Thread: Breath of Fire Series

Breath of Fire Series

Aside from FF games, I've also played both BoF 1 and 2 during the SNES era. Must say they bring back good memories, so I've started playing BoF 2 and am finding it very fun again. Are 3 and 4 just as good and worthy of playing as well, as I'm thinking of trying them next?

Also, out of them all, which one is the best one, in your opinion? The second one is the best for me so far.

Ayyye Breath of Fire Series Lacquer Head's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've only played the first two (and loved them) but I've heard mixed reviews on the latter games. Some people love em, some hate em. Just give em a try, if you don't like em, oh well. As for best...it depends, I liked both about the same.

I really liked 3, but I couldn't really get into 4. I've heard bad things about 5 (Dragon Quarter), but I haven't played it myself.

My favorite would probably be 2.

Cool. I'll definitely try 3 then. I think, as with other games, it has something to do with them being "softer." Do we see alot of games with ultimate evil trying to bring the ultimate destruction to mankind? Nope. Games have become too cliche and not so colorful and vivid. Maybe I'm exaggerating too much, but still.

Certified tech, come at me! Breath of Fire Series SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Odin, have you heard about the Breath of Fire II retranslation? its a major improvement over the US snes translation of the game and the translators even went as far as to give the game an animated intro and added a dash button function to the game. Also the part where child ryu fights the monster and loses is removed from the retranslation.
    Currently Playing:

I want to play a game. Breath of Fire Series Zargabaath's Avatar
    I played a fraction of BoF III, and it wasnt too bad. I do need to get to I one day. I have BoF IV off a PSN, haven't played but heard it had a pretty good story.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

I may have to check that retranslation out. I'm not exactly sure how you fish with a lod.

Having said what I did, I think 3 is probably a more solid game than 2. 2 being my favorite is mostly nostalgia.

Cool, I'll be looking for the retranslation one, but I hope the regular savestates work with it as well, so I won't have to start all over. I'm pretty far in the game now. Also BoFIII being more solid has really gotten me interested. Will definitely try it afterwards.

Ayyye Breath of Fire Series Lacquer Head's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dragon Quarter is a pretty dark game >_> not sure soft quite describes it.

- - - Updated - - -

Dragon Quarter is a pretty dark game >_> not sure soft quite describes it.

Starting up the retranslation of 2 and read through some of the translation notes. Only a couple of minutes in and the difference in scripts is astounding. Even very simple lines have been made many times better. It's just a shame that the game treats its characters pretty poorly, generally making them unimportant once their story arcs end. This could have been something truly great.

Thanks a lot for sharing the info about it, I probably would have never come across it.

Mystyrion

Breath of Fire Series

I'm going to buy 4 when I get home. It looks like a fun game after watching a few game plays on it.

It sort of reminded me of Super Mario RPG to be honest.

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 Breath of Fire Series T.G. Oskar's Avatar
    Story-wise...well, I believe III is superior. It has very strong competition from the second and fourth games, but even with the small map, you feel there's a LOT to explore in the game. The world feels HUGE, and the way it binds with the first game, does a slight reimagining, and tackles so many things (the decline of the Dragon and Wyndian clans, the supremacy of humanity, the progression of the world) in such an "organic" way (as in, it feels natural, and makes sense)...

Battle system...IV is by far superior. The combo system is great, the ability to switch between characters just as much, and the ease with which you can learn new techniques and abilities and customize your characters with the masters (one of the key aspects of character development of III, but improved) makes it a wonderful experience when fighting.

Music...all games have great music. I mean, between Dying Corpse (the second battle theme from BoF II), the second Overworld Theme (full of passion, with a hint of jazz), Donden (the special boss battle from BoF III), the battle song against Myria in BoF III (it uses the leitmotif of Caer Xhan and turns it into a final boss battle), Bastard Sword and A Warring God (the boss battle themes of BoF IV on the Western and Eastern continents, respectively)...it's a pretty complete selection.

As for characters...all characters are usually great. If I were to incline towards a group of favorites...it's quite hard, but it's between II and III. All I can say is: the best Nina is the one from II (she's a hottie there!), and both Katt and Rei really make a case for the Woren being the third major clan from the series (alongside Humans and Wyndians). The best representative of the dog clan (Windrunners, if I'm correct) is Scias, though. Then there's Sten (most badass Highlander, once you get to his part of the story), and of course GARR ('nuff said).

I only have two things I feel angry for. One is Dragon Quarter. The second is Capcom not making any more BoF games. You can figure I hold the first premise responsible for the second.
    Delivering scathing wit as a Rogue using Sneak Attack.

Pester me on the Giant in the Playground Forums if you really need me.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

'Tis a shame I can only place names now...:
    Silver, Omnitense, Govinda, Aerif, Meier Link,
    (whatever is the name of) The Stig, Grizzly, Fishie,
    Craven, Spiral Architect, Flash AND Froggie.

Spaces still available. Join today!!

Nomu-baka, this is FAR from over...:

Thanks for the cool info. It seems the BoF guys are doing their homework. Will we ever see more BoF's in the future? Any news on that?