Thread: Anyone play Octopath Traveler at all?

Blog Entries

Anyone play Octopath Traveler at all?

I got it right before my vacation ended, and have been playing it off and on. It definitely has a feel like an old school JRPG, although it has voice acting... but you can turn the voice acting off, which I did.

I think the characters are pretty good. They each have their own story, and are fairly well fleshed out. They only really get progression when you're playing their part of the story, though. I've been playing for 20+ hours or so now, and I've gotten through the first chapter of each character, and chapter 2 of 2. It seems like you gotta do some grinding in this game, and the grinding takes a really long time, because you can't really one hit kill anything until you're like 15+ levels where you you're suggested to be in a given area. And then the boss battles take FOREVER to get through, seemingly regardless of how much you've grinded beforehand. The last one I did took a half hour. I was never in danger of losing. It just took for freaking ever.

So yeah. Has a good feel, but is SLOW.

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Anyone play Octopath Traveler at all? Treize's Avatar
    I’ve wanted to try it, especially since it’s on PC now. I definitely like older turn based combat systems. I’ll have to get it on steam.

I’m not sure if the game is related story-wise, but project triangle strategy is also looking cool. I’ve heard good things from people who have played the demo, but I don’t have a switch to try it. Maybe I should get one if this game turns out to be great.

I want to play a game. Anyone play Octopath Traveler at all? Zargabaath's Avatar
    I had a good time with Octopath Traveler, I beat that game last year. I will concur that to get to Ch 2 it does take a bit of grinding. The good news is that the subsequent chapters are not that bad and levelling gets quicker. I actually liked the voice-acting for the most part, but I have never been picky about English voice-acting. Certain bosses do require specific characters or classes to make it go faster that much is for sure.

I will say that they should have weaved the party into the other stories a bit better. There is an instance in Cyrus' Ch 2, I believe, that does not make sense if the other party members were there. But for it is worth, I enjoyed the game. Music was pretty good. I did get save scummy with trying to steal from people for good equipment or items. Overall I found it to be a solid entry from SE and a nice homage to older JRPGs.

The new Dragon Quest 3 2D-HD remake will have a similar graphical style which will be nice.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x