View Poll Results: Chrono Cross or Chrono Trigger

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chrono Trigger

25 65.79%
  • Chrono Cross

13 34.21%

Thread: Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger

Don't bash it till you've tried it Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger MILK's Avatar

Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger

The two games that start with the word Chrono! Basically i want to know which of them is your favorite game and why?
    Mine is personally Chrono Trigger because its just a great game with a great old battle system...the story is amazing and Magus kicks butt...and on the other hand i hated Chrono Cross and still cannot stand it...

My TFF Family

My annoying, random, and video game-addicted cousin Ralz

My gunslinging, chicken obsessed younger brother H.U.N.K

Well Im only half way through with Trigger,but Im sure that I would say that one considering the fact that its freakin awesome.I think my main attraction is not only the artwork of Akira Toriyama with Squares genius but also the joint techs that are so numerous.On the other hand I havnt had the pleasure of Cross except through alot of reading and the games original preview.If I may ask what about Cross couldnt you stand T.G Cid cause Ive heard great things so Im just curious.
    Last edited by Blackbird VIII; 06-27-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Don't bash it till you've tried it Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger MILK's Avatar
    well ive never really read any of the reviews and whatnot but i have cross....the graphics reminded me too much of like a Legend of the Dragoon knockoff....thats not very important but i really didnt like the story though i plan on beating it anyways just so i can add it to the list of square games

My TFF Family

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger Treize's Avatar
    I also like Chrono Trigger better. When I played Chrono Cross, I was kind of let down. Chrono Trigger has a great story, good characters and a decent battle system. Chrono Cross on the other hand has an average story and hardly developed characters. Probably the worst part about Chrono Cross is that there are nearly 50 characters and only a few of them are actually developed. I ended up liking the characters that did get developed, but I didn't really care about the other 30 some characters at all. I think the only thing that I liked more in Chrono Cross was the music. Chrono Cross started out like it could be a really great game, but it wasn't that great. Unfortunately though, I didn't finish the game. I got probably half way through the second disk and I ended up not finishing because I didn't really like the story. I'll probably finish someday, but for now it really isn't one of my top priorities.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

(well ive never really read any of the reviews and whatnot but i have cross....the graphics reminded me too much of like a Legend of the Dragoon knockoff....thats not very important but i really didnt like the story though i plan on beating it anyways just so i can add it to the list of square games)

Alright then well that makes sense but I might enjoy seeing Legend of Dragoon graphic style in Cross.Anyway Trigger rules so whatever.

Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger Shan'do Spike's Avatar
    I believe the best way to summarize the difference between these games is the quote I once heard: "Chrono Trigger has 1/9th the number of characters of Chrono Cross, but they have 9 times the combined amount of personality." Pretty much in all aspects of the game (although Cross's music is awesome), Trigger dominates Cross. The storyline is better; the combat is better. The characters are WAY better. Trigger is or is in the discussion for the greatest RPGs of all time. Chrono Cross doesn't even get a mention for the best PSX RPGs.
    Last edited by Shan'do Spike; 06-27-2009 at 03:44 PM.
    Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust
    Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.

-Ferdinand, The Duchess of Malfi, V.V

very well stated but where is it in discussion for best rpg of all time..are you serious or just saying haha?

My TFF Family

Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger Shan'do Spike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Cid View Post
    very well stated but where is it in discussion for best rpg of all time..are you serious or just saying haha?
    Well, that's obviously up to personal preference. I personally feel it's the best RPG of all time, but that's my opinion. Certainly the characters and story are both good enough to merit consideration, and I feel they're the best I've ever seen done, but I can see arguments being made for other games. I'm sure I'd know people who would make arguments for FFI, FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, maybe even FFIX. You'd probably also see people make arguments for more tactical games like FFT or Disgaea. You'd probably get a bunch of votes for Super Mario RPG as well.
    Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust
    Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.

-Ferdinand, The Duchess of Malfi, V.V

Spash
    Chrono Cross.

I don't understand the hate for multiple character choises. It didn't bother me at all. No one said you have to play with all of them to complete the game. I love the fact that every character had their own accent.

I grew up with Chrono Cross and it's my favourite game of all time. Storyline was awesome, battle system is one of the most successful in RPG history, not to complicated and easy to comprehend.

And yes I played Chrono Trigger, it's an awesome game and it's definately the best game of SNES console, but for me, it's nowhere near better than Cross.

Ofcourse it's all about personal taste, I can't argue if you hate it or not, it's all about personal opinion.

Shinryu
    Chrono cross was better because it way more characters and a better storyline...
    And I love the battle system too.
    Thats just my opinion, though.

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger Treize's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spash View Post
    I don't understand the hate for multiple character choises. It didn't bother me at all. No one said you have to play with all of them to complete the game. I love the fact that every character had their own accent.
    The "hate" is because there are far too many playable characters and none of them are developed enough to care about them. I know that I don't have to play with all of them, but I don't want to play with any of them except for Serge, Kid, and maybe Lynx, and Harle. I think the only thing I can be thankful for is that Chrono Cross doesn't have as many horrible characters as Suikoden. I think it could have been so much better if there were maybe 10 well developed playable characters throughout the game than nearly 50 hardly developed characters. I really liked Serge and Kid, but the rest of the characters were not that great. If I remember right, there were even some characters that were not developed at all. They pretty much just joined the party to add more playable characters to the game.

Also I find it hard to believe that the storyline was better than Chrono Trigger. I know I didn't play through the whole game, but up until half way through the second disk it was pretty boring and I don't think the ending could have been that epic. I guess this is a matter of personal opinion though.

Adding to my last post, I also think I like the battle system in Chrono Cross more than in Chrono Trigger, but having a better battle system and better music definitely does not make it better than Chrono Trigger.

Finally the graphics are probably better in Chrono Cross also, but it is much newer so it really better have better graphics.

I did like Chrono Cross, but I don't think it can compare to Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger has an epic story and very likable characters, but Chrono Cross has an average story, and 9/10 of the characters are not very likable or at least weren't developed enough for me to like them. Chrono Cross had potential to be better than Chrono Trigger, but in my opinion didn't follow through and ended up not being as good as Chrono Trigger.
    Last edited by Treize; 07-01-2009 at 12:27 AM.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

#LOCKE4GOD Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, I've only played the DS port of Trigger, and I haven't even seen a copy of Cross, but I have a friend who owned it and completed it, so my opinion isn't entirely valid. Still, based on my playing of Trigger, and my second-hand relay of Cross, I'd have to go for Trigger. Trigger is an awesome game; as Shan'do said, it's definitely up there as one of (if not the) best RPGs ever made. Goodness knows how it's held up to time. The same doesn't seem to be able to be said for Cross (that sentence sounds funny). What with Cross' 50-odd characters, things could get pretty messy. When I play an RPG I want the characters equally developed, and, despite forming favourites, I try to play them all equally. How the hell am I meant to do that on Cross?? I'm trying to find a copy of Cross atm, but my vote is clearly for Trigger as it currently stands.

shipp6107
    For me Chrono Cross is my favorite Rpg of all time. Amazing music, Loved the Graphics (many different forms), battle system, and yes.. not all the characters had compelling storylines but that doesnt take away from the ones who do. And besides, there are plenty of Rpgs with seemingly worthless characters but that has never took away the fun. What makes this game awesome is the replay value.... it is a game that pays for itself over and over and i cant get enough of it. Chrono Trigger also gets props because it was wwwaaaaaayyyyy ahead of its time. I just like Cross better....

steven caban
    I have to go with Chrono Trigger...
    Cross was amazing, fresh, the music was amazing,
    but i grew up with chrono trigger and its just classic.
    too bad they will probably never make chrono break or another sequel.
    Last edited by steven caban; 07-16-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Personally I would have to go with Crono Trigger. To me it was hands down the supirior of the two titles, outside of the previously mentioned music. Honestly I would of liked to see Cross come out as an independant title not affiliated with Trigger. I might of enjoyed it more if it was done that way.

Cross did have a multitude of characters that had decent back stories but they where no where as well developed at Triggers but I did not have a problem with the abundance of availibilty that Cross provided; kind of gave it a Suikoden feel to the title. I really felt more connected with the characters from Trigger though.

Along the lines of story I would have to say Trigger owns over Cross. There is just so much more that happens in trigger and the variaty of different endings makes the game much more appealing.

As for graphics I would have to say Trigger takes the cake, it was revolutionary as in comparison to Cross's graphics which where average for it's time of release.

I actually loved the fact you could spand time (hence crono) and what ever you did in the past could and would adversly affect the future. That gave Trigger a great advantage over Cross.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Blog Entries
    So, I've never had a chance to play Chrono Cross but one thing that I'm kinda suprised about is that more than just one person is saying how the music was superior over Chrono Trigger, which is kinda hard for me to believe. CT had an amazing soundtrack and you guys are honestly telling me that CC topped it? Just kinda suprised, thats all. But I'd have to agree from looking at the storyline and how things unfold throughout both games, I'm gonna have to give Chrono Trigger the edge here because the game was a very polished work of art in my opinion, while Chrono Cross more reminded me of a fan service type of game that really seemed not 100% complete.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Zerokku
    Chrono Trigger. Cross was needlessly convoluted with way way way too many characters. It did have a superior soundtrack though.

Registered User Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger
    I loved Chrono Trigger. I didn't get to play it when it first released for the SNES, but I got it for my DS. I've only beaten it once, so I still have, like, a ton of endings to see. I gotta play through it again one of these days. I want to see what happens when you get the bad ending.

I haven't played Chrono Cross. I may do some research on it to see what it's like, but from what the polls show, it's not as good as Trigger.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger V_Translanka's Avatar
    Cross has its good points, but being better than Trigger ain't one of 'em.

There's an absolutely devastating number of characters in Cross that just serves to detract from any possibility of good character development (I only count Kid & Harle among the 40+ characters as having a good amount). I also wish that they had been able to show SOME emotion from Serge (perhaps just a few different character portraits even) because he was such an emotionless husk (c'mon, at least Crono had an effing surprised sprite!). The battle system was a lot of flashy junk piled on to what could have been something really interesting if any of it actually mattered. While I enjoyed the soundtrack, I mostly enjoyed a couple specific tracks & I also think Trigger wins out with more variety. One important redeeming quality for Cross is its interesting, deep story. I like Cross, but I wouldn't say it was as good as Radical Dreamers, much less Chrono Trigger.

Trigger is a legend that's hard to live up to.

Death Before Dishonor Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have yet to play trigger but I did play cross and I thought it was a great game not incredible of amazing it is certainly not that good but it was great...

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Jrag
    Chrono Trigger for me. When I first played Chrono Cross I just felt confused. There was way too much shit going on with the Frozen Flame, the Time Crash, Dinopolis, the role that Crono and everyone from CT played in setting up the plot for CC. Just too hard to follow and way too much going on for it to really be enjoyable. That being said, I'd like to give the game another try. I remember just being massively confused by the plot and how everything tied together from the first game. So I think I might enjoy it more after a fresh replay of CT and being a bit older now.

Blog Entries
    It is a difficult game to comprehend but if you give it time it gets much better or at least I think it does...

I haven't had the chance to play Chrono Trigger. I have only played Chrono Cross for PS One. Not sure if it was remade for any other system. I actually miss playing it and hpoe to find another copy. My brother accidently sold it along with some of his old Dreamcast games.

Do you think Game Stop will still have old PS one games laying around? I never really took the time to check and see. I want to see if I can get it again, my file is still saved on my memory card till this day. I think I played it between 7th and 9th grade, so it's been there for a while...

And yes, Chrono Cross has fantastic music, I still remeber some of the songs I liked and the places
    Last edited by GypsyElder; 09-29-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TenseikenSlash View Post
    Do you think Game Stop will still have old PS one games laying around? I never really took the time to check and see
    i'm sure gamestop has a copy lying around or at least my gamestop does so finding one at ur local gamestop should be a very simple task...

Ultimately I have to say CT, even though I usually prefer newer games.
    CT was a great experience all around without any glaring flaws and especially the battle system was awesome.
    I have yet to see any rpg pulling the combo tech system off nearly as good.

On the other hand Cross had amazing visuals, but the rest was kinda subpar.
    Of the characters the only one standing out is Kid, everyone else was boring/unimportant.

The story was also kinda bad. It started out fairly well, but then did nothing for a long time and at the end got rushed with every conclusion being dumped on you in a single room.
    It was fairly bad to boot, simply poor writing.

The battle system also started out fun, but soon got tedious and stupid. In the end it also was so easy that it was much harder to keep bosses alive long enough to steal elements from them then to kill them and especially the final boss was one of the most annoying ever.

But the real answer is:
    None of the above. Radical Dreamers. It's more or less a Visual Novel for SNES, but it's totally awesome.
    In it Kid is awesome and even Serge rocks because he has an actual personality (a fun one, too).
    And as if the main story wasn't good enough, there are several other short bonus stories which are nothing short of hilarious.

Waiting for your sister to turn 18 Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger chrono's Avatar
    chrono cross is a good game but it pales in comparison to chrono trigger!

chrono trigger is one of those games that leave you with a wow feeling afterwards

Registered User Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger Megatron0000's Avatar

Re: Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger

From my experience if you loved Chrono Trigger you Hated Chrono Cross but this doesn't seem to be true the other way around. I love CT and absolutely hate CC.

Lord Deity of Harmony Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger Elyon Seraphim's Avatar

Chrono Trigger wins, Period. By thinking it's one of the most awesome masterpieces the time when it was released, And it still has it's former glory even today, But there's
    an small problem, But i don't really care for it, It's that you can start over the
    game from the begining with same level and equipment, Sure... It's cool and stuff,
    But when it comes to this game... No... I rather start the game from entirely
    the beginning with level 1 stats and equipments.

Other than that, Chrono Trigger wins all the time, Awesome grafics, Animations, And
    the fact that almost everything is entirely original, The joint attacks were fun
    to use, I'd like having Crono, Frog/Glenn and Ayla in the party.

But at the end of the game, I used Chrono, Frog/Glenn and Magus.

Haha, Nasty smart idea to hide the final boss's weakness in an uninstresting looking enemy, I made me look like an question mark when i killed the middle but it
    wasn't over.
    My Reaction of People That Points The Obvious

This is my Daily Day in 2Fort
    My TFF Family:
    Still working on rewamping this, Just give a shout if you wanna join!

Relaxin' with Final Fantasy Chrono Cross vs. Chrono Trigger KainsBro's Avatar

I played both, love both, but I like Chrono Cross better!

But I'd rather play Secret of Mana!