Thread: So, I Started FF1 Again (PS1 - Origins)

So, I Started FF1 Again (PS1 - Origins)

Basically, I haven't played Final Fantasy 1 in absolute years, so I'm wanting general advice regarding how I started.

Here is my party setup:

Fighter
    Fighter
    Red Mage
    Monk

Is this a generally good party to play through the game with? I feel having the Red Mage instead of both Black and White will become useful as it's cheaper and leaves me more party options for a Fighter/Monk instead of wasting a space. I know you are limited in how many spells the Red Mage has, but I don't neccersarily think I need a Black and White mage, or do I?

I'm playing on normal mode, because i've been tolled that easy mode is even easier than the GBA remake...

So yeah, any general tips will help a lot, thanks a lot.

I think I'm beginning to understand. An answer from the Planet, the Promised Land...I think I can meet her...there.

Blog Entries
    Two fighters is going to make the early game grind a long one, but now that I look at it with a bit more foresight, it should be pretty interesting how things pan out after the class changes. Two healers/tanks, one DD, and then a main healer/AoE kind of dude in the party, you will be able to handle many things at once if you play your cards right. If you can get past the boredom from raising money and leveling before you kill Astos, you should be able to have quite a bit of fun with this group later on. Best wishes sir.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

I've been playing the game a lot today, and like you said, I found myself training a LOT, especially at the Elf Village (don't remember it's name where there's Mythril Weapons that cost 2000gil...), but yes, I am sure I will be rewarded later in the game when I realise i've trained so much my characters are now as hard as nails . Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm beginning to understand. An answer from the Planet, the Promised Land...I think I can meet her...there.

I want to play a game. So, I Started FF1 Again (PS1 - Origins) Zargabaath's Avatar
    The only bad thing about the Red Mage is it can't get higher level spells and is not as potent with the spells he has as White Mage and Black Mage are with their respective magic. It is an interesting set up, one that is more challenging without a great healer. I tend to stay away from using more than one class in Final Fantasy or any game in the series with a job system. I would have switched a the Fighter or Red Mage for a White Mage.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Selkie in training So, I Started FF1 Again (PS1 - Origins) Silver Spyro's Avatar
    I restarted also. I have..

Black mage
    Warrior
    White mage
    Red mage.

Yours sounds like a better group, though. D8
    Call me Silver.

Warrior of Light So, I Started FF1 Again (PS1 - Origins) OnionKnight's Avatar
    Silver Spyro, the only criticism I would have is that your party would be more effective if you switched the red mage out. I'm sure it will still be fun though

My favorite party is:

Warrior
    Monk
    Red Mage
    White Mage

I find having two magic-only mages becomes a liability due to their low defense. I chose WM over BM as White mages are able to use the Heal spells, whereas the RM cannot, and Heal is absolutely necessary when fighting Chaos, IMO. Monk, despite his low defense, does a lot more damage than the Thief (actually there is not much difference in their defense to me). He is also a lot cheaper to equip.
    "Time...it will not wait...
    No matter how hard you hold on,
    It escapes you..."

Let's make it rain. So, I Started FF1 Again (PS1 - Origins) Jonathanx221's Avatar

Re: So, I Started FF1 Again (PS1 - Origins)

My party is

Fighter
    Thief
    Black Mage
    White Mage

Simply because I want a ninja. I just healed the prince, almost level 10 now. =] Played for 6 hours today.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Two fighters has always been overkill for me in FFI.
    I tend to favour a combination of mages with a thief for quicker kill tactics, though I'm often about all out attack in any RPG that allows me to play that way well.
    Black Mage + Black Mage + White Mage + Thief
    or
    Black Mage + Red Mage + Thief + White Mage
    have been my most common setups.
    victoria aut mors

Let's make it rain. So, I Started FF1 Again (PS1 - Origins) Jonathanx221's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Two fighters has always been overkill for me in FFI.
    I tend to favour a combination of mages with a thief for quicker kill tactics, though I'm often about all out attack in any RPG that allows me to play that way well.
    Black Mage + Black Mage + White Mage + Thief
    or
    Black Mage + Red Mage + Thief + White Mage
    have been my most common setups.
    That sounds fun, Dude the Marsh Cave, I've heard it's the worst, but I actually had to see it for myself. SCREW THAT PLACE. I don't even wanna go back with the Mystic Key, I hate it that much.

I would explode to save your life~ So, I Started FF1 Again (PS1 - Origins) SeaAlchemist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathanx221 View Post
    That sounds fun, Dude the Marsh Cave, I've heard it's the worst, but I actually had to see it for myself. SCREW THAT PLACE. I don't even wanna go back with the Mystic Key, I hate it that much.
    yay someone who agrees with me >.< the marsh cave is heck >............<

Quote Originally Posted by Terra Branford View Post
    yay someone who agrees with me >.< the marsh cave is heck >............<
    After I get the items from that cave, I'm never going back. That cave could actually stop me from playing that game through again. Aha.