Thread: Chat Rooms/Shout Box suggestion

Chat Rooms/Shout Box suggestion Dark Squall's Avatar
    Believe or not...On earth. Yea I know someone like me is too awesome to live on earth but what can I do?!!!

Chat Rooms/Shout Box suggestion

OK, I don't want to sound like an idiot but why can't we have Chat rooms in the forums or at least a SB?

The SB will help the newbies to meet the members of the forums and will be fun. The SB will make the members stuck more in the forums instead of goin to the MSN to talk. By that, they'll know what's happening around the forums. No offense but I always see lots of members in the forums but the ain't doing anything. Usually they talk on the MSN.

Please put my suggestion in your mind before you ban me or at least call me a d*ck head, idiot...etc. =D

Thanks in advance

Sig(s) made by me

DS Sigs

What is life:
    Life is not like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos! what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Why life is unfair!!!:
    When man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment...When a woman talks dirty to a man it's 3.95$ per a minute!!!

My Mafia family:
    Mona Lisa Overdrive - Self Appointed god
    LoVeLeSs - Freaky Goddaughter
    brnthsdiscout - FF Lovin' sister
    DiaryofJane-Music Loving God Mother
    Unknown Entity - My sister and my right hand in the family
    Silver - Enforcer

Gingersnap Chat Rooms/Shout Box suggestion OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    One of the major reasons we've never had one is the fact that it's really hard to moderate. As it is, VMs are a little difficult and we don't know about most problems until they get reported. But at least they can be reported and deleted. With a shout box, we don't have much control over what gets put in there, and it would all be happening so fast that the staff would have to read through hundreds of little messages to make sure everyone was sticking to forum rules.

Lady Succubus Chat Rooms/Shout Box suggestion Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oceaneyes pretty much hit the nail on the head. This isn't the first time this issue has been brought up. And I'm pretty sure it wont' be the last. And the answer will always be the same... ^_^;

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 Chat Rooms/Shout Box suggestion T.G. Oskar's Avatar
    I believe you yourself answered a bit of the question, with Aly solving the other part of it.

It's really hard to watch and moderate over real-time. On real time chats, problems usually escalate, and it requires some time to stop the situation, and then provide the appropriate punishment for the act. It would be pretty difficult to assign a proper scale of punishment that would apply to the forum as well as to the chats, and it would cause several bans in almost record time. Besides, it would be very, very difficult to just ADD the chat box at the structure of the forum without having it lag or killing the bandwidth.

So, aside from the VM system, we've settled to take chats to MSN (there WAS a chat before, outside of the forums of course, but eventually people realized they knew and had more access to MSN than to a particular chatroom, and IM systems allow for greater amounts of liberty so to say). IM chat tends not to be moderated, and tends not to be considered part of TFF (think of it as a reunion of friends from work or something, where rules aren't as enforced). Do consider that, because it's not an official part of TFF, it's not bound by its rules; we tend to be pretty random in there. The fact that very little (except good ideas ^_^) is dragged from there (sometimes some drama drags in as well XD) helps to have TFF clean and safe for work.

So, there's not much of a need for a chat given that there's one extra-officially. Besides, the Introductions forum is the best way to allow people to introduce to each other. It also serves for when someone has to, sadly, part for a while (I say part because some of us can't leave TFF; it has an addiction on its own that's difficult to explain)

Besides, why would we ban you? It's a good question... Mods here are actually pretty nice (you certainly haven't met either Toph or Aly on MSN, they are really, really nice AND random. So does all the contacts, actually)
    Delivering scathing wit as a Rogue using Sneak Attack.

Pester me on the Giant in the Playground Forums if you really need me.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

'Tis a shame I can only place names now...:
    Silver, Omnitense, Govinda, Aerif, Meier Link,
    (whatever is the name of) The Stig, Grizzly, Fishie,
    Craven, Spiral Architect, Flash AND Froggie.

Spaces still available. Join today!!

Nomu-baka, this is FAR from over...:

Blog Entries
    Kinda like the above responses here, though I know zero about coding and the like, I bet it would be quite difficult to implement for TFF. I know Facebook for example uses a type of real time chat with people that are on the site at the same time, but the thing is very buggy and most of the time messages don't even get sent to one another without mulitple attempts.

Not only that, but the chat would require moderation. It wouldn't be quite as fun as being random on MSN, plus people would be less inclined to follow the rules in the chat, since a lot of time people start convos for the sake of BSing and such.

If people would like to talk to one another on realtime, download MSN and use it, send out friend requests, and bam, you're in! If you need someone to add to get into convos and such, feel free to send me a PM, I always accept TFF people. (hell, the only reason I use MSN if for TFF, I have AIM for all of my RL friends, which is the reason I have both now, lol.)

But, if by some chance TFF got its own chat.... I would apply for mod! Oh, the day I get appointed to a mod position, that would be something.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

The Old Skool Warrior Chat Rooms/Shout Box suggestion LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I went ahead and selected OceanEyes28's response as the best answer to your question.

The reason most of the members participate in AIM or MSN chat rooms is because they are unaffiliated with the forums and don't have to concern themselves with forum policies. TGO mentioned this as well. As such, anything which goes on in said rooms is in no way associated with the forum.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

&quot;The False Hero&quot; Chat Rooms/Shout Box suggestion Cloudx7xstrife's Avatar
    There is something called chatango.
    I used to be a forum mod for a couple of sites and have good experience with HTML and coding.

With chatango you can create a chatbox and give certain rights to the people you want to have them such as banning, deleting, admin, etc.

I recommend it if you are looking for a chatbox BUT i dont recommend it unless you have something more rewarding for posting because with it NO ONE will post again unless it is for reviews, help, or detailed questions.

I think this would be better on the network site.

Final Fantasy Blogs, Rants, Articles, and More...

私は。。。思い出にはならないさ Chat Rooms/Shout Box suggestion chaosweapon's Avatar
    I remember that we used to invite each other on MSN. Discussions were quite mature but only a few people used to participate. I don't know if these conversations still exist because I barely had any free time since I began my Engineering course.