View Poll Results: PVP?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like to PVP, but I'm mainly a PVE player.

6 37.50%
  • PVE onry.

1 6.25%
  • PVP onry.

2 12.50%
  • It's gonna be fun to do either one!

3 18.75%
  • I just want to control my own airship full of hookers.

4 25.00%

Thread: To PVP or not to

Che

To PVP or not to

In a recent interview with Hiromichi Tanaka and Sage Sundi, there's been some new information released.

They talked about how they are only focusing on PvE at this time. Basically they feel PvP servers are only a small portion of a playerbase with exceptions, they note WoW. PvP will be worked on at a later time.

This concerns me personally because I am a huge fan of PVP. I'm wondering which way to interpret this. A)they will focus on PVE mainly, but will still get PVP balanced, although it will be on the backburner or B) they will focus on PVE first to make sure it is complete for beta, then focus on balancing classes for PVP, but in the end both will be the same.

Anyone have any thoughts on PVP in FFXIV?

A big flaw with World of Warcraft that spells were always balanced around arena and they refused to make spells work differently in PvP from PvE with a few exceptions such as Curse of Doom (Does a big chunk of damage after 1 minute, of which its on cooldown, can't use on playable characters). I along with many other people felt that too much focus on PvP ruined a lot of balancing issues and PvEer's always had to suffer as a result.

Personally I like to PvP on the rare occasion but I'm not a big fan of it, I've never been a competative person and I hate it when those type of people are in my face especially the idiots who go on "PvE is just fighting scripted bosses". Pretty much I just hate the PvP community and their mentality and don't want to see it carry over to FFXIV.

Quote Originally Posted by Angantyr View Post
    A big flaw with World of Warcraft that spells were always balanced around arena and they refused to make spells work differently in PvP from PvE with a few exceptions such as Curse of Doom (Does a big chunk of damage after 1 minute, of which its on cooldown, can't use on playable characters). I along with many other people felt that too much focus on PvP ruined a lot of balancing issues and PvEer's always had to suffer as a result
    I don't think it was because there was too much focus on PvP, its juts blizzard had some stupid obsession with Arena and balanced everything around that. Which is pretty retarded in my opinion. They started changing too much stuff with each patch.

I think if SE were to do PvP without some kind of arena system they could probably get away with it being balanced, just when you go into 2v2's etc you throw that balance out of the window.

I personally love PvP and would hate for it to be a last minute thing that they throw into the game just before release, because thats where all the problems start and classes start getting nerfed/buffed since there hasn't been enough testing done.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    I don't think it was because there was too much focus on PvP, its juts blizzard had some stupid obsession with Arena and balanced everything around that. Which is pretty retarded in my opinion. They started changing too much stuff with each patch.
    Err that's what I was meant to say, PvP is balanced around arena more so than battlegrounds which is a bad idea as people generally prefer Battlegrounds over Arena. Blizzard did the right thing making 2s no longer give rewards and I'm keen to see how rated battlegrounds will work out.

Che
    Balancing around 2v2 was terrible, I admit. But there's two types of content in the game. While I'd rather neither make sacrifices for the other, it's not a perfect world. Plus you PVE guys love the challenge, so nerfing and changing abilities only helped your gaming experience!

Kairug

Re: To PVP or not to

I probably agree with the majority(FFXI users) when I say that PvP will be as big as it was in FFXI, it had a small percentage of people who participated every once in a while but the vast majority of dedicated players concetrate on the actual PvE experience. I never got into the PvE scene due to the fact I was farming for sky, 2 dynamis's a week, Einherjar, Merit parties up the rear, assaults, and when I was bored, leveling up a job I never wanted to play lol.

My reply......nah, I liked the experience of fighting alongside people, it gave me a more rewarding feeling.

Kairug

Blog Entries

I am going to disagree with what Kairug said. I think that PvP is going to have a much bigger role in this game. WoW has really idolized competitive elements in MMORPGs, like Arena, PvP, etc and I think that if FF14 wants to grab those audience people and have a large playerbase, then they will adapt to it.

I can see it being something big, and if SE is smart and wants to make money, then they will make it into something big.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Kairug

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I am going to disagree with what Kairug said. I think that PvP is going to have a much bigger role in this game. WoW has really idolized competitive elements in MMORPGs, like Arena, PvP, etc and I think that if FF14 wants to grab those audience people and have a large playerbase, then they will adapt to it.

I can see it being something big, and if SE is smart and wants to make money, then they will make it into something big.
    Rocky could possibly be right, we don't know what SE has in store for us and I can't down the idea until i have tried it on FFXIV. I just know from experience, I didnt like PvP from WoW or FFXI, but there is a chance they could revamp things in the next installment. Maybe we can pull a few of the WoW players over to the light side. /hurray

Registered User To PVP or not to darknesse's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I disagree with what some of you have said on wows arena system, though i may be one of the few that actually enjoyed it. Im more of a PvE person myself, though i found it was something i enjoyed from time to time.

However, i would prefer this to have the smallest effect possible on the PvE side of things, as most do

Registered User To PVP or not to

I personally believe it should be primarily a PvE based game, but it should have some PvP elements.