Thread: FFXIV Character Creation System

The Quiet One FFXIV Character Creation System Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character Creation System

Well for everyone that played FFXI knows that FFXI's character creation system was pretty lacking in options. Pick your race and then your face with hair and two hair color options after that pick between three evenly proportioned body heights and you were pretty much done. Well news has finally come out on FFXIV Character Creation System and even though only a piece of has been revealed it has already completely blown away FFXI. As though I could get anymore excited about this game, it happens.

Alright, from the images provided and the information I gained from the below two articles I linked. You can do these things. You have at least six differently shown skin tones with the possibility of it being a slider and not just options, but neither is confirmed just six pictures. Along with that six different hair colors, probably more than that with what one looks like to be blue meaning that we can have anime hair colors and not just natural ones. Selectable eye colors as well as something about mouths or lips based on one of the images. On top of that according to Kotaku's article, you're able to adjust your character's bust, waist and hips size. Which is certainly more options than some character creations give you which mainly force on the head and completely forgot or lightly touch the body, that has always been a disappointment for me (since my idea of a body figure and the game designers usually don't see eye to eye). On top of that you can have facial scars (I'm figuring body scar might be possible, but only the face was show) and bandaids on the face a la anime style. One commenter on Eorzeapedia mentioned something about hair being layered which means you'd be able to combine hair types or something, don't know if that is accurate since we just have images to go by but it may be something else as well. All and all it is shaping up to be a very impressive character creation system compared to FFXI.

Oh and we get to see images of the new female Humes - Hyur (or whatever they're called) in their underwear. Which the upper is new, but the lower is very similar in design to the female hume's underwear in FFXI.

Here is Kotaku's article - Final Fantasy XIV Features Robust Character Creator - Final Fantasy XIV - Kotaku

Here is Eorzeapedia's article more of a glean from images - Eorzeapedia: Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV, FF14) News, Wiki, Forums, Community and more Analysis of New Character Creation Images
    Last edited by Andromeda; 12-23-2009 at 11:54 AM.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

FF:Zero (RMXP) - Writer/Director FFXIV Character Creation System Petros's Avatar
    Thanks for posting this, I'm quite interested now to see how it will all work out. I hope it's with sliders a la Sims 3 and not select tones like most MMOs or for better comparison, Sims 2.
    WRITER & DIRECTOR

Made with RPG Maker XP

Visit our website at:

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    On top of that according to Kotaku's article, you're able to adjust your character's bust, waist and hips size.
    I can has delicious flat chest?

Nah. I don't expect them to go that far. ; ;

Looks really nice overall. Much better than FFXI already. I'm hoping this is just the tip of the iceberg and not the whole thing.

On a related note, I'm still not sure if I'd go with a Lalafell.

I can make me a fat cat?

I'll probably go human, very dul of me since I usually steer clear of picking human.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Elloewen FFXIV Character Creation System ultimatekupo's Avatar

Re: FFXIV Character Creation System

/em dances with exitement
    "There is a special providence in the fall of a sparrow" -Shakespeare

Registered User FFXIV Character Creation System

Very interested in this game and it is a safe bet, that i will be getting this game when it comes out at the end of september... can't wait..
    oh and i will be getting the collecters edition.

Magically Delicous FFXIV Character Creation System Merlin's Avatar

Well I've watched a number of videos showing off the character creation system and have mixed feelings on it. It is definitely a vast improvement over FFXI's system, but it still pales in comparison to other games, such as Dragon Age: Origins. To me, if you are going to go to all the effort to tout it being HD and awesome graphics, you shouldn't half-ass the character creation system.

For example, hair styles. You can now select 32 different colors for your hair and a number of highlight colors. But, the hair style choices is paltry. The Lallafell shown in the beta had only four hairstyles. So you'll still see tons of people with the same exact hairstyle.

There are plenty of examples of such situations. I can't complain about it. I like it much better than the old system, but it also leaves the door open for modding (for PC anyway).

The Quiet One FFXIV Character Creation System Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You will want to keep in mind that they said what you see in the beta is the going to the full amount of options available at release. We don't know how much more content those areas of the game will have right now, but I would imagine 8 at the very least if not even more than that since that was what it was like for FFXI and as you said it is better than FFXI's system. So I'm guessing we're probably going to see a dozen or more hair styles. Hopefully even more than that for some real diversity.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Half of the choices were simply alt colors in FFXI. It would be nice if they would take a few ideas from some of the free mmos that allow you to change your hair style in game. Now I don't like how they force you to use real money to do it, but the concept of being able to change your hair over time seems so basic it should be a feature in mainstream mmo games by now. An in game barber shop for example. I don't think that is asking for much. I might be a guy but seeing the same hair style on my character for years gets boring. It is nice to switch it up now and then.
    Last edited by Merlin; 07-16-2010 at 08:21 AM.

Registered User FFXIV Character Creation System

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Half of the choices were simply alt colors in FFXI. It would be nice if they would take a few ideas from some of the free mmos that allow you to change your hair style in game. Now I don't like how they force you to use real money to do it, but the concept of being able to change your hair over time seems so basic it should be a feature in mainstream mmo games by now. An in game barber shop for example. I don't think that is asking for much. I might be a guy but seeing the same hair style on my character for years gets boring. It is nice to switch it up now and then.
    WoW has implemented an in-game barber shop.. but yeah this should be a common thing in games.

Aion had this "Plastic surgery" thing were you could changed how your character looked (in terms of skin colour, height, hair etc), though you had to pay. wow has a similar feature as well were you can change race, also you have to pay

I think paying real money for something as trival as changing your characters hair is wrong and the option should be availible in game for in game currency

Well yeah, that is how they make money on a "free" game. For games like WOW and FFXIV using real money is stupid, as they already charge a lot per month. That being said, I guess Blizzard already implemented my thoughts. I haven't touched that game since a few months after it first came out, so I haven't kept up with it much. It definitely had very poor customization to start off with. Maybe since Blizzard did it, Squeenix will pick up on it. Who knows. I can hope... Hah.

ZeroKami

I played Aion until I got to Lv25 (yeah, didn't really give it a chance, did I?) but by far my favorite thing about the game was that I never saw a character identical to myself or any of my other characters (which were free to make and choosing a server was also free)
    Yes, like stated before it is a huge improvement on FFXI's system; however, when compared to Aion it still sucks
    Squeenix isn't the type of company that would bend over backwards for its fans, I had played FFXI for about 6 years and for about 5 of those I had seen requests and sent in requests for barbor shops and tattoo parlors
    SE just won't do it, they're too lazy is my guess, they're all worried about how to get new fanbase they don't want to spend any effort on keeping the fanbase they already have happy, because they know we won't go on strike for something like a "plastic surgeon" or in-game sex-change operations for our characters like Aion had, or maybe a legal establishment to change your character's name...imagine if something like a strike could be organised though, that would be epic, to force SE to appease its current fanbase rather than trying to get a new one...petition anyone? then following the petition if they still refuse go on strike for a month? they would lose so much money even if they only lost a few hundred clients for a month or 2

People have petitioned SE for years, especially on FFVII remakes. The simple fact is, they honestly don't care what we think. They are going to do what they want and tough luck if we don't agree. Not exactly a winning business model, but there's plenty of companies who do that and are quite successful.

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) FFXIV Character Creation System che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As a successful business you also don't have to listen to every whiny fuc ker who wants teal hair for their elf when the closest option is a light blue.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys