Thread: Fighting games

Fighting games

I've played them on and off ever since I was a kid.

So which ones have you played? Maybe you still play a few. Any favourites?

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Fighting games Xanatos's Avatar
    Tekken 3 is by far my favorite fighting game. Gameplay wise I always found it to be in between Mortal Kombat (not as simple) and Street Fighter (not as complex). I used to spend so many quarters in arcades just playing Tekken I swear I could have bought PS1 instead along with it. Good times though. Also, I play as Lei Wulong the most.

Street Fighter II, along with its many versions, is another fighting game I'm really fond of. Used to play it in arcades as well, though not as much as Tekken. Chun Li with her thick legs FTW.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike is probably the only good Street Fighter in my book.

But I play Super Smash Brothers: Melee for my fighting games. It's as one of the commentaries say, Smash is free form jazz while other fighting games are just simple music, you have to know that specific combo and only that, while Smash, there are no real combos and you had to create them up and work around how others played.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Boxer of the Galaxy Fighting games Rowan's Avatar
    Tekken 3 and beyond are the best fighting games IMO. Although, having said that, my friend is so talented at the game that if he gets your character airborn, you lose and there is nothing you can do about it. Its known as "juggling" and can be done with practically any character in the game, although for some characters its easier to juggle than others. This is a game breaking concept mostly because you cant defend while you are knocked in the air, and it basically gives your opponent the ability to bring your health to zero if you allow him too knock you in the air at any point during the fight. Its not something that looks cheap, it takes skill to be able to do it, but at the same time I consider myself decent at tekken, but this way of playing really put me off the game.

Most other fighters I played sucked either because a two button combo creates some imbalanced 5 hit technique or its just gluggy combat. Tekken 3 and beyond was the only combat that never felt gluggy to me. I have yet to play a fighting game that feels even remotely similar to it.

Juggling can seem easy but it's not. Avoiding it can be pretty tough too sometimes. Super Smash Bros in any of them have juggling in it and most heroes do it way better than others too.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

My favourite fighting game of all time. This game came out when some of u were still in your mother's womb. Best combos, beast sound effects, best music, best announcer vocals eg in a fighting game still to this day. It came out at a time when I was in awe of just three-hit combos but in KIs "ultra combos" you have the ability to chain over 50,60+ hits together which could also result in being knocked off depending on the level, into a pit of spikes. I loved the sounds of Fulgore and Cinder. I had a crush on Glacius, my favourite character of the game altho I didnt use him as much as I used Spinal. So much fun teleporting n dodging then Id belt out a Monster combo at best. Orchid, her ULTRAA combo is the best in the game for me but I couldnt execute it only my brother could.. He used to kick my ass with Fulgore so I kinda have it in for the guy but hes like the mascot for Killer Instinct.

And before u get any ideas Im not all that interested in the Xbone reboot tch.

Bushido Blade I hd played the year after FFVII was first released, on the same platform. It was a different fighting game system than one Id ever played before at the time, refreshing it was how Id imagined weapon-based combat to be. Made for somepretty tactful and thought out moves knowing one or two hits can end it all so I kept trying to sidestep n counter my brother mind you a well placed sword slice like to the head is enough to end the fight completely. Our fights would last for 30 mins + cause sometimes we both lost the ability to use our legs and he fell down a cliff while I fell into a pit. We had to roll and and stagger our way back to each other for about 10 minutes, in which case we both been working out our best way of attack, we both got close and launched into a desperate lunge from our position bt I faltered n got a sword thru my noggin. Some fights, Id get in a couple non-lethal hits on his arm n leg so hed be hobbling around with his arm dangling by his side then itd be easy from there, the finishing off move, my sword thru his head. But that was while he was getting something to eat. Oh well..Needs to be remade. 1 hit kills and all.

The game with the best intro ever, I used to put Soul Edge/Blade into the PS just to play this intro at full volume and rheg lol. Anytime I would turn on the game, I must watch the intro. For some reason I was never able to skip it. Only game that did that. the directing is supreme and perfectly in sync with the song. I don't think I have seen an intro like it ever since. Gameplay wise the characters had much smaller move-sets than its rivals but it felt way ahead of its time like most games did back then. It was my first 3D fighter where I experienced real use of the third dimension in 3D arenas for the first time, definitely the first to have 3D grass on the floor bt the thing I remember most is that the fights took place in huge 3D locations with details like a tower falling to the floor, or a flock of birds taking off when you landed or took a big hit.
    Soul Calibur II is my 2nd favourite game in the Soul series, out of the ones that Ive played-III, IV n V.
    OoT Link was also a playable character in II but I rarely chose him I thought his moves were boring n limited orr mayb I just didnt kno how to use him properly- like my brother would always say fdGYzc. Yoshimitsu, Talim, Voldo and Tira were my killer team. Ivy was my main default go-to character because she was extremely versatile compared to most characters but I was just really in love with her weapon(as I was with Tira's). That badass weapon looks like a normal sword but it can change state into either a coil or whip which allows you to attack at any range and she had some pretty powerful moves that my brothers had trouble countering hah I had to keep my distance with them so most of my attacks were long-range or Id whip grab him n throw him across the room back n forth, so cheap.. good times. Fun fact: I used to call one of my friends in school Taki because she looked exactly like her but her name was Ivy.

*Street Fighter series-
    Street Fighter- my first ever fighting game..or MK or Ultra man ...2762
    -Love the SFII games, they're the best. There were like 4 or 5 SF games with the number 2 in all the titles in wat I shorten to the SFII era. Played them all but SFII: The World warrior is the fighting game that changed everything. Without Street Fighter 2 n the success of it (and the other big fighter of the early 90s, Mortal Kombat), I really don't believe the genre would have taken off. There would be no Haduken’s, no Sonic Boom’s, Yoga Fire's and no Tiger Shot’s. SFII turbo, SF Alpha 2 n SUPER Street Fighter 2 Turbo are some of my favourites as well. The moving backgrounds were distracting in some stages.
    - Street Fighter III had a bit of parrying in it which requires rhythm, timing and it was easy at times for me to do, but difficult to master but ugh my brother made it look easy -_-
    - Vega was my go-to character but Ryu and Akuma are my faves in SF universe.
    - new graphical touch ups and different coloured costume choices were the bees knees back then for me.. not so much introducing new characters.
    - SF EX Plus Alpha is my favourite Street Fighter. Chuffed I mastered Pullum n her entire command list. When I wasnt using her -Garuda and Sakura- but I always feel like Im playing a second/third class Ryu#rippdoff

Stay tuned for Part 2. Or not. I didnt kno my post was gonna be dis long *scratches head*

What used to be my favourite FG series -Mortal Kombat.
    King of Fighters
    Dead or Alive series:
    - Ultimate
    Marvel Vs Capcom
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
    Dissidia Duodecim012
    Smash Bros
    - Super*
    - Melee
    - Brawl

Death Before Dishonor Fighting games Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have played a great deal of fighting games in my lifetime. But honestly my favorite series of games was the Bloody Roar series. Just loved turning into a monster and wrecking people. As far as games overall Tekken 3 was one of the best. I enjoyed the Soul Calibur games up until 5 then it went downhill for me.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

The Mad God Fighting games Heartless Angel's Avatar
    I've always been big on the Soul series, played every one of em. Played em all like an absolute **** too. Throwing people over your head and out of the ring as Siegfried/Nightmare just never gets old. When I'm not doing that, I'm that guy who just stands there waiting for you to do something, and then either guard impact trolls, or uses the big fancy teleporting moves to evade and counter. But then, that's kinds how I am with any fighting game. I'm never aggressive against people, it's always wait and punish. I've always enjoyed the smash bros games as well, also playing like a ****. And of course Dissidia, which I also play like a huge ****. People don't like playing fighting games with me.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Tekken is my favourite

Boxer of the Galaxy Fighting games Rowan's Avatar
    Okay so this thread inspired me to play Tekken. I played online last night a total of 5 times, 3 times against the same person and twice the other same person (tekken tag 2 online is dying I guess) anyway, I got my ass whipped all 5 matches and threw my controller at the bed cause I didnt really wanna damage it. I then harshly ejected the tekken disk from my ps3 and threw it on the bed leaving fingerprints on the disk. I was soooo angry.

**** tekken players. The game is ruined by people that just juggle. Its just a sad way of playing what used to be a fun game. They use the same juggling move constantly, so I picked alisa and used the same fly kick move (which won me a few rounds) Where is the fun in this way of playing? never playing again.

I've never played online ever. I just play against friends or the comp. I've always had much fun that way

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Okay so this thread inspired me to play Tekken. I played online last night a total of 5 times, 3 times against the same person and twice the other same person (tekken tag 2 online is dying I guess) anyway, I got my ass whipped all 5 matches and threw my controller at the bed cause I didnt really wanna damage it. I then harshly ejected the tekken disk from my ps3 and threw it on the bed leaving fingerprints on the disk. I was soooo angry.

**** tekken players. The game is ruined by people that just juggle. Its just a sad way of playing what used to be a fun game. They use the same juggling move constantly, so I picked alisa and used the same fly kick move (which won me a few rounds) Where is the fun in this way of playing? never playing again.

You can say the same thing about Super Smash Bros games. Virtually anyone you play against today who has been playing it for years will know what every character does and which moves are the best on which character at which percentage on a certain stage. I am still learning some of them, like for Marth you 99% always throw Jigglypuff on the ground but others you have to throw up.

People will ask to play Smash online in the Facebook groups, I'm always down but I also sell people I suck haha. I know the techniques, I'm just not good at executing everything yet. One day. But I do agree, losing to those people sucks when you have no chance at all and you know you're good but you don't want to sit there for the next 2 years getting that good for that game lol.

My friend played Dead or Alive 4 online, was top 200 before it died with community. Now DoA was a great fighting game.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

I used to play fighting games alot, i was a boss at Tekken 3 (prob my fav too) I could bang out kings 5 grapple combos in a heart beat. Only problem is my friends were never good at them and they never wanted to play after a short while and now i have nobody to play fighting games against so kinda went off them, which is a shame as id like to give smash bros a good go

I loved Soul calubur (played it on my dreamcast) was kick ass with Kilik and Maxi (i think his name was) oh and Cervantes was OP to play with also, great game with great characters, nearly on par with Tekken 3 for me, my interest in fighting games dwindled after Soul calibur

There may be a small smash bros community around you. Look around Facebook or smashboards.com
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Cervantes is awesome, with all his teleporting bullshit. You can beat most veterans just by spamming that crap.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

TFF's Resident Messenger Fighting games Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if I should be surprised that the Virtua Fighter series of games has not been mentioned yet or not. I like those games, and aside from the WWF wrestling games and King of Fighters XI I played, Virtua Fighter games were the main fighting games I played. Despite that, I am not good at fighting games. At all. I don't have the patience to study the move lists, and always resort to random button presses when I play. I have never played online, because I am nowhere near the caliber others are at; and I choose to not embarrass myself in anything other than shooters.

I don't mind watching others play. It is very nice to watch.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Fighting games Xanatos's Avatar
    I totally forgot about Dissidia, one of the deepest fighting games ever. No fighting game can match the sheer content Dissidia offers.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

And it's the only fighting game in which I've ever made kills in under one second.