Premise: A Role-playing Tournament with an emphasis on single player performance within the confines of a group. Tasks are given out for each group to reach an end goal. Each task is considered a round and will connect together to create a larger scale plot that covers all of the tasks. The members of each group will be judged on their performance during the task and the victor advances.

Tournament Rules

• This is a tournament, but it is a role-playing tournament so all role-playing rules apply. I shall not repeat them, as the participant should be well aware of the rules.
  • The tournament is open to anyone to join; there are no requirements for entry.
  • Rounds of the tournament will be handled in groups ranging from 2-4 depending on number of players that sign up.
  • Each round every group will be given a quest and each group will receive a different quest. The group’s task is to complete the assigned quest together. Completion of the quest will end the round for that group and judging will be handled at the end of all quests.
  • A thorough and detailed character profile will be required, the information required will be provided at the bottom. This information will be necessary for the creation of the quests and how the overall plot will be molded.
  • Quests will be handled in the normal tournament bracket system, with some possible modifications to adjust to the size and number of the players. Since each tournament will be unique, full explanation of the bracket system will be explained for each tournament individually.
  • All characters created in the tournament will be bound from appearing in future tournament. This means you create a different character for each tournament, no one will be allowed to use a previous character from a tournament in an upcoming tournament.
  • Also there is not going to be a set deadline, however do not feel that you have infinity time. The quest you are given can be as long as you wish. You need to post enough so that you can be judge thorough, just do not continue it on forever. If you want a gauge, then roughly ten posts would be enough.
  • Completion of the quest is manditory, failure to complete the quest will mean it will not be judge. This should not be a problem as deadlines will not be introduce until a majority of the quests are completed. Remember completion, does not mean victory, completion simply means the quest is finished.

Explanation of the Quests

The quests will be considered the rounds in this tournament. Completion of a quest brings the end of the round. The time required to complete the quest is undefined and will be allowed to continued until its end. If the times for completion become too long, a deadline to wrap up remaining quests will be announced. The quest themselves will be different and unique for each group. However, since this is a role-play all of the quests will be connected through an over arcing plot that exists for the entire length of the tournament.

At the end of the quests and before the start the new quests there will be a post made that will discuss the general state of world affairs as it affects the plot. There can be large-scale changes, such as political, civil wars, wars, peace, discover of ancient ruins. These changes will affect the new quests and will purposely be made to affect your characters as an add level of detail for the plot.

The quests will grow more important and began to affect the world in larger ways as the rounds progress. The intention is to make the tournament feel like a role-play as it progresses from the beginning to its eventual end with a showdown against whatever there is waiting. That said, the final quest would be the final showdown against whoever is at the end.

Additions

In the time of originally writing this I have come up with some modifications to try to address certain issues that might come up with the quests. The most important change that I am making is that each quest will have a required boss to defeat or attempt to defeat. Sort of like a FF game or other RPG. You will have to go through whatever trials to reach your goal and then at the end you will have to face some final challenge.

At the start of the quest you will be given the background information to go on, your goal and the boss that you have to fight at the end along with any special attacks or traits it has. But remember that beating the boss does not mean you necessarily met your goal. It is still up to you to decide if you want to win or lose and how you go about that, you will be judge on your posts, not of your victory or lose. Though do remember that depending on your outcome will affect how the story continues and advances. The boss is all up to you to play and control, I will handle out the specifics on what it is, but after that I will let you have fun with it.

There may be times during the quest that I will relate world events that will happen. These may or may not affect your quest, but they will change what is happening and thus provide you with more information to your goals. I will create a separate thread for these events if they are to happen, so keep an eye out of them in the forum section for the tournament.

At the end of the quest there will be an update of current events. This will simply be a post of everyone’s quest and how it affected the world. It will also introduce new parts that will be the lead into the next round of quests. Expect the initial quests to seem simple, but to actually hold more meaning than realized and to eventually increase in importance as the rounds go until everything meets at a head and you facing down against the “final boss.” I will in a way act as the DM, Dungeon Master, for the Tournament relaying changes and important things that happen as you go about your journey.

If you have questions about the information provided or your quest please send me a PM as each quest will be individualized, so it will be important to keep additional information private until the end of the round. If it is general question please feel free to ask in the forum.

Character Profiles

I repeat; each character needs to be original and unique to the tournament. No characters from previous tournaments will be allowed. If you bring a character back from a previous tournament, before the tournament starts you will be required to create a new one or not be allowed to participate.

Character profiles will not be requested until the tournament’s background and current state of affairs in the world has been announced.

Name
Height (Optional)
Eye Color (Optional)
Hair Color (Optional)
Affiliation (This will be depended on the tournament’s plot)
Appearance
Weapons/Equipment (Variable on the time period)
Background/History (Most important part, this provides yourself and others will the necessary information to know how to interact with your character. So be as detailed as you can. If there are necessary mysteries in the character due to plot points you wish to work with that is acceptable. This is a role-play, so keep the direction of your character in mind.)
Additional information that you wish to add is welcome. Depending on the tournament more might be added if it is required.

Judging

All players will be judged on the followed criteria.
Writing Skill – This means specifically your grammar, sentence structure, spelling, etc. It is not horribly important that everything is perfect, but if it is hard to understand and read then you are hurting the writing more than helping it. Do not let it weigh you down, but do strive to catch everything that you can, write, read, proof, edit, proof, and edit. Just do not bog yourself down in too much proofing.
Story – One of the most important parts to the role-play is the creation of the story, while it might be a vague notion; how you build the plot will be the most important factor. Remember victory is not a requirement; you can fail your quest. As long as you finish the quest, outcome is not important, it is the manner of going about it.
Development – Specifically, this will be how you mold the story for the quest and your character. It is how you advance with what you are given and could be considered a part of story, but it is important sub section of story that it is separated.
Description – The details you put into the environment, actions, and the surrounding actions. Remember that writing is not simply an action and your finish; it is how you go about that actions, the pains and joys. It is the smells, sights, sounds that fill the world around you, do not forget that there is a world out there further than the next step of your character.
Integration – How you work with the others in the group and how you bring all of the elements from your character, their character(s) and the provided details from the tournament story. It is important to not forget that there is more than just you out there. This might be a tournament to see who is the best, but being the best in a RP means you can work together and not against each other. You can still be a villain and work with people, it just happens in a different way. This is a RP, not a RPB, you are not fighting tooth and nail for the goal you are a group trying to reach the other (your characters just might have different views of reaching it).
Flow – This is as it sounds, how the sentences and paragraph move together with each other. I hate to say it in the definition, but it is how the post flows while you are reading through it.
Creativity – It is important that it does not feel too stereotyped or usual, give it your own flair and let the words dance on the paper. Creativity is vital to having a post that stands out from the others. This also will include everything that you create in addition to the pre-existing elements that were provided. Remember that is a role-play, I might provide you with the foundation, but I want you to build a strong house out of that foundation. So go and create other things that did not exist before, this is your canvas to paint on do with it as you wish.