Thread: Fans May Cry

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Fans May Cry Xanatos's Avatar

Fans May Cry

So far I've been living under a rock when it came to news related to new Devil May Cry, after a huge fan outrage I decided to lift my rock and see what's all the fuss about. Emo Dante! Aside the black hair (aparently, black hair makes you emo these days) I'm having difficulty seeing what so emo about him. I gave demo a try and saw few clips, after all this emo talk I was expecting a mopy, negative, wrist cutting Dante, instead I saw foolish, arrogant, cocky and moutfull as ever Dante. I'm puzzled, did definition of emo sudenly change with release of new Devil May Cry?

Another thing I kept hearing is how easy this game is. "Son of Sparda", and "Dante Must Die" look challenging enough I suppose, then I stumble upon "Heaven or Hell" and "Hell or Hell". In first both you and your enemies die Contra style with one mere hit, while in second all your enemies are at their best while only you die with one hit. I'm seriously getting rusty if this is considered to be easy these days. I began to read reviews, there was a certain pattern to them, Devil May Cry has far better story, voice acting and level design than it's predecessors which I honestly believe is true as story and voice acting were in particular rather weak in older games. From my own expirience and from what I saw battles are dynamic, fast and seem to be faithful to their source.

I'm sure this game has it's fair share of flaws, but user score of 4.1 on Metacritic, I somehow highly doubt it's that bad. Are people seriously pissed off about Dante's design to make such outrage or is there something more to it that I don't see? Your input on this matter and the game itself would be much appreciated.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Appearance wise the new Dante now looks like a scrubby, dirty commoner where with his original look it was unique and suited his character and origins. I see that stupid 'emo' label being tossed around if anything it would have been better if he was emo because he'd open his douche flaps a lot less. Dante also used to have a certain class that is missing here. A character's appearance shouldnt deter one from a game but everything about this new dante makes it hard not to. If they hadn't made him such a complete ass end I would have been able to watch the trailers and play the demo without cringing/facepalming both hands n groaning "O..M..G" everytime. The new dante character model and dialogue is appalling. Hes crass, vulgar (cussing, flips people off) He's the spitting image of an adolescent who relies on swearing to act cool where with the classic Dante it just came naturally without any resort to profanity. DmC Dante is everything BUT badass. He also has angel/demon blood, instead of having human/demon blood ignoring all the origins of Dante that were already explained in the first game (i.e. Ebony & Ivory being crafted in the demon world for Dante hence why they CANT overheat over crappyreboot retelling). The game’s writing in general is embarrassing (looks like its been written and designed by an angsty 13 yr old who just discovered sex and cursing whilst listening to Screamo).The charm of the earlier games has vanished. There's too much sex and violence for my liking, and it all comes across as bizarrely childish for a product made by adults (plus dante just had to look like the lead designer of this new game). Although the gameplay is still fun and excels in areas but not enough to turn in my favour over previous games. For one the Style ranking only drops if you take damage where in previous games, it dropped over time and upon taking damage. This discourages the exact thing that the other games encouraged: aggression. There's little reason to take risks or stay close to the enemy when it's easier to raise your ranking by playing defensively and attacking from afar which is what I used to do when I sucked donkey balls. In the previous games you were encouraged to vary your moves. Here, damage seems to be the primary factor and there is really no incentive to go for long combos. This might be trivial but one of my favourite things about the DMC series was everything felt incredibly powerful and sounded powerful when you hit someone/thing but in DmC guns esp have no force behind them n it irks me it feels passive in that sense. I play Devil May Cry for its fast-paced gameplay n action n *likeable* characters not for its masterful character development and insightful story lmao. Gameplay is the series strong suit but to start with a 60fps then downgrade to 30fps it loses fluidity and thus ruins the immersion, you cannot "see" the difference between 60fps and 30fps, you FEEL it, how the responses change to your input, you just can't feel as precise with the controls, I need to react to enemy attacks and moves as they happen esp for a console hack and slash game with DMCs fast-paced combat system. Did I mention this dumbass says the F word like every other sentence?

In all honesty, I dont mind DmC on its own, I find myself not relating it to the original. I still think its a decent game if playing the demo, watching trailers and gameplay walkthroughs are anything to go by but the dialogue...the writing...is toooo painful for me to endure X__X I much prefer the original style over this reboot. As a whole, DmC does not suck, it is(not just looks) a decent, fun game (never undervalue the importance of fun when it comes to video games) but feel is subpar for DMC which didnt need to reboot. It would have made for a much better new I.P. and won some of the DMC fans that are having legitimate complaints over the reboot that are still partial to hack/slash type games.

All that said I'm not willing to shell out on something I'm really not sold on. Im playing Devil May Cry:HD Collection on 360 right now n I just cant help but know classic Dante would say this to new donte then actually shoot him in the face, maybe eat a pizza afterwards and Vergil: http://i.imgur.com/VzPetGe.jpg

And finally

I didn't read any word in this thread. Just pointing out that this DMC is a Western Reboot, sadly they suck at capturing the western look.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, I'm not even a huge Devil May Cry fan (honestly, I prefer the soundtrack to the hack and slash gameplay - sue me), but I was put off by his new look. What's with the short hair and punk-teenager attitude. What happened to that cool Dante who sat up behind a desk taking up demon slaying jobs, and where did the drunk, trailer trash, STD crawling Dante come from?

However, I watched the opening scene, and loved it. It was well done and was pretty funny. I'm not too sure if I like the new Dante, but I liked what I saw. I can try and view it as an all together new game, and that makes it look better I suppose.

I'm going to get my hands on the HD collection before I pick this one up. It'll be far cheaper in a few weeks, so I'm not too fussed with waiting.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Death Before Dishonor Fans May Cry Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As I fan of the series I will admit that the look change up on Dante kinda pissed me off. But I will play this game as I am sure that it will have a sweet ass storyline, and awesome gameplay.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Fans May Cry Xanatos's Avatar
    Some mature responses regarding DMC, you don't see these often around the internet these days. I'll be honest, I hate Vergil's design a lot more, and I do agree, there was no need for reboot. DMC 4 was pretty good. Speaking of DMC 4, when it was first announced that Nero will be the main protagonist there was a similar fuss, I guess the overall message here is "you can poop on everything else (I'm looking at you DMC2), but don't mess with Dante".

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity