Thread: 360 or PS3?

Kiss with a fist. 360 or PS3? Dranzer's Avatar

360 or PS3?

Which would you recommend? I have an X-Box 360, but I'm thinking of trading it in and getting a PS3, anyone have an opinion on which they think is better? I really haven't had too many issues with the 360, I've just been looking up the PS and kind of drooling over it. Anywho, don't be bashful - I've read a few reviews, but wouldn't mind hearing what y'all have to say on the matter.

PS- Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I was going to post this in the 'console help' thread that's stickied at the top of this forum, but I didn't think my question quite fit there.

soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
    happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
    PRK9 ♥ Prestige+ ♥ GDEAA

Blog Entries

Re: 360 or PS3?

PS3 textures look better. Overall graphics are the same-ish. Xbox live is $$/month. PS3 has live. Xbox you can listen to whatever music you want/chat with whoever you want on whatever game you're playing. PS3 this is very rare, as programmers have to add the music feature to their game. You can only chat while in-game on PS3.

Free+Slightly better graphics>Xbox. IMO

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み 360 or PS3? ZantetsukeN's Avatar

It was hard decision for me to make, but I chose PS3 over 360. I chose it because it had better exclusives and free online service. Also, because I had the money

PS3s on the whole are generally more powerful machines, both graphically and performance wise. 360s may be cheaper, which seems like a good thing, but as I always say, things are cheaper for a reason. While the 360 may be good, and I am not a PS3 fanboy/360 hater, I feel the PS3 is a better machine from a technical standpoint.

If you look at online, it's down to preference really. If you don't mind paying for the service, and be able to play with more people online, then pick Xbox. If you like free services, but perhaps less people online, pick PS3. However, before I get jumped on about this, people with PS3s are growing in numbers, which means more an more people online. I will just say this, based on the communities I have witnessed from both consoles, you get a lot more immature people on Xbox live.

If you lookm at exclusives, both consoles have their merits. Xbox have Gears, Halo, Alan Wake etc that are great games. PS3 on the other hand have Killzone, Infamous, Heavy Rain etc. It's a toss up, but to be honest, PS3's exclusives are more my style, I'm not a huge shooter person.

Overall, I would always recommend getting PS3, but it is completely down to preference, as all things are.

Nobody Shaves Me 360 or PS3? Gummy's Avatar

Since you're on a Final Fantasy forum, gonna assume you're into JRPGs. In which case it's PS3 hands down. The JRPG PS3 exclusives are much better imo. Plus I just like the PS3 better over-all, the main menu is much nicer, free online, Blu-ray player, more powerful. Think it just came down in price as well?

Kiss with a fist. 360 or PS3? Dranzer's Avatar

@che
    We seem to be on the same wave length as those two things (free & better gfx) were the top things on my list regarding my considering switching. Not to mention some of the games that are exclusive to the PS3 hold my interest more so than XBox. As for the chatting & music, that's not a super big deal to me. I don't really chat much while gaming, but when I do that's what I use MSN and sites such as this for; in regards to the music, I <3 pandora I tend to play it from my iHome anyways so that's not too big of a deal either.

@ZantetsukeN
    I'm not a big shooter person either (I have my moments), but I was playing Halo frequently when I first got the 360. I really didn't make the choice initially, it was a Christmas present and I wasn't about to protest as I think it's a nice system all around, but my gaming interests are kind of changing. The only game I play for the XBox now is Fable 3, but I beat it three times already and it's kinda gotten old. Okay, not kind of, it has. Assassin's Creed is another one I've played a lot, but that's available on the PS3 also.

@Gummy
    You're correct, I still have my PS2 hooked up when I get into those kinds of moods. I've honestly made up my mind about switching over I just wanted others' opinions (& possibly future friends to add XD). As for price, yes it came down recently and they're also selling reasonably priced bundles now.

Also, that leads me to my next question. What size is appropriate do you think? I was gonna go with the 160GB - what do you all have?

soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
    happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
    PRK9 ♥ Prestige+ ♥ GDEAA

Nobody Shaves Me 360 or PS3? Gummy's Avatar

Mine is a 120GB which is more than enough for me since all I store on there is pictures, game data, and music. 120GB seems plenty if you aren't gonna put on a load of films. Never even filled my 80GB (which died on me).

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み 360 or PS3? ZantetsukeN's Avatar

120GB is good and all, but it is amazing how fast you fill that up. During my first year with my PS3, I filled up 100GB, just on game data, saved data (which takes up KB anyway) and a bit of music. Since then, I have upgraded it to 500GB, which is plenty.

Also, and this is where PS3 falls for me, is upgrading the HDD itself. Xbox is pretty easy, and much quicker than PS3. PS3 took me 6 hours to back up data, removed the HDD, then put data back on. Xbox, I understand, is a lot quicker, and easier as it is an unclip-replace kind of deal.

I think size is based on what you use the system for. If you are looking at playing a few games, bit of music etc, then 120GB is fine. But if you are like me and like to save EVERYTHING, then you are going to need a lot more than that.

I got the 360 because you pay 60 a year for online. Because it lets me know that what I'm paying for is safe with security, so nobody hacks it. Also the community is probably better since half of my PS3 friends left PS3 because of it's community.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Boxer of the Galaxy 360 or PS3? Rowan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    I got the 360 because you pay 60 a year for online. Because it lets me know that what I'm paying for is safe with security, so nobody hacks it. Also the community is probably better since half of my PS3 friends left PS3 because of it's community.
    Just because noones decided to hack it, It doesn't mean that its unhackable. Ps3 had a target on it's head because of a certain lawsuit and changes to do with its firemware/hardware pissed off the modding community. I would definitley reccomend Ps3 over Xbox simply because I have played both, and ps3 is superior to the xbox in terms of hardware, interface (some may say thats personal preference, but I believe my word to be truth) and its overall design. Its an entertainment center with blu-ray capabilities and a loyalty to RPG genre games. If you want to play crap like Halo and other lame shooters, get an xbox. If you want to play visually stunning RPG's and Survival Horror with no lag, get a ps3. Noone cares about 'Kinect' or even "platstation move' because noone usually puts their ps3 in an empty room required for movement. Both just calaborative gimmicks to hammer the last nail in the coffin of Nintendo Wii.

The Quiet One 360 or PS3? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Though if you're following gaming news, there's a claim from a Newspaper that the 360 just recently got hacked. Microsoft is denying the claims and to some degree it seems like the Newspaper is over stating hacking, when it is actually phishing, but either way. The 360 is no more ignored by people looking to steal or exploit others than the PS3.

But I would say you will probably want the largest HDD you can get for the PS3 or get the cheaper one and immediately upgrade it to a larger one. I'm planning at some point to get a 500 gb for mine because the 40gig I have is just too small. I have to delete game data a lot because it adds. I do have one game consuming 20 gigs of it, but even still it adds up fast.

I'm not even a person that plays a ton of games, but I find the 40 to be too small and I'd probably find the 120 too small as well. Because if you do the install on your games it will end up filing things up quickly. If you replace your HDD early you won't have to worry about the backing up of data. The only hassle will be burning the firmware to a CD to get the new HDD with the fireware. Sony explains all of the steps and the backing up process is probably the longest. Replacing HDDs is really fast.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have both now, and I still prefer my PS3 (my Xbox I'll probably only buy exclusives for, and play some of the original games on it). I had a 40GB and upgraded it to a 640GB, with a 40GB drive spare for anything I want (which, as Andro stated, is very simple to do). Xbox HDDs can be upgraded too, but I've found them to be pretty damn expensive for the GB you'll want to buy.

PSN is free to use too, and with the option to upgrade to a Plus service which gives you a few free PSOne classics, Minis games, themes and avatars each month, and even comes with an online utility to back your save games up onto (bloody handy imo, especially if you want to switch HHDs, or if your PS3 backs up).

I also find the XMB on the PS3 easier to use than the Xbox menus. The Xbox menus and dashboard seem all over the place to me - it took me a good forty minutes to work out how to change the theme and auto-sign me in on the thing. The XMB is much more organised, and smoother to scroll around on.

Exclusives are good on BOTH consoles, but I love the Uncharted series, Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles, Resistance, LittleBIGPlanet, the Yakuza series, inFamous, etc... Xbox has Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect (first game), Infinite Undiscovery, Lost Odyssey, Halo, etc... so I'll go with PS3 again.

EDIT: Also, both consoles have flaws. A lot of games look better on Xbox in 1080p, whereas a lot of PS3 games can't even hit that. I've heard of a lot of Xbox's burning out playing L.A. Noire, and a lot of PS3 games slowing down when the memory gets too high.
    Last edited by Unknown Entity; 11-24-2011 at 05:35 PM.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post
    EDIT: Also, both consoles have flaws. A lot of games look better on Xbox in 1080p, whereas a lot of PS3 games can't even hit that. I've heard of a lot of Xbox's burning out playing L.A. Noire, and a lot of PS3 games slowing down when the memory gets too high.
    Any source? Because I've heard and witnissed the exact opposite. Ive seen FFXIII on xbox, as well as having 4 seperate discs, the supposed 1080p looks like trash on xbox compared to ps3. Many people claim that ps3 upscales games to 1080p, this is false. If it is 1080p, it will display on monitors that are capable of displaying 1080p, just as 720p etc. Its true many ps3 games are in 720p, but they still look spectacular.

I agree with you about XMB looking much better and organised than XBOX's... whatever you want to call it. Far too cluttered for my liking.

Edit: Although Its worth mentioning that ps3 and xbox are both capable of outputting 1080p, the quality of the image is dependant mostly upon the screen you are using. Although xbox's version of FFXIII played on the same screen looked noticably worse.
    Last edited by Rowan; 11-24-2011 at 07:41 PM.

I've always preferred PlayStation over Xbox. PS3 has slightly better graphics (or so I've heard; I've never actually compared them). I don't like the Xbox controllers. Too big. The PS3 controllers fit in the hands more nicely.

I've just never been much of an Xbox guy at all.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy

Up Next: Final Fantasy II

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan
    Any source? Because I've heard and witnissed the exact opposite. Ive seen FFXIII on xbox, as well as having 4 seperate discs, the supposed 1080p looks like trash on xbox compared to ps3. Many people claim that ps3 upscales games to 1080p, this is false. If it is 1080p, it will display on monitors that are capable of displaying 1080p, just as 720p etc. Its true many ps3 games are in 720p, but they still look spectacular.
    Source? Look at the back of game cases. Almost all Xbox games can reach 1080p, with pretty much all PS3 games only going up to 720p. Sure, 720p on the PS3 is ****ing spectacular, but why not 1080p?

I'm also the proud owner of both consoles in the same room, and linked to the same television set with separate HDMI cables. I haven't had the chance to try the same game out on both consoles, but you can see differences with just a switch of sources.

As many people know, I'll pick PS3 every time because it's my favourite console out of all the latest generation, but from what I've seen, I can't really say a word when presented with this argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal~Killer
    I've always preferred PlayStation over Xbox. PS3 has slightly better graphics (or so I've heard; I've never actually compared them). I don't like the Xbox controllers. Too big. The PS3 controllers fit in the hands more nicely.

I've just never been much of an Xbox guy at all.
    Completely agreed there. My hands hurt if I play the Xbox too much, and the buttons feel a little looser to me. Call me bold, but I think PS3 controllers are made with a little more care.

>>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

[QUOTE=Unknown Entity;1321424]Source? Look at the back of game cases. Almost all Xbox games can reach 1080p, with pretty much all PS3 games only going up to 720p. Sure, 720p on the PS3 is ****ing spectacular, but why not 1080p?[QUOTE]

Guess thats upto the developer then. Not a console issue. I dont have many games. The only one in 1080p is final fantasy. I assume there would be more games in 1080p =/

try ff13 on xbox and tell me if you think it looks jagged and lame.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Guess thats upto the developer then. Not a console issue. I dont have many games. The only one in 1080p is final fantasy. I assume there would be more games in 1080p =/
    Well, it kind of is a console issue. I think it's an issue when an Xbox can play a game I like on the PS3 a little better. And there are a good few games in 1080p for the PS3, but not all necessarily games you'll want to get for your collection.

try ff13 on xbox and tell me if you think it looks jagged and lame.
    I didn't say it was. And whoever says such is talking out of their ass - FFXIII looks amazing on both consoles.

>>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT

DigitalFoundry- Final Fantasy XIII Xbox 360/PS3 Comparison &bull; Eurogamer.net

Ps3 is better. I dont know why you're arguing. Just accept it.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

There's one thing you can notice in the games on both consoles. Some games run better on one, some the other and often the difference is barely noticeable. FFXIII? Better on the PS3. Red Dead Redemption? Grab that baby on Xbox 360. It can be good having both, you can look into which console plays which game better, and pile up all the delicious exclusives. Really good actually, some games are buggy as a prostitute's crotch when released on one console, until patched, and work beautifully day one on the other. So you can play right away, or you can either deal with a horrible experience or wait. Generally the PS3 can handle better textures (If they're even included, the vast majority of the time the games look the same. Dragon Age Origins was nicer though, and the video on FFXIII was a bit crisper). The 360 on the other hand generally has faster load times, especially when a game is installed to hard drive and lacks the mandatory installs of a good few PS3 games.

Then you have the controllers. I generally use my PS3 these days, as it doubles as my media box without relying on streaming. (The PSN video store kind of sold me as Australia doesn't get netflix). I miss using a 360 controller badly - it seemed to fit my large hands better, had higher quality triggers and most importantly, the left analog stick is right under my thumb, in a better position now that games often use it over the d-pad. You can get 3rd party PS3 controllers that switch the analog stick, but none have those awesome triggers, much better then stock though. That said, the PS3 controller has something the 360 controller lacks (as does the 360 controller if you count the original PS3 controller which skimped out on rumble). Motion sensing. And it can be bloody amazing in some games - Heavy Rain for instance. Not so much other games, Heavenly Sword had me swearing on occasion. But it really does add to the experience in some games like Heavy Rain dramatically.

Online service, XBL is better, but you pay for it where PSN is free. It doesn't strike me as that much better these days though, except in terms of integration. On the 360 you can party chat with people in other games, access more settings without leaving a game, substitute own music instead of game music (offline too) all via the guide button menu and stick a headset in mid game and it will work. I can't say the same uniformly for PS3 games. PS Plus is nice though. You pay for membership and get games, themes, avatars and the like free, often good ones, which expire only after you stop being a member, and discounted games (often a nice discount) which are yours to keep indefinitely. It's nuts how large my game library has grown thanks to it. 360 still has a much bigger downloadable games library that gains quality exclusives, and sometimes gets games a good deal before PS3 does. Oh and that resolution discussion I was reading earlier? A good deal of downloadable games on both hit a crisp 1080p, I imagine it's as the consoles don't really need to struggle to run most of them.

Also noteworthy, if a PS Plus member ($$, but totally worth it), you can keep game saves in a cloud and have your PS3 automatically download updates for all your games when not in use. And from what I hear, if you can use netflix in your country, it's free when using PS3 to use your account, you need to pay for Xbox Gold on 360 to use it.

And yes, it's true the 360 has more games in 1080p. Don't know if many still give enough of a damn about the console war at this point to still maintain them, but there were several lists a quick google away last time I checked. From what I understand, the PS3 is better at running games at a lower resolution with far more special effects, and the 360 goes for grunt, can't handle as much on screen at once, but certainly does some things (like resolution) right. A developer put it like this on a bog I read. It's true that the 360 would never be able to run Uncharted 2 without noticable changes, but the same can be said of wanting to run Gears of War 2 on a PS3. Paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it.

Hopefully I've mentioned most of the good points and bad points of each. They're really not all that different most of the time. I have a preference for 360 for straight gaming, but I haven't touched one in a while because of using my PS3 for several things lately. Don't really care enough, until there's an exclusive I want.
    victoria aut mors

Professional Klutz. 360 or PS3? Hyzenthlay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Just because noones decided to hack it, It doesn't mean that its unhackable. Ps3 had a target on it's head because of a certain lawsuit and changes to do with its firemware/hardware pissed off the modding community. I would definitley reccomend Ps3 over Xbox simply because I have played both, and ps3 is superior to the xbox in terms of hardware, interface (some may say thats personal preference, but I believe my word to be truth) and its overall design. Its an entertainment center with blu-ray capabilities and a loyalty to RPG genre games. If you want to play crap like Halo and other lame shooters, get an xbox. If you want to play visually stunning RPG's and Survival Horror with no lag, get a ps3. Noone cares about 'Kinect' or even "platstation move' because noone usually puts their ps3 in an empty room required for movement. Both just calaborative gimmicks to hammer the last nail in the coffin of Nintendo Wii.
    Lolz whut? Are you serious? The XBOX 360 has a hoard of cool exclusive games. I'll ignore the fact that you tried to slander the phenomenon that is Halo... for now.

You can't just dismiss games like these:

Fable 1, 2 & 3
    Lost Odyssey
    Infinite Undiscovery
    The Last Remnant
    Mass Effect 1

(Survival horror!?)
    Left for Dead 1 & 2
    Dead Rising 1

Crackdown 1 & 2
    Gears of War 1, 2 & 3

And the Wii is far from one nail away from being six feet under. It continues to dominate Sony in the worldwide market. Skyward Sword is up there with the best new games. It's nominated for best game 2011. Dunno what you're thinking of. Nintendo are a great developer and I think the Wii U is going to be HOT!

My PS3 is better looking right now but when my Star Wars 360 comes that will change.

Anyways, the question-

I'm not exactly loyal to Xbox but I do prefer a lot of the games on offer. Halo is the only FPS that I always buy. It has a cool storyline. I feel like MW are constant clones of eachother. MOH was bitterly disappointing, too. I was actually pleased when I saw that Revelations beat MW3 into the ground in unit sales recently. Take it down a peg.

The PS3 does have some very cool games though. White Knight and God of War spring to mind.

At the end of the day, regardless of graphics or resolution, the most important thing in a console is its games. Choose the one you think you'd enjoy more. PS3 does have more RPGs but the 360 has some great ones too.

EDIT: Great post Furore. Very good points.

Hyz.
    Last edited by Hyzenthlay; 12-04-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    Cogito, ergo sum.
    PRK9, putting the Kitty back in Por Rorr.
    Most likely to have supernatural babies- TFF Bogus Awards 2009- Winner

Princess Sugarsprinkles Quistis's Avatar

Always had PS/PS2/PS3 and never felt the need to look at XBOX. So, take that however you will. I cant really make a comparison based on that statement but I'm just saying that I have been very satisfied with my PS3 so far and I owned it since MGS4 release (I got the PS3 with MGS4 bundle)

Registered User 360 or PS3? The furthest light's Avatar

I have a 360 and to be honest it's brilliant in comparison to the PS3, i've played on the PS3 and to be honest I didn't see a massive difference, I'd go for the XBOX 360 definitely.

Mystyrion
    My honest answer both.

They both have their pluses.

PS3: free online, blu ray, less discs per longer game, usually has better graphics, usually cheaper over longer periods of time, exclusives usually score higher on average than 360, better overall tech specs, lower failure rate (than the older 360's).

Xbox: more of my friends have an Xbox so more playing with friends for me, online is much more stable, more exclusives, from what I've read more developers like developing for the 360, voice controls are much more superior, downloading games, patches, etc, is much more hassle free on the 360, more backwards compatibility than the PS3 (excluding the two models that offer it for ps2 games)