Thread: 4 Heroes of light

Boxer of the Galaxy 4 Heroes of light Rowan's Avatar

4 Heroes of light

So I got a 3DS from my lovely girlfriend as an early birthday present (I reciprocated by purchasing a ps Vita for her, she really wants to play Persona 4 the golden when its released) and I thought that I'd try out Final Fantasy the four heroes of light. So far, I am impressed with the game as it succeeds to give that old school feel whilst actually being intuitive with the battle system and customizations. Some things that have stood out to me is that when you equip any piece of weaponry or armor, the appearance of each item is unique and is reflected in your characters appearance. I find things like that to make the game far more enjoyable. Its nice to be able to see awesome armor as well as getting the bonus stats from it. The battle system is rather simple. You select your commands whether you want to attack or cast an ability and then see how it plays out. You cannot select which enemy you would like to attack, or which character you would like to heal. The enemy with the lowest health will be targeted automatically and the character with the lowest hp will be healed. I dont believe this applies to items though. Abilities are in the form of books or 'tomes' which you need to make your character hold in their personal inventory (where other equipment is) and abilities can also be aquired through the equipment of 'crowns'. Crowns are a form of headwear that provide stat bonuses, unique abilities and a special advantage with a certain class (in a way, they provide a class). They can also be upgraded with gems which are recieved at the end of random encounter and boss battles. Upgrading these crowns will increase their stat boosting effect as well as granting you even more unique abilities. Crowns can be switched between any character and they also provide great personality to your character with their visuals. So far its played very well. I have read that the game becomes very difficult in the the mid to late stages so I'm looking forward to that. Have any of you played it and care to share your thoughts?
    Last edited by Rowan; 06-20-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Re: 4 Heroes of light

Just found out that enemies scale with you, this is a battle mechanic that disgusts me since it takes away any incentive to battle. The idea in 4 warriors of light is to upgrade armor using gems obtained after battle. I can see this being okay but only until you have obtained the full party and means of transportation to take you back to the only town that allows you to do this.

Now having played it more Im starting to think the game isnt all that great, there are many shortcomings these so called reviewers failed to mention when giving out their final scores. Enemy level scaling is a big ****ing no no.

Mystyrion

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Just found out that enemies scale with you, this is a battle mechanic that disgusts me since it takes away any incentive to battle. The idea in 4 warriors of light is to upgrade armor using gems obtained after battle. I can see this being okay but only until you have obtained the full party and means of transportation to take you back to the only town that allows you to do this.

Now having played it more Im starting to think the game isnt all that great, there are many shortcomings these so called reviewers failed to mention when giving out their final scores. Enemy level scaling is a big ****ing no no.
    I was under the impression that it didn't get that great of scores. Thats why I never picked up the game.
    But thanks for posting this. It just reassures me.

the night man cometh 4 Heroes of light Joxsjua's Avatar

They scale with you 0.O? Crap, that ridiculously not cool! That is a crucial detail that they left out of every review I read as well. How far did you get into the game-play in hours? Is it in any way tolerable?
    I just got it but maybe I'll just have to start Dragon Quest 9 or Zelda Phantom Hourglass instead. ..I was so psyched to. I'm contacting 'Sexual Harassment Panda' cause I feel violated.

I'm almost halfway. The thing is, there is a way to farm gems without killing enemies, but it's time consuming. In a game like that, battling is really the only thing you would want to do. It sucks now. I'm gonna start dragon quest IX also