Thread: Jobs and gameplay performance

Rune Knight Jobs and gameplay performance Trodorne's Avatar

Jobs and gameplay performance

So after looking over the games settings and the fact it replaces the names of the original job classes with names that they seem to have taken out of a Dungeons and Dragons handbook.
    How do you think the gameplay will change to that compared to XI. i know for one it will change that you do not have to go back to your mog house to change your class with this new armoury system.
    It would make partying faster. but at the same time what options are there for individuals who do not want the desire to party and to solo? another issue i have brought up with other online players is will we have seperate servers for north american players and asian players so we can cut down on auto translates.

Id like to know what you guys think on how the system will be run for the gameplay. and what do you think of the changing of the name of job titles.

Registered User Jobs and gameplay performance

Re: Jobs and gameplay performance

the way it reads to me.. is that you get to keep skills you learnt from another class, but unless used with that class, they aren't as powerful...

i.e. if you were a tank, but had got the cure spell. you could use cure on your tank, but at a reduced amount....

this is what i am reading it to be like..... also these guildleves have different options.. (saw it on that e3 video).

This is my interpretation to what has been posted on various sites, i don't know how true this is.. but it sounds good.

though would you really want to go through an MMORPG as a single player? surely this would restrict you from doing raids and what not later (they mentioned something about bringing these in at a later date)..

personal leveling yes i would prefer to go solo. but for raids and dungeons ill go into parties. i like the idea that quests help level characters faster while dungeons and raids are meant for the good items. while crafting can get you half way decent items. or coming across plans to make a rare weapon.

cause im more of a solo pvp person anyways. i don't like to be held down to a party all the time. cause ain't nothing going to break my stride, ain't nobody going to hold me down.

The Quiet One Jobs and gameplay performance Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty certain that everyone will be together on the same servers like before. It helps with people that play on off peak times for their own region. If I'm playing at 2 am, there's a lot of people in the NA region asleep or logging out for the night. But in Japan players are just starting to arrive and looking for parties. So I can still find people otherwise you just have deadzones on your servers if you're playing off peak times. Because of the way it worked out for FFXI there were three peak times that cycled around keeping a pretty steady population all the time. Which I found to be a great benefit. I've got no problems working with Japanese or Europeans. The Japanese players tended to be more knowledgeable and efficient anyway over other players. I think that balanced out more as the years went on, but the Japanese players certainly held a strong advantage over everyone else for a while.

As for soloing they have said quite often that there will be options for soloing. Also the Guildleves from what I've read scales to the party size. So I don't believe a full party will be required for them. It'll adjust to fit the numbers you have so you don't feel the need to get a full complete party. That sort of scaling I can get behind.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

thats cause gaming in asia was like a damn job with getting materials and selling them in auction houses. do i have to bring up starcraft as an example? i know they had so called "Solo" options in XI but it was a long quest to get an npc just to upgrade him and get him to his full usage. then there was the exp rings. yeah that was fine but did not last too long. people were using those in parties anyways.

hey im all for parties.. i was more of a casual rp gamer, i know games like XI were meant to be played hardcore if you wanted to feel like you made any advancements. but i did not have the hours to log in to do it. so anything that could help me play solo for when i need too would be great.

I didn't play FFXI hardcore and I was leveling rather fast. It's just how well you know.

Honestly, I am hoping for the Armory System to let me customize my character a lot, but the way I want it to work probably isn't the way they are going to have it work. I'll be playing this, I just need to find a job ASAP so I can upgrade my video card, and try and buy the collectors edition so I can play a week in advance.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Blog Entries

Campaign is the best way to solo these days on the game though. It's a little more difficult pre-30 I think, but after 30 it is the best way to go alone. Partying will still be the best and most efficient means of getting exp though.

And the Japanese players were better because they had a year or so head start on everyone else. So they knew the game better than us just joining and for a while they continued to keep that lead until the head start stopped meaning something as the additional time they had over us became smaller and smaller in comparison.

It's a little narrow to assume that they are playing the game like a job over there. There's plenty of people all over the world that fall in to that category, the Japanese players did not hold a monopoly on that.

I currently don't have the time to party in an MMO as well. So I play RPGs instead. A game designed as a solo experience tends to be more enjoyable than soloing game designed as a multiplayer experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    I didn't play FFXI hardcore and I was leveling rather fast. It's just how well you know.

Honestly, I am hoping for the Armory System to let me customize my character a lot, but the way I want it to work probably isn't the way they are going to have it work. I'll be playing this, I just need to find a job ASAP so I can upgrade my video card, and try and buy the collectors edition so I can play a week in advance.
    define customize, im always for more customizations.

Quote Originally Posted by Trodorne View Post
    define customize, im always for more customizations.
    From what they have explained is like this. You have lets say, all leather, a dagger and a shield...you are a Thief. All Robes, and a Rod...Black Mage, Robes, maybe some leather, and a sword...Red Mage. Heavy Armor, 2h weapon, a Warrior or Gladiator type.

Now the way I want it is like this. What if I combine all my armor with chain mail and leather pieces, wielding a 2h Weapon...will I be a Warrior, or something new and different.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    From what they have explained is like this. You have lets say, all leather, a dagger and a shield...you are a Thief. All Robes, and a Rod...Black Mage, Robes, maybe some leather, and a sword...Red Mage. Heavy Armor, 2h weapon, a Warrior or Gladiator type.

Now the way I want it is like this. What if I combine all my armor with chain mail and leather pieces, wielding a 2h Weapon...will I be a Warrior, or something new and different.
    well so far there is no black mage, only a white and black mage combined to make conjurer. the role of the bard is now given to Thaumaturge with buffs for the mobs and team mates. monk is now pugilist, paladin and warrior are now gladiator without the curing spells. warrior and dark knight are marauder, ranger is archer this i don't mind cause it was the original name of the class, ninja and dragoon are now lancer. the rest of the jobs are trades which is pretty cool i have to give them that.

so with how few jobs there are im sure it would be easy to switch into another job as alot of weapons are job specific. like marauder only uses axes, archers bows, lancers polearms, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trodorne View Post
    well so far there is no black mage, only a white and black mage combined to make conjurer. the role of the bard is now given to Thaumaturge with buffs for the mobs and team mates. monk is now pugilist, paladin and warrior are now gladiator without the curing spells. warrior and dark knight are marauder, ranger is archer this i don't mind cause it was the original name of the class, ninja and dragoon are now lancer. the rest of the jobs are trades which is pretty cool i have to give them that.

so with how few jobs there are im sure it would be easy to switch into another job as alot of weapons are job specific. like marauder only uses axes, archers bows, lancers polearms, etc.
    Those are examples for me to describe how it works. I know there isn't those jobs. I just would wish they would have it done like the way I was describing it with the customizing. If you mix and match things, it would be to cool to get a mixed class.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Magically Delicous Jobs and gameplay performance Merlin's Avatar

That would also make it a pain in the ass to party with people. It was hard enough dealing with people wearing stupid gear in FFXI(I don't mind underleveled gear, but straight STUPID choices like mage gear on a sam, etc) . What you suggest would make it even worse. You invite someone because they say they have sword/shield skills so they can tank and they show up with the wrong gloves, making them a sword mage or something. Um... {No thanks}.
    Last edited by Merlin; 08-18-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm fairly certain that only the weapon affect your job. I don't believe your equipment actually alters anything with blending jobs or something like that. I would guess as well that skills and abilities come with the weapons. But like said before you can sort of custom build things a little if I understand what I've read because keeping around skills from other jobs once you learn them. But I'd imagine it'll probably similar penalties like with sub-jobs for FFXI.

I mainly hope there is multi-classing, similar to having a secondary job but your only job just 2 combined. But from reading up...I don't think it will be like that. Oh well.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Blog Entries

I think the closest you get to multi-classing is with being able to still use abilities you gained from other jobs when it is not your active one. I don't know to what extent that works, but that would effectively be about the same thing.

I enjoyed the sub-job system that FFXI which created about the same effect of multi-classing. Since it provided a chance to mix and match jobs to create something a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I think the closest you get to multi-classing is with being able to still use abilities you gained from other jobs when it is not your active one. I don't know to what extent that works, but that would effectively be about the same thing.

I enjoyed the sub-job system that FFXI which created about the same effect of multi-classing. Since it provided a chance to mix and match jobs to create something a little different.

Yeah see I like that, I just would like something more advanced then that you know? Sub Job limited you to half of your Main Job level...the way I would like it wouldn't be like that....we will see though, not to long before it comes out. and who knows, maybe more beta invites.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol