Thread: At last, Screenshot comparisons!

Our Hopes and Expectations At last, Screenshot comparisons! Ernest's Avatar

At last, Screenshot comparisons!

Ladies and gents. I didn't see a thread about it, so I'll run over the story quickly.

Recently SquareEnix came under fire for releasing screenshots of the Xbox 360 and PS3's version of Final Fantasy XIII. The problem with this is that both screenshots were actually identical, taken from the PS3.

The control buttons that were shown onscreen in the screenshot (it was a battle screenshot, showing buttons to press) had been photoshopped. SquareEnix released a statement apologising, saying they "put up the wrong photo" and that they are trying to find out what happened.

A couple of days ago, Square Enix released new screenshots for the Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII via their press kit. It was soon discovered that the images were actually altered versions of the Playstation 3 screens. Square Enix has issued an official statement on this controversy (via Kotaku):

Unfortunately we did mistakenly include screenshots taken for pre-production (non-promotional use only) in our latest release of assets. Screenshots from the final game intended for the press kit will be released shortly. As shown in our recent demo tour and Microsoft's X10 event, there is no material difference between the two consoles.

Final Fantasy XIII is set to launch on March 9th for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

Since the game was announced as a Multi-Platform, SquareEnix have continuously denied claims that the PS3 will have superior graphics. Hence, this ridiculous, underhand stunt. Even at the end of that statement, they insist they are the same.

Ladies and gents, here are the screenshots for the two systems, that supposedly bear no material difference.
    Last edited by Ernest; 02-21-2010 at 06:39 PM.
    ____Ernest

Registered User At last, Screenshot comparisons!

Re: At last, Screenshot comparisons!

Yeah, the PS3 version has more clarity, but honestly, I don't think the 360 version looks all that bad. Don't really know why a lot of people would be up in arms about it though, or why SE was really pressing the matter that there wouldn't be much difference graphically between the two.

Pretty sure that once people start playing the game and get into the story, that graphics would be the last thing on thier mind, unless it's not, and then that's just sad.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Ellipsis At last, Screenshot comparisons! Meigumi's Avatar
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

.....That's magical. D8 It feels like more of a movie than a game.

BUT BUT BUT BUT it has movie qualities, and it's a game. D8

I am so looking forward to the 360 version. owo
    .....And I also stole that cupcake.

TFF Family~:

Ice-cream loving brother Fate
    The great benevolent dark lord Elyon Demidias
    Lovable doll ViviMasterMage
    Soul Stealing, Chaos-loving, Pom-pom eating older brother Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus
    The Awesome and Dashing Thief, ethan
    The Stealthy Swordsman of Poetic Power, genome's blade

Gunblade wielder At last, Screenshot comparisons! Nunubx's Avatar

Yeah, like Dodie said, the PS3 version seems to be a bit more clear then the 360 version but other than that, they both look the same even though the graphics whores will blow this WAY out of proportion.
    "This is my story. It'll go the way I want it... or I'll end it here."-Tidus

“You are who you are. Believe in yourself.“-Bartz

The Old Skool Warrior At last, Screenshot comparisons! LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I look at it this way.

For years, the game was slated to be a PS3 exclusive. Any time a game goes from exclusivity into multi-platform, the "second" version always takes a hit in quality. We all know that the 360 doesn't have the hardware of the PS3, so if that means taking a slight hit, then so be it. The 360 version doesn't look bad, but when you pull them up side-by-side like that, you can definitely see the difference. I don't think anyone will notice once the gameplay gets moving, like Dodie said.

Look at recent releases which suffered the same fate.

Bayonetta was originally a 360 exclusive - when Sega ported it to the PS3, it took a major hit in performance. Graphically, it's a little smoother on 360 (not quite to the effect of those screenshots above), but as far as the performance goes, it's MUCH better on the 360 than it is on the PS3. I can say this without hesitation because I own a copy on each system.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Our Hopes and Expectations At last, Screenshot comparisons! Ernest's Avatar

I agree with you guys that of all the games where graphics matter, Final Fantasy XIII is the least. Im merely amused by Square's insecurity as a company and their penchant for being a little underhand.

http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/.../ff13xbox5.jpg

That's probably the worst photo from the 360.

The point of this thread is that there are many people that own both systems. Its a directive for which to get it for.
    Last edited by Ernest; 02-21-2010 at 06:45 PM.
    ____Ernest

The Bad Boy of TFF At last, Screenshot comparisons! Block's Avatar

PS3 for life! I couldn't handle playing a fantastic JRPG series on anything other than a Japanese machine. That's all there is to say about that.

OK I lied. The 360 version looks like tripe. It looks that bad in a condensed screen on some website it's gonna look even worse on a big TV in your living room. Sorry 360 owners

Che

The problem is, everyone expected it to come out on PS3. Then they pushed the date back months because of it being ported to 360. That's the ****ing problem.

edit: you can also clearly see the PS3 version is quite better.
    Last edited by Che; 02-21-2010 at 09:18 PM.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Looks like someone hit the contrast in PS3 comparing the two pics centred on Snow.
    I do expect the PS3 version to look better, especially in cinematics, but I think I'll compare both versions on the same displays when I get my copies before I decide just how much better the PS3 version ends up looking.
    victoria aut mors

Moseychuk

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    Yeah, the PS3 version has more clarity, but honestly, I don't think the 360 version looks all that bad. Don't really know why a lot of people would be up in arms about it though, or why SE was really pressing the matter that there wouldn't be much difference graphically between the two.

Pretty sure that once people start playing the game and get into the story, that graphics would be the last thing on thier mind, unless it's not, and then that's just sad.
    You're Absolutely Right