Thread: 'Likes' Should count towards 'Rep'

Boxer of the Galaxy 'Likes' Should count towards 'Rep' Rowan's Avatar

'Likes' Should count towards 'Rep'

I was thinking about this the other day. Wouldn't it take like over 1000 likes to have maximum rep anyway? Im sure that its still hard to earn, but the premise for liking a post should be relevant to reputation. The rep system has gone down a whole lot since we implemented 'likes', I believe it should have been one or the other with 'likes' being the replacement for Reputation, but still including the reputation bar tallied by your amount of likes.

What do you think?

The Old Skool Warrior 'Likes' Should count towards 'Rep' LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Merlin had practically disabled the reputation as it originally was. The way it scaled was far too easily abused - I promise I don't need all those green boxes I have. The more rep you had, the more rep you gave, and the same people circled around repping each other at every opportunity - and, more importantly, would negatively rep the people they didn't like.

Now that the latter is no longer an option, I think if I can go back and change the formula for it all, it's not a bad idea to consider bringing it back.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

I was 2 positive reps away from my next green bar. Thats three years and 1 green bar. I think it would be much more functional to disable the rep button and just implement reputation in accordance with likes. You could workout a new formula, as you stated, perhaps something like;

0 - 25 = grey
    26 - 50 = 1 green
    51 - 100 = 2 green
    101 - 200 = 3 green
    201 - 300 = 4 green
    301 - 425 = 5 green
    426 - 550 = 6 green
    551 - 750 = 7 green
    751 - 900 = 8 green
    901 - 1200 = 9 green
    1201 - 1500 = 10 green
    1501 - 2000 = The super star or something FF related.

Death Before Dishonor 'Likes' Should count towards 'Rep' Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would like something new done to the rep system. Virtually no one actually reps people anymore. It is a nice concept but isn't really used anymore.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_R View Post
    I would like something new done to the rep system. Virtually no one actually reps people anymore. It is a nice concept but isn't really used anymore.
    So would you agree to having 'likes' counted toward your rep, now? Its pretty much the same concept, except people 'like' far more than they do 'rep'. It can be scaled accordingly.

Mystyrion 'Likes' Should count towards 'Rep' C:/Dille.Run's Avatar

'Likes' Should count towards 'Rep'

I like this idea

The Old Skool Warrior 'Likes' Should count towards 'Rep' LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Rowan and I have been discussing this over VMs the past few minutes - the only issue will be with actual implementation. I'll look around for a solution (and bug Fuzz about this too, as he has access to the vB support forums) but in the meantime, the rep system and the like system are default pieces of vB4 are not natively supportive of one another. I do actually prefer this idea though.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Consistently Average 'Likes' Should count towards 'Rep' Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like this idea too, I just think there might have to be restrictions put in, so the system can't be so easily abused.

I think you had to rep like 10 other members before you could rep the same person again, and because it's so easy to 'like' as many posts as you want, it wouldn't take long for some member to just start spamming likes in order to build up their rep points.

Sorry if that didn't make sense, I'm in kind of a rush.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

TFF's Resident Messenger 'Likes' Should count towards 'Rep' Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I still give reputation way more than I give Likes. And normally when I give a +rep, I get one in return.

The only problem I see with having Likes count for the green bars is that you can Unlike something you've already liked whenever you feel like it, thus lowering their amount. With the reputation how it is right now, it can only go up (slowly, but still increasing).

I am for Likes having a more visible representation in a user's identification bar, but I see it as something that could become problematic. Especially since members are able to Like every post ever. With how reputation worked before the Likes became a thing, you could only give a rep point for something within a certain timeframe. For example, I could give a rep point for what Rowan posts today, but I can't give one for his very first post. Now that there's both Likes and reputation, I can give both a Like and Rep point to every post Rowan makes, including his intro to TFF post.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Swayne View Post
    The only problem I see with having Likes count for the green bars is that you can Unlike something you've already liked whenever you feel like it, thus lowering their amount. With the reputation how it is right now, it can only go up (slowly, but still increasing).
    While this is true, I dont see this presenting a major problem. I dont think people would like a post if they intend to unlike it, even so, they are well within their right to do so. Fluctuating points will just have to be apart of this. But with so many likes far between each green bar, I doubt this will have a dramatic effect if someone decides to unlike something they mistakening liked in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Swayne View Post
    I am for Likes having a more visible representation in a user's identification bar, but I see it as something that could become problematic. Especially since members are able to Like every post ever. With how reputation worked before the Likes became a thing, you could only give a rep point for something within a certain timeframe. For example, I could give a rep point for what Rowan posts today, but I can't give one for his very first post. Now that there's both Likes and reputation, I can give both a Like and Rep point to every post Rowan makes, including his intro to TFF post.
    Just to be clear, my sugguestion was to abolish the option to rep someone completely, and have the total tally for rep be represented by 'likes'. While you can currently like lots of posts without restriction, a formula could be created in which you would need far more 'X' amount of likes before reaching the next green level. And by far more, I think my statistical figure is accurate. I dont think members would abuse it though. you only have to look at everyones likes at the moment to get a rough idea of what its going to be like.

Death Before Dishonor 'Likes' Should count towards 'Rep' Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So would you agree to having 'likes' counted toward your rep, now? Its pretty much the same concept, except people 'like' far more than they do 'rep'. It can be scaled accordingly.
    Sorry am half ass here. Yes I am certainly in favor of your idea Rowan.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Chief Inspiring Officer 'Likes' Should count towards 'Rep' Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like it too.

Question: Will the likes you've given to other people lessen your own rep, or are they completely unrelated?
    ~I'm sorry I haven't been around very much~

The votes are in for the sketch contest. See who won the epic battle here:
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...12-voting.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanista View Post
    I like it too.

Question: Will the likes you've given to other people lessen your own rep, or are they completely unrelated?
    completely unrelated. It would discourage people from liking others posts, and nor should giving someone else rep lower your own.