Thread: Factions Community Discussions

Synthesized Ascension Factions Community Discussions Zardoch's Avatar

Factions Community Discussions

This is what you would call the "Forum Suggestions" thread of Factions, as here is the perfect place for discussing Factions, what's happening with Factions, and what we might be able to do to make things better. Questions about factions or specific things are also encouraged.

I know this is double post, but I doubt people are going to jump into this thread without a little direction.

First off, I'd like to discuss with everyone the storyline I recently added to Factions IC. I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the storyline? Also, should there be any changes to it?

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar
    Hmm... well, the story is a bit vague, but since we've only started there will probably be plenty of time to elaborate. If anything, I would talk about the years leading up to the present. I would specifically like to know about how magic was introduced/discovered. If it's the latter, is it only in one specific type of item or prevalent throughout the world, ancient or alien, etc. Also what is the nature of it, or is that a mystery? Things like that.
    Last edited by SOLDIER #819; 08-26-2009 at 12:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

Great points. In that case, I'll create a new thread in the Factions Mainframe forum of somewhat of a 'Storyline Timeline' so I'll be able to explain such things and further elaborate on this TFF world.

Registered User Factions Community Discussions HUNK's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well I liked the storyline but I was aswell confused as to what the magic was originally used for. Odviously it could have potential for war but was that its first use? I think that is somthing you need to explain.

A few other things that would be worth mentioning in the Timeline would be just general technological advances and mabey and contact with alien life or wars.

Other than that I like it.

Factions has officially opened! Post your characters and start making new threads! It's time for a war!

Lady Succubus Factions Community Discussions Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ..Start making new threads?
    About what? About waking up in the morning and making bacon?

Like I said in the group. Don't just sit there and say "Do it", tell us what the hell you want us to do. What should the threads be about? Why did you make your thread? Who is allowed to post in it?

...Direction, man! Give it!

Alright, here's some bloody orders for ya.

Everyone interested in Factions, create a character, post it, then either post in the Faction Adoption Agency or join a friend's Factions.

For those who already have Factions, create a starting point and/or communicate with other factions you may be fighting. In other words, make new threads based off of this. Using the Default Faction Storyline will help as you understand the world and who the villain is (me). The whole point of Factions is to improve and increase the size of ones' Faction OR carry out the main goal made in their mission statement. This means working together with not only your Factions and friends, but other people--enemies--in order to move the story along.

For example, I spoke with Rocky about the first thread I made as our Factions will be interacting. We planned out what we're going to do and how we're going to do it. So remember this one last piece of advice: While this is Factions, OOC-wise, everyone is a writer/Role-player that like any other RP, talk to each other to progress the RP. IC-wise, they're characters may hate each other, but the people RPing those characters don't. Truly, it's all about working together.

That enough direction for ya?

Blog Entries
    Thank you. Now was that so hard? Now we'll know how to have our threads start off and such.

Professional Klutz. Factions Community Discussions Hyzenthlay's Avatar
    LMAO.
    Vicky is soooooooooooo picky.
    Picky Vicky...

Gotcha, I'll inform Psiko asap. =]
    If he isnt already on. I have like... 20 mins online.

Anyway. I'll post soon.

Hyz.
    Cogito, ergo sum.
    PRK9, putting the Kitty back in Por Rorr.
    Most likely to have supernatural babies- TFF Bogus Awards 2009- Winner

Blog Entries
    Hey Griff, due some circumstances I will be unavailable to be online enough to post for the next few weeks, but Loaf will be able to pick up the slack and will be the main interacter with your faction. I will let you know soon as I'm back, but Loaf knows what to do, so feel free to contact him about what working on the collaboration, but I've already forwarded the main PM to him.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Okay, before this thing fully dies like the Academy; we need a page for Factions to talk to eachother. Kinda like a page-scape, so that we can challenge eachother and stuff. It doesn't work just being like 'get to it'.

Hyz.
    Last edited by Hyzenthlay; 09-19-2009 at 07:42 AM.
    Cogito, ergo sum.

Blog Entries
    I thought that's what the usergroup was for?

Wha'? :S

I haven't seen this page. Where is it?

EDIT: Lol, know what it is now. Still, though, there should be a page in here.

Hyz.
    Last edited by Hyzenthlay; 09-19-2009 at 09:06 AM.
    Cogito, ergo sum.

Blog Entries

No consent? More direction? Do you want fries with that?

I just got done talking to DH from texting, and she says she was put into a faction without any say whether she even wanted to be in one or not.

Her words were thus: "I was rather put off at being put in a faction without being consulted as to whether I actually wanted to be in it."

Also, it seems to me that Griff isn't taking this project as seriously as he should. His direction is vague, he gives no communication. (Heck, no one still knows what to do; no one even knew that his faction is going against Rocky's faction.)

Seriously Griff, I know you have other stuff outside of TFF to do. Which begs the question; Why did you even open this up at all? It hasn't even really been fully organized or thought out.

It's just like you had the idea for it, changed the forum around and put up some guidelines and such, and was like "okay cool, now you guys can make a faction and do whatever."

It is your job to make sure the factions are running correctly; and it is also your job to make sure things stay active and flowing.

Which you are not doing.

You should also take your position, and this system seriously. Which you are giving evidence otherwise.

You are the system administrator. You should really act like it.
    We need more communication as to what's going on between factions.

I had to tell Hyz about your faction taking on Rocky's faction. She wanted to take on yours, but she didn't know about the fact that you're already interacting with Rocky's faction. Why keep that information from people?

It's really upsetting to people when they're kept in the dark.

From my observations of what's going on with the system so far (or lack thereof), I'm afraid to say that....

You have no idea what the heck you're doing.

It's been practically two weeks and nothing is moving whatsoever.
    I've made a topic about this in the usergroup and two people have posted in it. One is really busy and waiting on something to happen. The other is Rocky and he's away and left things to Loaf.

....What is Loaf doing anyway? What's Loaf's status on whatever he's doing?

COMMUNICATION IS KEY.

This concludes yet another Victoria rant.

I totally agree. Clarity would be nice. I hate to be kept in the dark about anything that I'm involved in. There should have been some notice that you were taking on Rocky in a news thread. The fact that you didn't is quite annoying.

This Factions idea isn't like the wars in the past. Those were unplanned and, in the case of BoD and tM, for power. You can't expect things to just happen. The world doesnt work like that. I wouldn't just fight a faction; I like the members of them. It won't just happen, not without clear direction.

Hyz.
    Cogito, ergo sum.

Yeah, recently things outside of TFF have become busier. I do apologize for that; however, as much as I should be taking initiative, what about everyone else?

"Well, they have no sense of direction! That's your job!"

Agreed, but in the matter of communication, how many of you who are already in factions are actually doing that? If Hyz wanted to fight me instead of rocky's group, she should have PMed me to talk about it. And what have you done yourself, Toph, other than criticize me? I know you're not really in any faction, but c'mon. Certainly some of you critiques' are not incorrect, but considering you and a handful of others have gone through a similar system before, why aren't you doing something yourself? **** man, DO I HAVE THE BE THE ONLY ONE WHO ****ING COMMUNICATES WITH OTHER PEOPLE? I already spelled it out earlier in this thread about what factions should do.

Everyone interested in Factions, create a character, post it, then either post in the Faction Adoption Agency or join a friend's Factions.

For those who already have Factions, create a starting point and/or communicate with other factions you may be fighting. In other words, make new threads based off of this. Using the Default Faction Storyline will help as you understand the world and who the villain is (me). The whole point of Factions is to improve and increase the size of ones' Faction OR carry out the main goal made in their mission statement. This means working together with not only your Factions and friends, but other people--enemies--in order to move the story along.

For example, I spoke with Rocky about the first thread I made as our Factions will be interacting. We planned out what we're going to do and how we're going to do it. So remember this one last piece of advice: While this is Factions, OOC-wise, everyone is a writer/Role-player that like any other RP, talk to each other to progress the RP. IC-wise, they're characters may hate each other, but the people RPing those characters don't. Truly, it's all about working together.
    It's not my job to hold everyones' hand, even though as much as I should kick their ass, that wouldn't solve anything. I have given you a BASE for a storyline. I have given you a WORLD to enter and explore. I have given you every bloody freedom to do something, ANYTHING you want (within everyday rules). I even gave you a freakin villain and said, "Hey, look at that guy. He's going to **** up the world. What are you going to do about it?"

So again, I'm sorry for not being as active as I should, but this isn't my world. This is everybodies' world. I'll mod it, answer questions, and kick some ass. In the mean time, other people who have at least made characters or factions should try to contact other characters and factions. Is that really so difficult to comprehend, especially for experienced RPers? Seriously, I'm disappointed. I shouldn't tell you HOW to turn right or HOW to walk.

I'll get my shit together if you get yours. Deal?

Blog Entries
    Therein lies your problem. Too much freedom. And why am I not doing anything?

Because I can't do anything. I'm not in a faction, as you said. So...I can't do anything now can I? What would you expect me to do without being in a faction?

You can't expect things to just work when you say "do whatever you want".
    And what world are you speaking of? There is no such thing.

Where's the world map? Where are the main territories?
    ...If the world is earth, then that is a cop out.
    Also giving absolute freedom to do "whatever you want" is also a cop out.

You do raise a point, however, in the realm of communication. Those in a faction should be communicating with each other more often. But you know what?

Not everyone has put up a character, and not everyone is in a faction. If you look at the list, very very few people have characters and are even in a faction.

Not many people to communicate with.

Hyz and Psiko talk to each other actively.
    Xeim talks to no one in her faction. (She admitted in the usergroup that she has no idea what anyone else in her faction is doing. Again, Xeim has an excuse because she is busy. So that's fine....to a degree.)
    Rocky's is just...him and loaf. Rocky is away. Loaf is busy with you. Allegedly.
    And then there's yours. ...Which just has you in it.

Now, I'm in the process of joining Hyz's faction and am making a character currently.

Also, I am contributing. By giving feedback that you need so much and critiquing the way you're running things.

Someone has to do it. So how dare you say I'm not doing anything.

Why do you think I'm even ranting in the first place? Because I have prior experience. I'm giving you feedback! This counts as contribution.

Also, to lash out at Hyz and myself in a VM is somewhat disappointing. If you're not going to take what we say on board, then that just makes you less of a leader/administrator.

Clearly, when you made this system, you made it so that you wouldn't have to lift a finger to do anything. Which is fine for some things, but not for this. This needs as much involvement from everyone as possible.

I'm just trying to get things going. Whether by calling out your errors, and/or calling out everyone's errors.

The bottom line is:
    Stop waiting for people to do things, and just do things. You don't even really HAVE to interact with another faction to make an RP thread. Just RP your origins, too! RP how you all met. Something! Anything!

Again, I think you believe that Factions is just like any normal RP. Well, it's not. It's a lot more complex, even with a barebones system like this. It actually is your job to hold our hands. This is YOUR system. This is YOUR world, whether you want it or not. Take some bloody responsibility for your creation and RUN it/LEAD us.

We need more than a "base" story. We need something very thorough and thought out. Okay, so the antagonist is labeled. That's a nice start. What else about the story?

Does he have any alliances? What is he looking for? What is the history of the thing that he is looking for?

I'm beginning to wonder if you underestimated the responsibility of running a faction system.

Also, another thing that is related to the usergroup (over 30 people). And this is directed toward everyone in it (that doesn't have a faction or character..)

If you want to participate in this system, please make a faction and/or character to be recruited in an existing faction. If the existing factions do not fit your needs, make one of your own. Why are you even in the usergroup if you aren't going to participate in this system?

There are over 30 people in the group, yet there is less than 10 people participating. Where are the other 20?

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Sheena View Post
    Because I can't do anything. I'm not in a faction, as you said. So...I can't do anything now can I? What would you expect me to do without being in a faction?
    That's bull and you know it. Just below you say you're joining Hyz. That's doing something. You're hands aren't tied behind your back. You aren't banned or limited to creating a character or joining a faction. All this time you've been here, you have had plenty of chances to do something.

Where's the world map? Where are the main territories?
    ...If the world is earth, then that is a cop out.
    Also giving absolute freedom to do "whatever you want" is also a cop out.
    First I'm criticized for going over board with something like TFF Academy and making it too 'intimidating' and now I'm criticized for creating this 'cop out' as a way to make it 'newb friendly'. That's the whole idea of creating this alternative version of earth where I A) Don't have to destroy my brain by building an entirely new world and B) Allow everyone to be familiar with a world they already live in, minus a few alterations. Given I should probably add a few more details so that people can have better assurances about the world. That's almost what I'm trying to avoid, however, because I do not want to turn this into an over-extensive system where you have to study every detail before jumping into the story. Sure, I wouldn't mind the idea of being very descriptive, yet again I'm trying to keep it as loose as possible so it's easy for newcomers to become acquainted.

You do raise a point, however, in the realm of communication. Those in a faction should be communicating with each other more often. But you know what? Not everyone has put up a character, and not everyone is in a faction. If you look at the list, very very few people have characters and are even in a faction.
    Yes, so who's fault is that? No one, of course, but like I just told you no one is being held against their will NOT to create a character or join a faction or create a faction of their own.

Also, I am contributing. By giving feedback that you need so much and critiquing the way you're running things. Someone has to do it. So how dare you say I'm not doing anything. Why do you think I'm even ranting in the first place? Because I have prior experience. I'm giving you feedback! This counts as contribution.
    That's it? Don't get me wrong, Toph, I love feedback, but that's ALL you have done. Don't try to deflect the fact you have had all the time in the world to pick up your own responsibility to contribute, at least I.C.. You're prior experience might be helpful, though my point is considering you've have been through similar ideals I shouldn't have to hold your hand too. Since you're so experienced in the first place, you should already know what you want to do. What's stopping you?

Also, to lash out at Hyz and myself in a VM is somewhat disappointing. If you're not going to take what we say on board, then that just makes you less of a leader/administrator.
    Lash out? I would consider what I said a little harsh, yet it was based on the same point I said above. You are picky and even IF I'm suppose to be holding everyones' hand, there should be some of the weight of responsibility on your shoulders as well to do something.

The bottom line is:
    Stop waiting for people to do things, and just do things. You don't even really HAVE to interact with another faction to make an RP thread. Just RP your origins, too! RP how you all met. Something! Anything!

Again, I think you believe that Factions is just like any normal RP. Well, it's not. It's a lot more complex, even with a barebones system like this. It actually is your job to hold our hands. This is YOUR system. This is YOUR world, whether you want it or not. Take some bloody responsibility for your creation and RUN it/LEAD us.
    Fair enough.

I'm beginning to wonder if you underestimated the responsibility of running a faction system.
    Nah. I knew there would be phases for the system as it would evolve over time. I would, in fact, become more involved as things progressed.

My bottom line is this: I'll take responsibility, but everyone should be able to carry their own weight too. When people join Factions, it comes with the responsibility of being an active player and contributor. I'm not going to hold their hands and wipe their ass too. I mean what I had in mind is more or less that I would be the person to give people the tools to build their own legends. I guess in this case, I have to demonstrate how to combine the tools as well.

parkour messenger extrodinaire Factions Community Discussions Mokkan Brushtail's Avatar

Re: Factions Community Discussions

first off kudos to a factions system, now we just need more people!

and I hope this takes off, it would be a great way to follow one character fully.
    so again kudos, congrats, and ciao
    The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

From the darkest Shadows, I strike for truth!

My TFF family so far:
    my maniacal cousin, Morik the Rogue