Thread: What is the "job" of a moderator?

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) What is the "job" of a moderator? che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What is the "job" of a moderator?

I'm not trying to start any drama here. I'm more looking for a definition just for reference.

Is the job of a moderator to enforce the forum rules?
    The Final Fantasy Forums - Announcements in Forum : General Chat

What are the limits of a moderator's "job"?

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Tsuna Feesh What is the "job" of a moderator? Fate's Avatar

Re: What is the "job" of a moderator?

Moderators are basically just chosen individuals who look over their designated sections and enforce the rules as well as maintain a sort of balance within that or those particular sections. If they view your post as something that violates the forum rules, they have the right to warn you. They also are allowed to do this for whatever reason they find appropriate, but you won't find any moderators who warn you out of personal reasons or spite. They got their job for a reason: they're responsible enough.

But in the end, moderators are still members--just with more power and authority. You should respect them, that's for sure, but they're just like the rest of us, really.

::EDIT:: Never mind. >> You should know. =P
    Last edited by Fate; 05-25-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Curiosity Conquers, So Click:

*Yesha*; -Balthier-; Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus; Azuteor; Black Waltz; Clint Eastwood; Dark Angel; Dodie16; ethan; Flaming Ragnarok; Insufficient Mage; Kilala; LIGHTNING_71013; Lunasa; Mallick; Meigumi; Messiah; Padraic; PurpleDiamond; RamesesII; Shiru; Silver; Unknown Entity; ViviMasterMage; winterborn86

If you'd like a place in my family, be sure to ask me~! ^ ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fate View Post
    If they view your post as something that violates the forum rules, they have the right to warn you. They also are allowed to do this for whatever reason they find appropriate, but you won't find any moderators who warn you out of personal reasons or spite.
    Is that entirely true that none of the moderators will ever warn out of personal reasons? How can we be sure?

I know it states in the terms of agreement when you sign up that moderators reserve the right to remove, edit or close a thread for any reason. Is that more of an insurance thing, or can it be used to be unfair?

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

What is the "job" of a moderator? Jin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Is that entirely true that none of the moderators will ever warn out of personal reasons? How can we be sure?

I know it states in the terms of agreement when you sign up that moderators reserve the right to remove, edit or close a thread for any reason. Is that more of an insurance thing, or can it be used to be unfair?
    You talk about moderators as if they're civil servants that owe you something. This isn't a people's forum. This is a private website owned by an individual. Fairness is the mark of a good forum, but it is not your right. Moderators are appointed to maintain the community, the meaning of which is whatever the owner of the site (or those he's left in charge - admins) deems appropriate. If you disagree with this vision you can post in this suggestion forum. If you believe the moderators are not doing their jobs in accordance with what they were selected to do, you can contact an admin/owner to inform them. A good forum takes suggestions into consideration, but if the suggestion ultimately goes unheeded, too bad; a good forum has fair moderators, but if the admin/owner decides in favour of the moderators, too bad.*

Ultimately, you are playing in someone else's sandbox. You don't get to make the rules or decide how to enforce them unless given permission. If you dislike it, leave the sandbox. I'd hate to see you go, but if you really disagree with how things are done here, you really should just find another forum. There's no sense engaging in trench warfare in an attempt to change the rules of the game.

*I don't think the TFF staff outright ignore people's suggestions and I don't think most mods would still have their position if they were unable to do them properly more times than not. This is just a bottom line scenario.
    Last edited by Jin; 05-25-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Until now!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    You talk about moderators as if they're civil servants that owe you something. This isn't a people's forum. This is a private website owned by an individual. Fairness is the mark of a good forum, but it is not your right. Moderators are appointed to maintain the community, the meaning of which is whatever the owner of the site (or those he's left in charge - admins) deems appropriate. If you disagree with this vision you can post in this suggestion forum. If you believe the moderators are not doing their jobs in accordance with what they were selected to do, you can contact an admin/owner to inform them. If the suggestion goes unheeded, too bad; if the admin/owner decides in favour of the moderators, too bad.

You are playing in someone else's sandbox. You don't get to make the rules or decide how to enforce them unless given permission. If you dislike it, leave the sandbox. I'd hate to see you go, but if you really disagree with how things are done here, you really should just find another forum. There's no sense engaging in trench warfare in an attempt to change the rules of the game.
    All of what you said is 100% true. However, what's wrong with members communicating to their mods/admins? Ultimately, if there were no members here, there would be nothing for the mods and admins to do. So who really controls who?

Me leaving wouldn't change anything either. I just care about the community, that's all. I am only trying to help. If Fuzz or any other admin doesn't want me to speak up anymore, I will gladly leave.

What is the "job" of a moderator? Jin's Avatar

I didn't say anything was wrong with it. As I said, a good forum listens to its members. But not everything can go your way. If the staff all the way up the chain disagrees with something then that's that. We have plenty of means by which to communicate our ideas. We have a whole forum dedicated to it. 2 Actually. The mods are not the power hungry, ban hammer wielders you're making them out to be. They're more than fair 99% of the time. With the exception maybe of one, but I won't name names.
    Last edited by Jin; 05-25-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Until now!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fate View Post
    Moderators are basically just chosen individuals who look over their designated sections and enforce the rules as well as maintain a sort of balance within that or those particular sections. If they view your post as something that violates the forum rules, they have the right to warn you. They also are allowed to do this for whatever reason they find appropriate, but you won't find any moderators who warn you out of personal reasons or spite. They got their job for a reason: they're responsible enough.

But in the end, moderators are still members--just with more power and authority. You should respect them, that's for sure, but they're just like the rest of us, really.

::EDIT:: Never mind. >> You should know. =P
    I think chad was asking for someone with actual mod experience, Fate, not a mod d-rider. But great info anyways!
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Magically Delicous What is the &quot;job&quot; of a moderator? Merlin's Avatar

The mods here are really cool about stuff. As long as you're not an asshat on a mission to take a dump on the staff, you're good to go. Even then, they handle those type of people very kindly. We of course still get the occasional person who seems to have nothing better to do than to harass the staff and they are dealt with in an "appropriate" manner... mwheheheee. *cough*

To be a douche because I know you will appriciate it I will direct you to this.

The Final Fantasy Forums - FAQ: Reading and Posting Messages

Also, people are acting like moderators can change the forum and its layout. We CANT it is not in our ability. That link sums it up for a basic aspect of things.
    Last edited by Meier Link; 05-25-2010 at 06:56 PM.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Magically Delicous What is the &quot;job&quot; of a moderator? Merlin's Avatar

The description of admins is rather bland. It should mention that admins do all the tasks of mods PLUS that stuff.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Moderating on a forum site like this ISN'T a job, no-one I know's getting paid to do it anyway.

It's more a way of life man, all philosophical and shit. The people deemed worthy by their mod peers are elevated into a new social class where they might regulate the forum society to help mould it into the kind of forum utopia everyone can enjoy...
    Ride with it dudes.
    victoria aut mors

The Old Skool Warrior What is the &quot;job&quot; of a moderator? LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh no, Silver, it's definitely a job... it's just one we don't get PAID to do.

When you have to moderate from a cell phone because <insert douchebag adbot here> is posting in a dozen places at once and no one else is online... that's when you know it's a job.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    Oh no, Silver, it's definitely a job... it's just one we don't get PAID to do.
    You need to join a better Union dude.
    Strikes and shit!
    victoria aut mors

The Old Skool Warrior What is the &quot;job&quot; of a moderator? LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But really, the job of a moderator is to MODERATE.

It's more difficult than it sounds. I mean, sure, the cleanup part is simple. A bit tedious at times, but incredibly simple. Working all of the tools and panels is easy. The hard part is the actual moderation.

Warn for this, and we're too strict. Don't warn for this, and we're not strict enough. Forum staff are under constant scrupulous supervision from the community and are often berated for just doing their "jobs." In my eight years here (six of which have been on staff), I have seen a lot of changes in the way we do things.

Anyone who thinks we're being strict now should have seen it before I was ever even on staff...

Bottom line is, at the end of the day, we're here to serve you. We can't always please everyone... if we could, we wouldn't even need to be here because everyone would please themselves.

Anyone who wants complete and total free reign to be a troll with no strings attached should just visit 4chan and hit up /b/.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Gingersnap What is the &quot;job&quot; of a moderator? OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    everyone would please themselves.
    I think we could all benefit from that.

I suggest:
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04
    visit 4chan and hit up /b/.
    Wink.

Cesar is right, though. I'd much rather delete bot threads than deal with immaturity. I think my main problem is how poorly most arguments have been presented these last few weeks. If I get cussed at and my intelligence is insulted, I'm quick to tune out (like most people). If you want anything changed, try making less "demands" and more talking to us like human beings (or like we used to chat in a way that suggested friendship). I don't like drama. I think it's a waste of everyone's time, and I know it's a waste of mine.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

This ain't no place for no hero What is the &quot;job&quot; of a moderator? Tiffany's Avatar

Fark.

I would never want to be a moderator on this board. I see how they get treated and whatnot, and the immature BS that they have to put up with... you all are far bigger people than me. I would've lost my shit a long time ago and told everyone to F off.

There's so much drama and BS in real life, I personally wouldn't want to deal with it on here either. At least when the drama gets bad here I can log off and be like "Not my problem, suckahs!!!!"

Ha.

Anyways, yeah.

The other thing people don't realize is that we to come here for enjoyment and to relax. We don't like dealing with BS and having to hand out candy but we do it because we care about these boards and like to safe guard others enjoyment here at TFF.

:edit:

Edit or see the following post for other reasons.
    Last edited by Meier Link; 05-28-2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Lady Succubus What is the &quot;job&quot; of a moderator? Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Speak for yourself.

I come here because I have nothing else better to do, and because I know a lot of people here. xD;