Thread: Clans and Races

The Quiet One Clans and Races Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Clans and Races

To get the first thing out of the way when I'm saying Clans it does not mean as in Guilds or Linkshells or Clans in that sense. In fact I'm referring to the differences in the races for the game. According to previously released information from Square Enix each race will have different clans and character creation and starting will be affected by the clan you end up picking. It seems there are two clans for each race that are selectable for character creation, whether there are more or not remains unclear but I'd guess there probably are. Looking at the new pictures that they have release seems to indicate that they are picking up a little of the tendencies from others since they have a "dark elf" type and a "dark mithra" type clan. But here from Eorzeapedia is a listing of the clans can pictures so you can get a nice visual. I'll run down all of the clans and races they are associated with here for quick reference.

Elvaan - Elezen
    Forester Clan
    Shader Clan

Hume - Hyur
    Midlander Clan
    Highlander Clan

Tarutaru - Lalafell
    Plainsfolk Clan
    Dunesfolk Clan

Galka - Roegadyn
    Seewolf Clan
    Lohengarde Clan

Mithra - Miqo'te
    Seekers of the Sun Clan
    Keepers of the Moon Clan

Interestingly there are no Highlander Hyur female listed. I'm guessing that is intentional from the way that they were sounding, though it is the first time that did that with anyone else other than Galka and Mithra to only have a single gender playable.

But from the pictures you can see that there are stylistic differences with the clothes as well as some appearances. Having this extra layer of detail in separation will certainly help people feel a lot more unique, which was often an issue in FFXI. It was often that you'd find yourself running around even. In the end it was the clothes that made you different.

They will be more rough and wild looking clans and more modern ones. So it'll be interesting to know if that ends up changing all clothes or it is just starting clothes. Though I'd suspect that that there will be clan specific equipment that you can get later on if FFXI is any indication. Hopefully it'll be more than just a color scheme change.

Eorzeapedia: Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV, FF14) News, Wiki, Forums, Community and more Japanese official site update: new clan information
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

I want to play a game. Clans and Races Zargabaath's Avatar

Re: Clans and Races

I'm liking the differences in each race as it does give the possibility for the player to be more unique. While what I suggest would take longer to due, it would be even better if they gave a unique look for every piece of equipment for the different clans that could equip it. Accessories would be exempt as having 4 different ruby earings isn't needed, but if they had variants of a Scimitar or Diamond Mail that would be neat.

The Shader remind me of the Naa'vi in Avatar with the blue-ish skin and from the pics they showed us of the Elezen they don't look appealing. Though I most likely will be playing as one if get the game (I plan to).

As for the Hyur, I'm liking the Midlander style more than Highlander. The Highlanders remind me of Conan from Hyboria; I love the universe of Hyboria but a man with no shirt on isn't much.

So far I like how they created both clans for the Lalafell, both really capture the essence behind each clan.

The red-orange color for the Lohengarde Roegadyn threw me off initially but I'm liking both.

The full picture of a Keeper of the Moon looks like she is heading out to go clubing. She is also giving off a bit of a Lara Croft look.

Overall, I'm good that the development team added this extra level of customization, now we must see how far they take it.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Final Fantasy XIV Playable Races Overview

The first major choice players make in most MMOGs is which race they’d like their character to be, and by all accounts Final Fantasy XIV will be no exception. While the game is currently in closed beta with a possible release set for later this year, information on the known playable races has already become available.

For full information about all races including official descriptions Click here

Source: Tentonhammer

Sig & Ava by me

The Quiet One Clans and Races Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Merged threads, this topic already existed. It was also for the most part already covered by this thread as well. It just contains additional background information pulled from the official site.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Registered User Clans and Races NeoAquarius12's Avatar

I don't see why they didn't change the races just a little bit. Maybe add a race that wasn't available before. Sure, they split them up, but will it really make that much of a difference?

And why can't I be a cat man yetttt??? That's all I want. To name my character Liono, and just cast Thunder all the time.
    Maybe Schnarf.

Registered User Clans and Races

they may add more closer to release.. who knows... we can only hope that there will be more choices in-terms of race/clan.... ya never know

Registered User Clans and Races NeoAquarius12's Avatar

Well, they better, or they'll be meeting with a race they never expected: Angry ginger.

Imagine Blanca from SF, only red... haha.

Magically Delicous Clans and Races Merlin's Avatar

I'm perfectly happy with what they have. I mean, this isn't Thundercatz. Most of us have no desire to see a Manthra. We are perfectly content thinking they have an Amazonian Matriarch society.