Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bring back old rep system?

Blog Entries

Bring back old rep system?

Is there some way we can bring back the old rep system por favor? The old rep system was far superior to the new "Thanks" system imo, and I don't know of anybody that actually prefers it over the old system.

As far as I know, the old rep system was abolished when a certain staff member made some assumptions about some groups of people were abusing the rep. Well, that staff is long gone from tff, and so are the "culprits" that were most likely abusing the system. For the record, this was all done on hearsay and the staff said that he was going to include hard evidence, never did.

For the end result, everything was changed around, despite the fact that many of the forum members disagreed with the staff member's decision. Now the thanks system that has replaced the rep is lame and is much ignored among the forum members.

I am all for bringing back the old system; this thanks one is a step backwards and does nothing for the members. I don't see why one staff member and several members, all of which aren't even active anymore, are the reason we have something that is so prehistoric in comparison to the rep system.

What are your thoughts/concerns/remarks?
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    Is Merlin really dead? o_O

As far as I'm concerned, I could go either way at this point. There were people with higher rep scores abusing it to get at the odd noob, but I haven't seen anything like that on MSN in a while. Of course there's that I only talk to a few TFFers regularly these days, but I haven't heard anything too bad.

Though then again, why change it? Both times you gave a green or red dot, both times you also gave a message... Meh.
    victoria aut mors

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I doesn't matter if we have the Rep or the Thanks, it can still be abused one way or another in my opinion. The system was fine, just some trolling members who abused it ruined the fun for everyone else to get a "lulz" and a .

I'm all for it coming back. When you think about it, wtf is the difference besides the change in the amount of points (btw, I think that's bloody ridiculous having one or two points given to you for a post), and the name of the system?

If someone abuses it, and it's reported and seen fit to, ban them from repping something for six months. >>;

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

#LOCKE4GOD Bring back old rep system? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For the benefit of myself and others like me, would some kind drake take this opportunity to explain the 'old system'?

Same as new system except 'Rep points' instead of 'Thanks'.
    Just the more reputation points you had the more you could lower/raise another's reputation.

If you amassed a large number you could potentially give or take a larger percentage of a lesser repped person's rep. If that makes sense...
    victoria aut mors

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Bring back old rep system? Treize's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Is there some way we can bring back the old rep system por favor? The old rep system was far superior to the new "Thanks" system imo, and I don't know of anybody that actually prefers it over the old system.

As far as I know, the old rep system was abolished when a certain staff member made some assumptions about some groups of people were abusing the rep. Well, that staff is long gone from tff, and so are the "culprits" that were most likely abusing the system. For the record, this was all done on hearsay and the staff said that he was going to include hard evidence, never did.

For the end result, everything was changed around, despite the fact that many of the forum members disagreed with the staff member's decision. Now the thanks system that has replaced the rep is lame and is much ignored among the forum members.

I am all for bringing back the old system; this thanks one is a step backwards and does nothing for the members. I don't see why one staff member and several members, all of which aren't even active anymore, are the reason we have something that is so prehistoric in comparison to the rep system.

What are your thoughts/concerns/remarks?
    This may sound dumb, but what exactly is the difference between the "Thanks" system and what was the "Rep" system? I haven't really used either very much, but from what I can tell, it looks almost identical except for the name. I always thought that rep was kind of cool, but it gets kind of annoying when people abuse the system so that they can brag about having more green squares than someone else.

Also I don't see why the rep system was changed in the first place to the thanks system. I thought the major concern was the harassing of members through rep, but that is still possible in the thanks system, is it not? The abuse part is just an annoyance, but I don't think it would be a big enough reason to change the system because it is just a side feature that doesn't really affect anything.

Since there really isn't much of a difference that I can see, unless someone can point out a difference that I don't see, I think it should just be left the same or abolished. It is nice to see a little comment about one of your posts, but I don't really see the point of the little green squares except for aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver
    Is Merlin really dead? o_O
    Merlin hasn't posted in over a year, but he could still be lurking like several other people do. =P

EDIT: I guess my question's been answered already... If that is the only difference then I think it should just be left the same. It doesn't seem worth the effort. Rep isn't that big of a deal, and it doesn't even mean anything to begin with. There are people that I respect a lot more here that have lower rep than others who have a whole lot of rep.
    Last edited by Treize; 01-18-2010 at 12:07 AM.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

アズテオル Bring back old rep system? Azuteor's Avatar
    Doesn't matter. It was the same back then.

I like how I'm able to find out who gave me the reps though.

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Bring back old rep system? Treize's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuteor View Post
    I like how I'm able to find out who gave me the reps though.
    I completely agree with you. This helps prevent harassment, and was probably all that needed to be changed in the first place. Plus it is kind of annoying to receive neg reps and not even know whom they are from.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

That feature was changed while it was still the rep system. If memory serves me correctly the change was made about a 1/2 a year before the system changed over to the "thanks" system.

I do miss the old point system that was incorperated in the rep system. I have got so many thanks and havent gained a single level since the thanks system was introduced.

Honestly besides the name change and the points distribution there isn't that much difference. I like the title "rep" better then "thanks".

Meh I cold go more into it but I will keep my mouth shut for now.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Lady Succubus Bring back old rep system? Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's the exact same thing. The only difference is the name. The points still exist, too.
    Just click on the rep button on your own posts and you'll see how many points you have.

....So no, no bringing back of the old rep system, since it's.. you know... still here.

Edit: Although, to be fair, I will say that Rocky has a point. Merlin don't come here anymore, and the 'culprits' probably don't come here anymore either.
    If it's brought back, that's cool, if not, that's cool also, since to me it's the same exact system.
    Last edited by Victoria; 01-18-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    So, a more established member could give or take more 'rep points' than a newer member?

Was it based on posts, or rep gained, or length of time they have been on the forums?

I think the current system sounds better, then. I mean, why should I get more rep from one person than another for a post that they like? If I was trying to gain rep, I'd just post to impress established members. I don't see why such a distinction should be made.

Just now, Dodie appreciated my request for an explanation. On what basis should that be worth less rep than if it had impressed Meier?

EDIT: It sounds like we should just reduce the points required to gain a fuggin' green square.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-18-2010 at 12:28 AM.

You still gets points, I will give that to you Sheena but the amount of points you get has drasticlly changed. Making it harder then hell to do anything with the current thanks system.

United, we move as one

My awards:

Gingersnap Bring back old rep system? OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm fine if I never see rep whoring ever again.

I appreciate when people have something nice to say to me (duh), but I like that it's no longer a competition for green dots.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by OceanEyes28 View Post
    I'm fine if I never see rep whoring ever again.

I appreciate when people have something nice to say to me (duh), but I like that it's no longer a competition for green dots.
    This coming from one of the members with the most green dots? Haha, sorry I had to say something.

The rep whoring was bull **** but alot of that died when the poster of the rep was revealed. A shame the secracy as gone(yeah that is sarcasm on this sentance).

United, we move as one

My awards:

Blog Entries
    See? That's the point, Meier. The way it's going is doing fine. What more do you want done with the thanks system?

Fuck rep whoring. Fuck points.

The whole point of the thanks system, is to....SAY THANKS. Not to gain points.

Gingersnap Bring back old rep system? OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Haha! But I didn't ask for those dots! They were given to me because I'm so nice.

Do you still get points? My points have stayed the same. Oh nooooo.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Sheena View Post
    The whole point of the thanks system, is to....SAY THANKS. Not to gain points.
    Why did everyone's points carry over then?

Blog Entries
    How the hell should I know? I didn't implement the system. >_>;

And besides, we still get points, but they're like... 2 points per thanks. ...Period. Doesn't matter from who. Points are irrelevant anyway. You don't see them unless you click the rep button on your own post. (Who the hell thinks to do -that-?)

I honestly think they got carried over because Merlin didn't know how to get rid of them. >_>

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think they got carried over because Merlin had some secret plan to bring rep back one day.

... or not.

Either way, no one has welcomed the change since day uno. Sure, points turned people into arseholes sometimes, but then that can be changed with a few rules and boundaries. In my opinion, that's all that needed to change.

Also... what is this about rep/thanks being anonymous? I've always been able to see who's given me rep/thanks. >>;

EDIT: I love how the activity suddenly boomed on here since this thread.
    Last edited by Unknown Entity; 01-18-2010 at 12:45 AM.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

scinario time!

Ok Toph, so say you make 100 posts and every one of them are thanks worthy and some d-bag makes one post and he gets a thanks for a crap post. Your bars are the same (if you are both new members). How is that fair to the person that took the time to put in the effort to make the decent posts???

I know they are just green dots but honestly they do represent something.

Keep in mind that Alpha is still on the same playing feild as someone that just signed up to TFF, is that fair??? Almost every post he makes is worthy of a Thanks IMO and yet he is still limited by the thanks system point distribution.

United, we move as one

My awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post
    Also... what is this about rep/thanks being anonymous? I've always been able to see who's given me rep/thanks. >>;
    They used to be anonymous, but that predated the change from rep to thanks system anyway I think.
    victoria aut mors

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    They used to be anonymous, but that predated the change from rep to thanks system anyway I think.
    See one of my previous posts. The change over to being able to see who"repped" you happned a few months before the change over to the thanks system happened.

Also Entity, you and I joined about the same time. when we both joined it was still anonymous.

United, we move as one

My awards:

The Quiet One Bring back old rep system? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I think Merlin was considering silently returning things back to the way they were once he came up with a system that he thought was functional and not was easily exploited. However, that never ended up happening for one reason or other.

The system is pretty much the same as it was, you just can't hugely modify a person's reputation like you could before. Which if you wanted to be a jerk to someone you didn't like it was very easy for a group of people just to negative rep someone into oblivion.

The purpose of the system still is here now, which is to let someone know that you thought their post was good or bad. The levels was just an added bonus.

And actually I do like the way things are now than before Entity. This reduces the system to its intended purpose. And it sounds like Ocean likes the way things are now as well along with probably a number of the staff members that were around when we had to deal with so many people abusing the system.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

アズテオル Bring back old rep system? Azuteor's Avatar
    I think it was the first 2 years of my stay in TFF that I wasn't able to find out who gave me reps. It was the anonymity that most members took advantage of. Most of the negative reps dealt with me being a part of the Light club back in the day. Wtf? I didn't even do anything to get on anyone's ass. =_=;

Maybe we should just get rid of the reputation system. We'll forget about it anyways!

Edit:

(Has second thoughts) Urgh, well, I'm still fine with what we have now anyways.
    Last edited by Azuteor; 01-18-2010 at 12:58 AM.

Blog Entries
    The point is that I didn't really care for people taking the old system away when the staff isn't around and no one cared for it to be changed in the first place.

Alpha, to answer your question, it's based on all three; join date, current rep points, and number of posts. I think with the current vB boards you can get up to like 16 points per rep or something. With the current system, you get 1, 2 if you get repped by a mod. Also, people already post stuff to impress established members anyways, regardless of whether the rep system is in use or not. It's not like rep would (or did, for that matter) increase that problem.

The main problem at the beginning was that people could leave reps anonymously, which led to people getting mean -reps, like on the verge of verbal harassment. Now that is all changed since you automatically see who sends you rep, whether it was a good or bad one.

Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Bring back old rep system? Polk's Avatar
    I think the thanks system is a stupid name.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James K. Polk View Post
    I think the thanks system is a stupid name.
    I just think it's funny how the popup thingie tells you "thank you for nothanking that user", makes me lol.

Blog Entries
    Meier, you're asking the wrong person. If I was the 100 posts person, I wouldn't care because it's not my problem. I don't care about points or if someone likes the other douche's crappy post. If they like it, that's their prerogative.

We can't really control what people like and what people don't like. And the anonymity got removed due to certain trolling and flaming and harassing with "anonymous" rep comments. >_>;

The Quiet One Bring back old rep system? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link View Post
    scinario time!

Ok Toph, so say you make 100 posts and every one of them are thanks worthy and some d-bag makes one post and he gets a thanks for a crap post. Your bars are the same (if you are both new members). How is that fair to the person that took the time to put in the effort to make the decent posts???

I know they are just green dots but honestly they do represent something.

Keep in mind that Alpha is still on the same playing feild as someone that just signed up to TFF, is that fair??? Almost every post he makes is worthy of a Thanks IMO and yet he is still limited by the thanks system point distribution.
    The problem Meier is that you're not pointing out a flaw in the current system or the previous system, but a flaw in society, humans, individuals or whatever you want to call. If all things in the world were fair in your scenario Shadow would have 100 thanks and the other would not. But people generally don't think about giving thanks to a post or reputation. So all the posts that he made that were awesome ended up getting ignored. It was a person that made the choice not to thank them, the system doesn't thank people. The old or new system would not have changed that fact.

People in general got reputation or thanks because it is someone they know and not because they are thinking it was a well written and awesome post. It does happen that is certain, but you have to remember that you're receiving thanks from a human and not a machine. So its the human factor that you've got a problem with, which is not something we can do anything about.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link View Post
    If all 100 posts were thanks-worthy, then they would have (at least) 100 thanks points. If I'm not mistaken, that would make their 'thanks level' (or whatever it is) level 2. I'm not sure if this correlates to two green squares, as they don't seem to match (they should, IMO).

As I said before, if you want some semblance of a rep system, reduce the number of points it takes to go up a level. I'm currently on 46 thanks points, in need of 54 more to get another level (I think). I don't really care, but that is a lot of thanks needed.

Where are my 400-odd thanks points then, Meier!?
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-18-2010 at 01:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast