Thread: Dragon Quest V

Certified tech, come at me! Dragon Quest V SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dragon Quest V

Started playing this game once again, I haven't actually beat but I intend to fix that one day. Who here has played this title whether it was a translated rom or the DS remake? I don't want to hear stuff like: "i never played it but I played this dragon quest (insert other game of the series here)."

If you played DQV what did you like about it and what didn't you like about it?
    Currently Playing:

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Dragon Quest V ZantetsukeN's Avatar

Re: Dragon Quest V

I have the DS remake. I too have not finished it, but obviously intend to. It is a great game. I always love the battle system of DQ games, and also, and is silly as it sounds, I like when they drop you somewhere and you have to ask people for clues. It makes it more challenging.

The characters are great, as always. The DS has the 3D camera thing going on, which add a bit more depth into the environments. Instead of having the typical, old school RPG environments where you never can see anything behind the buildings.

The game does remind me of DQVIII (the only other DQ game I've played ), in terms of music, character and environment design. It was the main reason I loved DQVIII so much, so to have more of that in another game is obviously a plus from me.

Overall, DQV is a brilliant game that I soon hope to beat.

Blog Entries

played it on the emulator, I really enjoyed the game.

PROS:

+ great pacing throughout the game, the story just flows perfectly from one part to the next, hardly a slow moment in the game. Just when you are in the comfort zone too, BAM! plot twist. <3 it!

+ battling was quite lenient in regards to levelgrinding in typical DQ fashion, at least earlygame; even the game paced the difficulty of fights rather well.

+ lots of different enemies; idk why but this is a big thing for me, it makes the game fun rather than fighting the Green Leafs and wtf ever they were called in FF6 (the two starting enemies), kept things interesting!

+ lots of characters, at least in the later half of the game. There are all kinds of people (and monsters too) that you can recruit.

+ probably the best storyline out of any DQ game. Kept me hooked.

CONS:

- no classes, I was really bummed because games like DQ3 and DQ6 are what really initially brought me to the series. Instead, all the characters/monsters learn abilities just the old fashioned leveling up way.

- lots of dungeon crawling. It's not bad the first half of the game, but the second half is a crawl through all sorts of dumb puzzles filled with random encounters that hit you with high frequency.

- near the end, the game almost like fades off into obscurity with the storyline. It still cleans up well with the ending but the last couple of hours just gives you the feeling of "wtf am I doing?"
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Registered User Dragon Quest V jcsimpson's Avatar

I liked the premise of DQV and I bought it and began playing it and not putting it down but, for some reason I lost interest towards the end. I did the same thing with the DQIV and I'm not sure why...I just lost interest and then eventually got rid of them when I was maybe an hour away from the end. I can not figure it out because in both games I liked the story, characters, battle system and monsters.
    Habitant vegetable soup blows the balls off every other vegetable soup

.............. Dragon Quest V smurphy's Avatar

I found it to be an excellent game up to the point where I stopped playing it. I think the combat is perfectly balanced and as well as that the story is excellent. Having the game set in multiple eras where choices in the earlier one affect the story in the subsequent era just adds so much to the game. I played up to the point where a "Grappling Hook" was required, couldnt find it and gave up. An all too familiar story with me.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill