Thread: Dragon Quest IX

Relaxin' with Final Fantasy Dragon Quest IX KainsBro's Avatar

Dragon Quest IX

Thinking of playing DQIX, has anyone else here ever played this game? Is it similar to DQVIII?

Blog Entries

Re: Dragon Quest IX

I own it. I know a lot of people who loved it for the multiplayer aspect, and apparently the downloading of different maps or something? *shrug* But I didn't really get into it. There isn't much of an overarching, gripping story that I could see from like the first 15 or 20 hours or so of the game (I think that's how long I played. I played for a while.) And your party consists of a silent protagonist and random characters you create, who are also silent, so no character development (except maybe for the people you go on quests for.) I mean, I guess DQ8 wasn't long on character development either, your party members (aside from the silent protagonist) at least had personalities. And the world doesn't really immerse you like DQ8 did either.

So I'd say "no," but someone like Cesar, I believe, might say "yes." Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Registered User Dragon Quest IX

I had this one. Thought it was fun at first. Definitely thought all the variety to customizing your characters was nice, and the monster designs are so cute sometimes *girly tee hee~* Then it got reeeeeeaaaaaal grindy to me, and like Tele said it could have used a stronger over-arcing story. I put in like 24 hours to the game and called it quits after getting to some Winter Academy place. Pretty sure most of that was doing sidequests and hunting for stuff to do alchemy though.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

I liked this game for an hour or two, then I was bored.

Note: I'm not a huge Dragon Quest fan.

the night man cometh Dragon Quest IX Joxsjua's Avatar

1st time playing and got to the intro-scene(45mins later) looks, good. Same artist as * that did DBZ, right? To be honest I've read more of the manuals than I have played the game.. there's a huge class system that advises you to stay away from the the newer classes if you want to advance quickly.
    I'm a huge DQ fan and played 8 a couple time through but to be honest so far the best were only on the NES system ...3 is way better than 4, 4 just doesn't have the replay value. I'm trying to play FF3 and Tactics for my first time right now but I'm realizing that FF 4 is continuously my favorite. Maybe I'll have better insight when I get past the first hour of DQ9 but the class system kills me, after you've read that the new classes are bunk.
    Only game I've appreciated on the DS so far is Zelda Phantom of the Hourglass.