Thread: Bad rep is used wrongly

Asking all the personal questions. Bad rep is used wrongly RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries

Bad rep is used wrongly

What is the point of bad rep when it used poorly and without good reasons and is used on peoples opinions and views.

I was given bad rep on a topic where i was stating the fact that plants are just as complex a species as humans.
    I believe i was harshly done by when give bad rep about my opinion now just to make it clear i am certified in Horticulture and Landscaping not trying to boast but when it comes to plants i know what am bloody talking about, and so i was given a bad rep on a topic i clearly know about so feel i was given bad rep on my knowledge and opinion and because the person had no idea what i was talking about instead of vm or pming me he decided to give me bad rep with no reason just saying 'wtf intelligent plants' being the comment i do not see that as enough evidence to give me bad rep and they are clearly dimwitted. If people have a problem with a post and does not met the standard of the topic or is senseless to the topic than shouldn't it be reported and not givin bad rep, i admit there is the times when i go off the topic as well though. But if you do not have a good enough reason or do not understand a post that should be no reason to give some one bad rep.

I know i may be picky and all but it is my opinion OH oh i might get bad rep for this post.

So in fact i was given bad rep for my own knowledge which means for example i can go to M16's post in aliens real or not because he has a greater knowledge of space than me and i don't understand as much as he does but no instead we habe a healthy debate and i even consult him on the topic.
    Come on seriously its just plain stupid!!
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

Registered User Bad rep is used wrongly Yesha's Avatar
    You're not the onLy who experienced that kind of shi*! I thought rep. is gone.. and been repLaced with same thankies thing? WeLL.. don't be sad having a bad rep. it's Like.. it's usuaL here.. and I'LL teLL u.. I got a bad rep. 'coz I mispeLLed "invincibLe".. I was Like.. what the heLL? LoL! I think.. I got 7 bad rep. 'coz of some.. nonsense things.. :-) Just Laugh it aLL!
    CLICK IT! TO SEE MY STUFFS:

Quote for the month:
    “Try harder to succeed.”

What am I Loving right now?:
    YOU!

My Art Thread: http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...ngs-lol-3.html

"HELLO GUYS!"

Really Yesha is right in this situation, the term Rep is still loosly thrown around the forum but in all actuality there is no such thing as rep, we are currently using a Thanks / No Thanks system. And the "Rep Bar" or "Thanks bar" is there just for show.

The abuse of the Rep system was it's own down fall and Merlin spent alot of time adjusting the system to where it is less likely to be abused. Given there are still the obvious flaws. But the thanks system is nothing more then a patroled rep system.

Now lets also take a look into the opposite spectrum, would you be just as offended if someone that knew nothing of what you where talking about gave you praise on a post just for the sake of doing so?

Now on to what you can do, if the rep is bothering you that much then you can contact an admin and ask for it to be removed. You might have to give reasoning as to why you think it should be removed BTW, so be prepared for it.

If it makes you feel any better I generally get "No thanks" comments over trivial things atleast once a month. Then again for every one "No Thanks" I will usually see 7-8 "Thanks", if not more. I am not trying to brag here I am just saying you have to take the bad with the good and not let it get to you.

There are quite a few people on here that are here to soley start problems with other members because they get enjoyment out of it. Meier's recomendation ---> ignore them. Also keep in mind that we have alot of younger members, no offence to them, that think they are always right when they are not. Meier's recomedation ----> teach them.

Ok this has quickly turned into a rant so I will close it up fast.

Basic recap of what was stated, remember this is a web forum, people are going to have uninformed opinions and not always going to agree with you, just keep that in mind. "No Thanks" responces can be ignored, just take a look at the person doing the Thanking and look at their "Thanks Bar". I have found most of the time that the people doing the "No Thanks" are generally users with a low bar status themselves. Try not to let trivial things get to you bro.

I have been there before and know where you are coming from on this one.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Asking all the personal questions. Bad rep is used wrongly RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries
    Ok thanks for that mate i suppose i am just being picky and annal i just think its stupid to get a NO Thanks from someone who obviously doesn't know what your talking about why not just ignore and move on anyway thats behind me you have softened my opinion on the matter and made me more open once again thank you.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

Ex-SOLDIER Bad rep is used wrongly Cloud Strife's Avatar
    Most forums allow you to disable the Reputation system for your account in the User CP > Edit Options... but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Vagabond Thief Bad rep is used wrongly Rikkuffx's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Strife View Post
    Most forums allow you to disable the Reputation system for your account in the User CP > Edit Options... but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
    They did disable the rep system a few months ago and just recently brought it back up. I think they should just do away with it again for a while,there seems to be alot of harassment going on in it as of late.
    ~TFF Family~
    Doc Rocco-My illegitimate and nefarious son
    Fishie-My lusty neighbor who loves to egg old people!
    Martin-My awesome Tff lil bro who lets me cry on his shoulder!
    Unknown Entity-My wonderful banner making sis <3
    Halie-my slightly crazy but wondeful sis <3
    My geeky maple story loving bro-joesteel64

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    Using the rep system to bully was my concern earlier and I noticed it didn't really seem to get addressed.

So long as you mask a comment behind a guise suggesting it's useful or can be reasonably satisfied a member wouldn't likely report the abuse of the system, it's very easy to get away with this as rep doesn't seem to be watched by anyone other than yourself more oft than not. Hell, even the rep as a number was still there last I checked. Just click the rep button on one of your own posts.

This all said, it's not a problem that can easily be fixed as it seems to be human nature for a fair few people to be dicks. As Meier said, it's likely best to take the good with the bad, though it's a damn shame if any individual is getting picked on by a few people. Another thing I see an awful lot in some people... lulz
    victoria aut mors

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Either way, there is no difference between the Thanks and the Rep system - both allow people to spam or bully eachothers list of... Thanks.

Maybe, you should disable the No Thanks Option, and that people can only say something good to you if they like your post. Or, get someone watching the Thanks people are getting and deciding if it is worth it or not. :S

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Lady Succubus Bad rep is used wrongly Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It wouldn't matter if No Thanks was disabled. They'd still say mean crap with the Thanks.
    And real abuse can't be stopped unless the abusee takes a screenshot and reports it to the proper staff people.

So it's not really the system's fault. It's the fault of the users. The reason why it was changed to a Thanks system was because the "Rep" system itself was being abused.

That was the reason why. Not because of the people being abused.

It's not like the system is anonymous. You can see the user who says shit about you. So what you do is you take a screenshot and send a PM to an admin or supermod.

Registered User Bad rep is used wrongly winterborn86's Avatar
    I've never bad repped or No thanksed (<---lol don't even think thats a word), anyone before, my opinion is that if I don't like something someone has said ignore it, im not goin to do the rep/thanks on negative stuff incase that person thinks im bullying or picking on them. I'm happy to thank people but like I said, if I don't like it, I keep it too myself, I dont want to make other people feel bad or annoyed.
    Just ignore bad stuff, it can't hurt you.

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by winterborn86 View Post
    I've never bad repped or No thanksed (<---lol don't even think thats a word), anyone before, my opinion is that if I don't like something someone has said ignore it, im not goin to do the rep/thanks on negative stuff incase that person thinks im bullying or picking on them. I'm happy to thank people but like I said, if I don't like it, I keep it too myself, I dont want to make other people feel bad or annoyed.
    Just ignore bad stuff, it can't hurt you.
    Lolz... Niether have I, I don't think. If I have done, it is by accident, and the person I sent it to will have a nice comment lol.

I've ony had one bad rep/Thanks sent to me... why? Because I gave Doc Rocco a high score in the "Your opinion on the above Banner" game, and didn't give Tiger Lily enough credit for her work. Well, excuse the **** outta me. >.<

I'm mean, come the **** on! Why would you good rep someone to bully them because you can't send bad rep? Unless... you bring back rep, and take out the bad comments! Why would anyone give someone an opportunity to gloat at them for sending then good rep with a bad comment?

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.