Thread: Duke Nukem Forever Review.

Boxer of the Galaxy Duke Nukem Forever Review. Rowan's Avatar

Duke Nukem Forever Review.

So yesterday was June 10th (Australia) and I rushed to JB HI-FI after work to purchase my copy of DNF. After hearing some rather average reviews from the demo, I decided to see if the full version made some improvements and also to see if the negativity it was given had any truth to it. Being a Duke fan and playing the originals from the early nineties, It had that unfair advantage over other games. I have only played through about 2 hours, but I think ive got the gist so far, so here goes.

Gameplay: Duke is back and he is as badass as ever. The epitome of masculinity and chauvinism. Theres SO many sexual references in this game, its so over the top and its just fantastic. The humor is there and Duke never fails to get me in stitches. The first scene of the game is him pissing into a urinal (this is controlled by the player), after you decide for him to be done, you can then move over to a toilet and pick up feces and throw it around. Seems incredibly immature to mention such a disgusting thing, but the fact that you have the option to do these things is absolutly hilarious.
    There is also a drawing board you will come across in which you can take control of various coloured markers and draw on a whiteboard. Some people have even taken the time to draw anime characters. While these are only side mini games within duke, they definitly deserve mention because its things like this that make the game quite fun and unique.

Not too far into the game, the action begins and you are thrown into battle against a giant monster who shoots rockets at you. Pretty non standard for a game. First fight is a boss battle. The weapons in the game are fantastic, staying true to Duke 3d (total meltdown).

A few things have bothered me a little. You can only hold 2 weapons at a time, so if you see a gun dropped by an enemy that you really want, you will have to sacrifice one of the guns you are currently holding. While this may seem more realistic, it takes away the fun of having the option to have many guns. In my opinion, Fun should surpass realism. Another thing I didnt really like is that the mouse seems very floaty. Its something thats hard to explain, but if you play shooters you might understand what I mean if I tell you that when you try to aim, its almost as if the mouse is slightly delayed when you try to aim. Thats the best way I can explain it.

Graphics: Here is where people complained the most. I dont really have much to say other than GET OVER IT! The graphics in duke nukem arn't stellar, but what were they expecting? A new benchmark revolution in gaming graphics? The graphics are fine and do justice. The depth of field has been complained about the most. It just seems to me like people are finding faults to complain about. While it could have been better, it doesnt really need to be and shouldnt be considered a negative.

anyway, the game so far has lived up to my expectations. I really want to play it now so im gonna cut this review short. If anyone has the game let me know how you like it.

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Duke Nukem Forever Review. ZantetsukeN's Avatar

Re: Duke Nukem Forever Review.

I'm getting the game either today or tomorrow (depends if it's still raining when I leave work today) and I can't wait! I've been watching the trailers for the last couple of days and it looks awesome. From what you have described, it sounds amazing, so I'm definitely picking it up.

Also, don't you get a trophy/achievement for throwing the, ahem, poop?

Boxer of the Galaxy Duke Nukem Forever Review. Rowan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZantetsukeN View Post
    I'm getting the game either today or tomorrow (depends if it's still raining when I leave work today) and I can't wait! I've been watching the trailers for the last couple of days and it looks awesome. From what you have described, it sounds amazing, so I'm definitely picking it up.

Also, don't you get a trophy/achievement for throwing the, ahem, poop?
    I actually dont know. I've got a bunch of achievments and I didnt notice getting one for throwing sh*t. But I probably did. Its my first happy purchase in a long time. Ive had so many dissapointment buys, this has brought my faith in gaming back a little.

let me know what you think of the game!

OK, I got it yesterday, and it is awesome! It's the most fun I've had playing a game in quite a while.

While no-one expected it to be the most amazing game in the world, I've found myself really enjoying it. I never played the other games (really, really wanted to though), so the experience is a new one for me.

The game has been hilarious. From the opening scene, to the ability to create your own autograph in a child's book (if you didn't draw what I did, you're waaay to mature and/or have the wrong sense of humour to be playing this game), to the ability to punch a massive alien boss in the crotch, it all been funny.

The one thing that really does bug me though is the loading times between levels. This also applies to if you die. It does take an awfully long time to load, which adds to the annoyance of dying. You can't just start it up and try again. You have to wait a good minute before you can get back in there. Also, those boar things are really hard to kill, yet can kill Duke in a matter to seconds.

Apart from that though, I am loving the game. Definitely one of the wisest purchases I have made in terms of games this year.

PS: Yes, you do get a trophy for throwing the poop :/

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Duke Nukem Forever Review. Xanatos's Avatar

Judging by reviews on few major sites Duke doesn't live up to it's expectations it seems, nevertheless, I'm still excited, now more than ever as I'll be getting my copy in few days.

I still have fond memories as far Duke goes, Duke Nukem 3D is one of my favorite FPS games, the very first Duke Nukem was, well, one of the very first games I played. As for the graphics issue I keep hearing about, just recently I played Final Fantasy III, the NES version, that should tell you how important graphics are to me...

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

I think people were quick to shoot DNF down because of how long it took to come out. When you take that out of the equation, it's a very good game. Although, I never played the last ones (although I'm playing Duke Nuken 3D on my PC now), so I wasn't caught up in the hype.

Also, graphics really aren't as bad as some critics have said. Although, since when did graphics make a game?

Lady Succubus Duke Nukem Forever Review. Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No, that's not why it got shot down. It's not cause of graphics or anything like that. This is just a list of likes/dislikes, but I think it's pretty accurate.

I'm not saying the game is horrible and I'm not arguing against people liking the game; if you like the game, that's fine.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Duke Nukem Forever Review. Xanatos's Avatar

No matter how terrible people tell you this game is, you have to see it for yourself, which is exactly what I did yesterday, late as always. It's not horrible as reviews would like you to think, but it's a bad game nevertheless.

Graphics aside (something I never really cared for), this game has some serious bug issues, textures loading 10 seconds after you entered the area, noises that don't belong there, things like that. DNF reminded me how much I hate brainless shooters, it's pretty much head from point A to B and kill everything in your way, there's no exploration as in Duke Nukem 3D where you would be awarded with extra ammunition or some kind of pun. As for action itself, I'm probably one of the few who doesn't have a complaint here, I wasn't even bothered with the fact that Duke can only carry two weapons, opponents were little bit stupid but that's about it.

Maybe I've grown too much or I've lost my sense of humor, but Duke is not nearly funny as he used to be. There were few more things that bothered me, aliens having their way with the abducted girls for instance, though I think I said what's been already said countless of times before. I don't blame Gearbox, they were given bits and pieces, and they did the best they could do with it.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity