Thread: Question on the Emperor (FF II)

I want to play a game. Question on the Emperor (FF II) Zargabaath's Avatar

Question on the Emperor (FF II)

I recenlty beat Final Fantasy II for the third time. This time I did not use the Blood Sword; I wanted to see if I could beat the game without it. I did beat the Emperor without the Blood Sword but I was perplexed once I vanquished him. I did not keep an actual count, but from what math I was doing in my head I don't think I should have beaten him when I did.

My strongest hitter was Firion with the Masamune and the Cat Claws, the Masamune was hitting for 1,000. I had Aura, Haste, Beserk up and casted them multiple times. Everyone else was hitting around 100-200. Now he physically hit me twice. Now it is to my belief that when the Emperor physically hits a member of the party he is healed as it shows him being cured. The first physical attack against me I know he would have been fully healed since I had not accumulated that much damage. I kept attacking him then he physically attacked me again; he was not fully healed that time. After 2-3 more rounds of the same damage output he went down. It says that the Emperor has 15,000 HP and I know I got nowhere near that when I defeated him. There are three rationales I can come up with: 1) The Emperor does not have 15,000 Hp, 2) When the Emperor physically attacks it does not actual heal him even though the game says it does, 3) The game glitched.

I'm thinking that if it was rationale 2 I would have reached the 15,000 mark with the damage I had done. However, I am not sure if it can be true. So I am looking for other players tales of the fight and to see if they experienced something similiar so I can get a better understanding.

When I do play Final Fantasy II for the fourth time I will keep a Hp count on the Emperor to see how much Hp he actually has.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

combat ready Question on the Emperor (FF II) nocht's Avatar
    don't try to rationalize it just celebrate

The Lost Writer Question on the Emperor (FF II) Psiko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargabaath View Post
    I recenlty beat Final Fantasy II for the third time.
    Ooh I love a good torture story. Sounds like you enjoy pain!

May I ask what it is about this game that has prompted three playthroughs? I've tried three times to play the game and lose interest after just a few hours each time. I loathe the system it uses, even moreso than FFVIII. Does it end up having a gripping story to compensate for the lameness, like VIII did?

I really want a reason to convince myself to suffer through the game, especially after playing Dissidia.

I think if I beat the game your celebration might garner more of a response from me.
    OLD SKOOL - A positive appellation referring to when things weren't flashy but empty of substance, were done by hard work, didn't pander to the lowest common denominator, and required real skill. Labour-saving devices, shortcuts that reduce quality and quitting before the task is done are not characteristics of "old skool."

In reference to computer games, refers to a game that had substantial playability without flashy graphics or eye candy. Old skool gamers appreciate difficult maneuvers, careful planning, and scorched earth policies.

In reference to role-playing games, old skool refers to games that tested players' wits, could kill off careless characters, and required dedication and inner strength to play. Old skool games didn't pander to the ideas that everyone is created equal, that all options are open to all races, that the markets were somehow free, and that a quasi-medieval society could have near 100% literacy.

See also classic.

Representing the Old Skool ways since 1984.

I want to play a game. Question on the Emperor (FF II) Zargabaath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psiko View Post

May I ask what it is about this game that has prompted three playthroughs? I've tried three times to play the game and lose interest after just a few hours each time. I loathe the system it uses, even moreso than FFVIII. Does it end up having a gripping story to compensate for the lameness, like VIII did?

I really want a reason to convince myself to suffer through the game, especially after playing Dissidia.

I think if I beat the game your celebration might garner more of a response from me.

Why I have playthroughed it three times is it is a Final Fantasy in the main series and I want to replay all of them for as long as possible. Did you hate the whole system or just the magic system? To me, the magic system is pretty bad and takes a long time; the stat system I actually liked what you do in combat reflects how the character will grow, pretty smart and simple.

I don't know if you are interested in Final Fantasy XIV, but I believe they will be using a stat system similiar to Final Fantasy II just to warn you... possibly.

Another question I have is did you play Chrono Cross and if so, did you have any problems with that system? The reason I ask is because stat growth is the same as how it is Final Fantasy II and if you had no problems with Chrono Cross you shouldn't have found the system in Final Fantasy II that horrible.

Onward with answering more of your questions. As I said, the magic system is pretty bad luckily magic is not too important. The most important spells are healing and support, attack magic is not as usefull and very weak unless you have a high intelligence stat. The story for its time is pretty good with some good characters ( a lot of "first" characters as well) to go with the story. One thing I hate about Final Fantasy II is the chocobo theme, I don't know if you have heard it, but it is a very basic version and annoys me.

The first time I beat Final Fantasy II was playing the Origins version and it took me around 50 hours, I got my magic real high but it was for not because my magic stats were not that great. The second and third times were with the Dawn of Souls version. The second time took me 17 hours and some change; I ran through the game and my magic stats were better than the first time but I didn't focus on magic too much. The third time took me around 30 hours and I did focus on the most important magic and got good stats all around. I wrote this down so you have a reference to how long it could take and whether you would decide to try once more on this game.

Final Fantasy II is a good game but it does have an apparent flaw - the magic system- other than that it is well made. Remember not to think of raising your stats or magic as torture but a different way to train, as it is training, because in other games you have to fight battles as well.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 Question on the Emperor (FF II) T.G. Oskar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psiko View Post
    Tsk tsk tsk...you don't know a real torture story until you've played Persona. The original Persona (I think the PSP made slight changes that improve upon the system, but my pathological fear of the game makes me unable to prove that).

FFII isn't a bad game, much less based on its system. I'd speak of that since I've played several SaGa games, and I've enjoyed each of them. The one I've least enjoyed is...well, you'll probably figure it's Unlimited Saga, and it's the only game that doesn't have the tried-and-true system.

Quote Originally Posted by Zargabaath View Post
    I recenlty beat Final Fantasy II for the third time. This time I did not use the Blood Sword; I wanted to see if I could beat the game without it. I did beat the Emperor without the Blood Sword but I was perplexed once I vanquished him. I did not keep an actual count, but from what math I was doing in my head I don't think I should have beaten him when I did.

My strongest hitter was Firion with the Masamune and the Cat Claws, the Masamune was hitting for 1,000. I had Aura, Haste, Beserk up and casted them multiple times. Everyone else was hitting around 100-200. Now he physically hit me twice. Now it is to my belief that when the Emperor physically hits a member of the party he is healed as it shows him being cured. The first physical attack against me I know he would have been fully healed since I had not accumulated that much damage. I kept attacking him then he physically attacked me again; he was not fully healed that time. After 2-3 more rounds of the same damage output he went down. It says that the Emperor has 15,000 HP and I know I got nowhere near that when I defeated him. There are three rationales I can come up with: 1) The Emperor does not have 15,000 Hp, 2) When the Emperor physically attacks it does not actual heal him even though the game says it does, 3) The game glitched.
    Considered how many hits you really landed? If you've defeated it on 3-4 rounds, considering the 2nd rationale, you've landed approximately 4000 (from the Masamune) + damage from Cat Claws (although I presume that's added into the 1000, so it can be obviated) + ((100-200) * 3 characters * 4 rounds) (which would be around 1200-2400). By the second rationale, you would've dealt 6,400 HP as maximum, which is not even half of his HP.

I'd add the fourth rationale of "it behaves like Zeromus", which originally was guessed to have over 64,000 HP but it was found that Zeromus recovers HP at apparently random intervals, so it seems to have more HP than before. Perhaps this is the case of the Emperor, which would imply the first rationale but with a corollary: it has less than 15,000 HP but the healing ability causes it to have an artificially higher amount of HP. If the HP count is based on the Bestiary though, it may perhaps be a throw-off from the game?

Also...usually, Petrify and Death are considered separate elements. Not sure if this applies on FFII, but is there a chance that you have a weapon that causes Petrify (that you know of) and that was equipped with some of your characters? Unless Petrify is considered as "Matter", it sounds reasonable.
    Delivering scathing wit as a Rogue using Sneak Attack.

Pester me on the Giant in the Playground Forums if you really need me.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

'Tis a shame I can only place names now...:
    Silver, Omnitense, Govinda, Aerif, Meier Link,
    (whatever is the name of) The Stig, Grizzly, Fishie,
    Craven, Spiral Architect, Flash AND Froggie.

Spaces still available. Join today!!

Nomu-baka, this is FAR from over...:

Re: Question on the Emperor (FF II)

SqureEnix is being sneaky again...

cloud_ultima_wielder

Re: Question on the Emperor (FF II)

yea I think you're over analyzing this a bit, you can always reference a player's guide to get the proper HP count.