Thread: New Interview about FFXIV

The Quiet One New Interview about FFXIV Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

New Interview about FFXIV

Well someone on the internet was kind enough to do some translation on a recent interview from Dengeki Game Magazine. The interview isn't long or in depth, but it does provide some new information to think about in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by Dengeki Magazine
    Q:How much of the game will players be able to experience in the beta?
    A:We started at about 10% of the final product with the playable Alpha version and are ultimately trying to perfect the underlying game system. The bulk of the game won't be made public until the retail version is out.

Q:Will the servers be named after summons like in FFXI?
    A:There's no doubt we'll use names familiar to any FF fan, but the scheme will be a little different than FFXI.

Q:What can you tell us about the transition from the Beta to the final version or about world transfers in general?
    A:Once service starts, we want to make it so you can move along with the friends you make during the Beta to the same world. As for world transfers, that may be a possibility in the future, with some limitations probably.

Q:Does the main story concern the Eorzeans and Garleans battling over the continent of Aldenard?
    A:At first, the story will open in Eorzea, that is, the continent of Aldenard and its surrounding islands. However, the Garlean Empire is based on another, larger continent.

Q:What part does the mysterious power (Echo) or the crystals play in the story?
    A:They serve as the basis for the whole story. We want you to discover the truth behind this as the story unfolds during play.

Q:Will Chocobos make an appearance?
    A:Of course! However, we are still exploring ways for us to use them in a unique way compared with FFXI.

Q:We've only seen airships being as army warships so far, but will there be any that adventurers can ride?
    A:Of course there will be vehicles to transport adventurers around, but you'll have to wait a little longer for the details.

Q:Give us the highlights on character creation.
    A:We've focused on really allowing the player the freedom to make any kind of character they would like, and designed them to be a much more natural fit with the game world. Depending on your class, even your starting equipment will be different.

Q:Can you change the age of your character?
    A:There are no age settings, but to some extent you can alter their appearance to look more experienced.

Q:So, your starting equipment changes based on the class you choose?
    A:Starting equipment does change based on your class? However, the equipment you wear from then on is completely the choice of the player.

Q:How is the magic system?
    A:Magic is classified by levels and by the school the spell is from. For example, spells that serve the same function (e.g. heal HP) might have a different level of potency, an area of effect, longer casting time or higher MP cost depending on the school of magic the spell is from.

**Translator's note: The answer used very general terminology, but it appears to reference how a healing spell can be classified as Cure I, Cure II, Cure III under White Magic, or at the same time, Pollen under Blue Magic. So there are different levels and different schools that refer to the same function.

Q:Will there be any familiar spells that didn't make their way into FFXI?
    A:While there will be familiar spells from the Final Fantasy series, a lot of the magic that didn't make it into FFXI simply can't be used in an MMO. If it's too difficult to work in an MMO environment, we can't say it'll appear.

Q:Can classes other than Disciples of Magic use magic? Also, can Disciples of Magic use swords or other weapons?
    A:Classes are somewhat pre-defined, but that isn't to say there won't be the possibility as you continue to level and grow your character.

Q:Does magic use up TP?
    A:At this time there are still many things yet to be fully examined.

Q:Are there times when you have to light your way through a dungeon?
    A:There are places that will be very dark, but at this time we are considering the need for any torches or illumination magic.

Q:Will there be seamless movement between dungeons and fields?
    A:Yes. Adventurers can travel seamlessly from bright, sun-bathed fields to the deepest and darkest of dungeons.

Q:Will monsters behave similarly to FFXI, with Active and Passive types, different ways to sense players, linking, and all that?
    A:Of course, there will be many monsters romping around in field zones. The behavior elements from FFXI will be used again, but there will also be other unique elements the can determine a monster's behavior, like herd mentality or environmental factors.

Q:Will Banzoku simply attack any and all humanoid characters without prejudice?
    A:They are human as well, so naturally there are some who wish for peace, or some who are traitors to their kind. There are some who may even be willing to do business with players.

Q:Are there monsters that will fight each other?
    A:In the beginning, we came up with something like a food chain system, and it may end up in the game in some form or another.

Q:When you think Final Fantasy, you think summons, so...
    A:They'll make an appearance. However, they take on a role closer to that of being gods. There will be more than a few hurdles to get over before you can secure their aid.

Q:Do the Banzoku have classes as well?
    A:Just like humans, they have a unique culture and society, and they will have classes they excel at.

Q:Will we see popular monsters such as the Mandragora?
    A:You can look forward to seeing more than a few of your favorites from FFXI in the game.

FFXIV ZAM

This should be good topic material for a little bit. Chocobos, summons, beta and airships. I am a little concerned that the beta is not going to have everything. If they are just leaving out items or equipment that's one thing though even that can be a balance that would be important in the beta. I just hope that they don't leave out features or gameplay systems from the beta since that is the time when you'll want to find out how really broken or exploitable something is when you have thousands of people playing and not just the handful of testers that they have on hand.

So what are your thoughts?
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

I'm hoping the beta will have at least most core features.

And I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but I really hope that items will be central to this game's combat system, unlike FFXI. I mean stuff like potions and ethers. They're nearly useless in FFXI. Personally I'd rather they just give them a cool down, make them stackable, and make them more potent. And cheap. And the ability to use items on others. Really, I could go on for hours about what I felt was flawed about items in FFXI.

The summons are really the only thing that seemed that interesting to me out of all of it. Did they mean we will be able to summon them, but it might be a bit difficult to get them? Seems like Summoner all over again, which really, I thought was a bad system.

Just give me beta and let me play it and I'll be fine. Since I started XI up again I just want to play it NOW! As long as you can solo if needed and if I can have my own custom class because of my gear then I will play this game and only this game. (MMOs)
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Registered User New Interview about FFXIV
    As mentioned time and time again by me, I have never played an MMORPG before, but I think this may be the one for me. I know that with every new development I read, I get more and more excited for it.

This seems particularly sweet to me:

Q:Will there be seamless movement between dungeons and fields?
    A:Yes. Adventurers can travel seamlessly from bright, sun-bathed fields to the deepest and darkest of dungeons.
    That's awesome. I hate load times... Maybe that's small potatos to some of you, but I like going from place to place and NOT having to wait on the new area to load.

Character creator has me excited too. It looks like it's going to have a lot of diversity from what I seen in a different thread.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

The Quiet One New Interview about FFXIV Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I couldn't agree more Fluffy, one the things that always bugged me about FFXI was the rarity and more or less uselessness of items in combat situations. There are some that are certainly good, but they are so expensive it is pretty much a prohibitive thing. I never understood that and why they would make potions just an issue in the game, especially when having items in any other FF game they were pretty common and reliable. I miss the days of auto-potion skills though.

It would be nice to be a stack potions grab 99 of them and have like 500 of them on hand or something and then go out and party without a WHM present or something. It seems a little bad to just be going around with a ton of Hi-Potions or something, but I'm pretty sure you can get by in a fight without a WHM and being able to carry around potions.

Loaf I'm pretty sure that they said that they will be making soloing a more viable option this time around. So that shouldn't be a problem for you. Custom class and equipment I don't know, the whole armor system is still unseen and tested to the public so no knows how it is going to work yet. That would be really cool if things worked out that way, but I don't know.

I suspect that there will still be load times Dodie. I had thought I had heard somewhere that it was not going to be one large streaming world like WoW or whatever. It may be, but they could also just be saying that dungeons and fields are together since they have more memory or something and so maps are larger allowing for that sort of thing. I don't know. I'd love a seamless world to explore, but I don't think we'll be getting it.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner