you'd put in with Van Gogh's or Monet's. It's Game Art.. as listed in the majors in the art schools.

Video games can be...hard to classify. It's hard for me to call a game, even one I feel is exceptionally well-made, art. The word presents a certain framework in my mind, and I just can't seem to make games fit into it. Maybe too much 'inside the box' thinking on my part?

Coincidentally enough, there's apparently a symposium being held on this very subject in Atlanta from Feb. 4-6.

Looks like John Romero will be participating, along with some other gaming big wigs. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Source.

Until now!

R-K H、有名な侍の戦争の神ソウル刈り取り手 Are Games Art? Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima's Avatar
    I live in your Mind, your Heart, and your Soul...There is no way in Hell you can ever escape from me! I'm everywhere...
    Blog Entries

Re: Are Games Art?

I Believe That Games Are A Form Of Art, Cause You Need Animation, And Designs, Which Is All Part Of Art. If You Don't Think Its Art, Then Whatever, But Seriously, It Is A Form Of Art.

Sig. Banner made by: Victoria

Favourite Quote Of The Year: "武器ではなく、それを行使する手を恐れてください"(Fear Not The Weapon, But The Hand That Wields It)

Press This Button To View All My Stuff >>>:

Press This Button To View My TFF Family >>>:
    My Older Brother: The legendary Egyptian Pharaoh RamesesII, Whipping Slaves long before the Holy Lord was Born.

My Inspiring Older Brother: Meier Link, (Title Unknown)
    My Brother: Ralz
    My Brother: Fate
    My Sister: Kilala, The Glomp&Huggle Master
    My Interesting Sister: Andromeda, The TFF Goddess
    My Loveable Sister: Waterdragoon, The Water Dragoon
    My Blood Brother: Elyon Demidias, The Next Level Overlord
    My Lovely, Beautiful, and Awesome Big Sister: Dodie, Okami's Sister at Heart
    My Strong willed Big Sister: DragonHeart, The Dragon Collector
    The God Father: Dark Squall
    My Lethal and Shadowy, Yet Humerous and Random Younger Brother: Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus
    My Newest Buddy And Awesomest Big Brother: Black Waltz, The Shiznit(The Best)

Wanna be in My TFF Family, Just ask me.

Press this button to see which Fraternity I'm in >>>:

~Founder & Proud Member of the Arteo Warra Okhun Lataar Fraternity, Also Known as: A.W.O.L. Since 2009~
    A.W.O.L. FOR LIFE, YEAHYA!!!

^^^
    ______________________l l l______________________

/ Been Chilln' & Killin' it since 1992/

Do the elements trust you? Are Games Art? bahamuts heir's Avatar

art is to express yourself so are video games and to play
    You just don't get it at all! There isn't a thing I don't cherish

cuz I'm bored
    lamest death threat: (final fantasy1)"I, Garland, shall knock you all down!"
    my ff family: pm me if you want to join I might think about it
    me
    my imaginative older brother ethan
    My awesome, Final Fantasy IX loving twin, ViviMasterMage
    Short, Innocent-looking, English-obsessed Brother, Fate.
    Fluffy, Vanilla-colored Moogle, Meigumi/Bob
    my hyper and random sister, Firefly
    my Sephiroth obsessed and Okami playing cousin, Dodie16
    Soul-devouring, knuckleburning younger brother, Alther
    -98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature

SHUT-UP!, SHUT-UP!, SHUT-UP! Are Games Art? ~FANTASY-ENDER~'s Avatar
    Currently enjoying life after a long deployment

I believe video games are art, but then again some people believe it isn't. Kind of like fishing some say fishing is a sport and others say its more of a relaxed activity.
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER][/U][/B]
    I FINALLY DEFEATED TERRA IN KINGDOM HEARTS 2 FINAL MIX+
    I give everyone permission to call me Endy, and by the way I got that nickname from FATE, sounds cool
    RPGs THAT I'VE BEATEN.....
    FINAL FANTASY VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII, XIII KINGDOM HEARTS II ~FINAL MIX~+ KINGDOM HEARTS I, II, Re:Chain of Memories (Sora's Story), KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS STAR OCEAN III: TIL THE END OF TIME DOTHACK//G.U. VOL. 1: REBIRTH DOTHACK//G.U. VOL. 2: REMINISCE DOTHACK//G.U. VOL. 3: REDEMPTION ROGUE GALAXY WILD ARMS 4 BLUE DRAGON

MY ANIMES THAT I OWN.....
    KARIN (Complete Series 1-24), INUYASHA (Episodes 1-167), SCHOOL RUMBLE (Episodes 1-26),SHAKUGAN NO SHANA (Complete 1st Season 1-24), BLEACH (Episodes 1-92), MY HiME (Complete Series 1-26), MY OTOME (Complete Series 1-26), PLEASE TWINS (Complete Series 1-13), ELFEN LIED (Complete Series 1-13), NARUTO (Episodes 1-28), THE MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA (Complete Series 1-13)

...Whatever Are Games Art? SquallMLeonhart's Avatar

According to our current postmodern era it is Art if you say it is and having studied art in college I am one of the first to tell you that is being taken way to far. I could pee in a jar and call it art. There's needs to be some form of structure. And no, Videogames are not art. It's creative, yes, but art? No. Absolutely not.

well... yeah i can believe that it's an art but not all videogames.... for me i can't consider the violent ones as an art, you know... that's i can feel for that... well the rst of it yeah it's an art because of the way its made

Saved from wrath
    Romans 6:23

TFFF Ghost Are Games Art? Howling Wind's Avatar

I think games are art. You need artists for games anyway. But I always thought the idea of creating something could be art. Like writing a book or making a movie. Painting. Drawing. I don't know why games wouldn't fit in that list. Or like writing music. ^^

Registered User Are Games Art? Megatron0000's Avatar

Video games are not art. They are a collection of art. Writing is an art and a lot of writing goes into making a game. Graphic design is an art and you have tons of that from background scenery, character creation, and menu/HUD design. Acting is an art and games are using tons of voice actors/actresses now. Music is an art and what game doesn't have music? So the game itself isn't art but its individual pieces are and together it is a collaboration of art to create an enjoyable gaming experience,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2