Thread: In-game References

Tsuna Feesh In-game References Fate's Avatar

In-game References

Andromeda's one post gave me an idea. =D Just post here any references--direct or indirect--that you encounter throughout the game, to the other of the series or whatever. Just, anything that could be a spoiler, please box it. =S

I think Lindblum was mentioned; it was the city in Final Fantasy IX. And also, I think that the Nautilus was that one blue ship in Final Fantasy IX, wasn't it? I can't remember. Oh, and the dome-shaped thing in Bodhum kind of reminded me of the one in Luca in Final Fantasy X, but not that much. However, one thing that strikes a resemblance to me was the bridge that Serah was standing on in Bodhum. For some reason, that whole beach thing with the bridge sticking out and all (though it may be common), really reminded me of Destiny Islands from the Kingdom Hearts series.

Anyway, I'd love to see any ones I'd missed.

Curiosity Conquers, So Click:

*Yesha*; -Balthier-; Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus; Azuteor; Black Waltz; Clint Eastwood; Dark Angel; Dodie16; ethan; Flaming Ragnarok; Insufficient Mage; Kilala; LIGHTNING_71013; Lunasa; Mallick; Meigumi; Messiah; Padraic; PurpleDiamond; RamesesII; Shiru; Silver; Unknown Entity; ViviMasterMage; winterborn86

If you'd like a place in my family, be sure to ask me~! ^ ~

Registered User In-game References

Re: In-game References

I think the city of Palumpolum is supposed to be somewhat of a reference to Palom and Porom from FF IV. When I first heard the city's name though, those two were the ones that came to my mind. There's also the airship The Palamecia, which was the empire in FF II.

That's all the ones that I came across that weren't listed in the OP. Of course, I haven't quite finished the game, so there could be more.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

The Quiet One In-game References Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's also the ProudClod which is a boss from FFVII a long mecha that I think Scarlet and the other guy piloted to fight you. It is also a boss in FFXIII. Though there is no bwuahaha and mwuahaha piloting it.

Spoiler:
    I mention this before, but the entire first half of the game is sort of like a indirect reference to how FFVII played out in Midgar.

There's a Gilgamesh shop as I'm told, but I haven't unlocked it. It sells a lot of awesome weapons. Who would have guess? >.>

I'd guess there's probably a reference to each of the FF games if we look hard enough. I think they did it on purpose to make little nods to the past games. Plus it is pretty cool as fans when you discover them. I know I smiled seeing Lindblum displayed across the screen.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    I think the city of Palumpolum is supposed to be somewhat of a reference to Palom and Porom from FF IV.
    Oh, I never thought of that. xD I wondered the strange name, though. Also, I believe Hope's Crystarium crystal looks like the Final Fantasy IX crystal, if I'm not mistaken. Also, a direct reference to itself, but it you look at the necklaces that Snow bought for Serah and himself, they resemble the game's own logo, without the spirit-esque figure. =3

And also, I smiled when I saw Lindblum at first, too, since IX was one of my favorites, and it brought back memories of that game. =)

*Yesha*; -Balthier-; Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus; Azuteor; Black Waltz; Clint Eastwood; Dark Angel; Dodie16; ethan; Flaming Ragnarok; Insufficient Mage; Kilala; LIGHTNING_71013; Lunasa; Mallick; Meigumi; Messiah; Padraic; PurpleDiamond; RamesesII; Shiru; Silver; Unknown Entity; ViviMasterMage; winterborn86

Blog Entries

Spoiler:
    Actually, the game's logo will make sense to you once you've completed the game. I can't say more than that since even saying that might be considered a bit of a spoiler.

I think that their necklaces are more just a shape of what cocoon looks like. Which is probably a bit of a symbol or something to them. Though it could be coincidental, since I don't even know if anyone in Cocoon knows what their home looks like from the outside.

SPOILER!!:
    I recall saying that FFXIII is like FFVII, Andro's first spoiler proves my point.

Also it's the Blue Narciss
    Last edited by loaf; 03-15-2010 at 01:05 AM.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Rabanastran In-game References Belugn's Avatar

@Dodie: Yes I love Palumpolum = Palom and Porum. References like that just makes me smile.

It was perhaps not intentional but there was a boss somewhere that brought me back to the second sanctum keeper boss fight in FFX. The large orange one using tail hammer. But it was probably just because it was orange and used a similar attack...

This ain't no place for no hero In-game References Tiffany's Avatar

Its not "FF" but still by the makers of Square, but you can get a pole called the Gae Bolg, which is the name of David's Remnant in The Last Remnant.

At least, that's how I know it. Not sure if Gae Bolg appears elsewhere in the FF series.

.............. In-game References smurphy's Avatar

I also remember that in FF VIII there was a shop in Dollet called the "Nautilus". Its the one across from the car that gets crushed by the 6 legged robot that chases Squall.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

Rabanastran In-game References Belugn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    Its not "FF" but still by the makers of Square, but you can get a pole called the Gae Bolg, which is the name of David's Remnant in The Last Remnant.

At least, that's how I know it. Not sure if Gae Bolg appears elsewhere in the FF series.
    The Gae Bolg also appears in FFTA series. It might appear elsewise as well, but of that I'm not very certain.
    "I don't think I have what it takes to make a good action game. I think I'm better at telling a story."
    Hironobu Sakaguchi

Che

Quote Originally Posted by Belugn View Post
    The Gae Bolg also appears in FFTA series. It might appear elsewise as well, but of that I'm not very certain.
    It's a lance in FFXI as well.

Blog Entries

When you first start the game and it plays that opening montage thing, you'll see a group of those wolfoid things running, it looks very similar to VII's end with Nanaki and his pups. Same perspective, that is. Also,
    Spoiler:
    Fang rescuing the party with Bahamut

wasn't unlike the Valefor scene in X.

Perhaps not direct references, but the similarities in those scenes is definitely not a coincidence.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Speaking of Valefor, when they had the summons in the parade in Nautilus, I noticed one that resembled Valefor but I couldn't tell if that was him or not. There was Carbuncle (the green, clown-looking one), Siren (with the harp), Ifrit (the 'evil' l'Cie), and the bird that the 'good l'Cie' becomes. Don't know if it's just me, though. He looked different, but similar at the same time. =3 Hahaha.

Oh, and @ Loaf: Oh, yeah, I remember the Blue Narciss now! XD I think Nautilus may have been an airship?

Fate someone already told you where Nautilus is from. No no airship was called that lol.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Blog Entries

One of Lightning's end of battle quotes is "that's how it's done", which is exactly what Auron would say in X.

The enemy in the Defender of the Flock mission so should have been a Chocobo Eater. XD

~DragonHeart~

Blog Entries

There is a place in Cocoon called Eden, which was a GF from FFVIII. Also from FFVIII is the Lionheart gunblade that Lightning can equip.

The ultimate weapon that Vanille can get is the Nirvana which was Yuna's ultimate weapon from FFX.

Lionheart's upgrade is the Ultima Weapon, which I know what a weapon that Zidane had as his strong weapon I think. Not to mention the fact that Ultima and Omega Weapon have been used as end game bosses in several FF games in some form of the name.

Vanille has Full Cure which was an ability that Selphie had if I remember right.

Fang's ultimate weapon is called Kain's Lance, which I think is referring to FFIV's Dragoon character Kain.

Snow's ultimate weapon is Save the Queen which is the name of a sword that Steiner can use in FFIX.

One of Hope's weapon is called the Simurgh which is a HNM from FFXI and one of Lightning's weapons is the Durandal which is the best purchasable weapon that a Paladin can use in FFXI.

I feel epic... In-game References Ralz's Avatar
    Apparently, I've died and gone to Game Heaven. Later, losers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    I think the city of Palumpolum is supposed to be somewhat of a reference to Palom and Porom from FF IV. When I first heard the city's name though, those two were the ones that came to my mind.
    Exactly what I thought. The name was way too similar.

Being at Gran Pulse, I can't help but be reminded of the Calm Lands from FFX. Vast, tough enemies, good grinding spot. The only difference is where the Calm Lands were large and expansive, Gran Pulse is VERY large and VERY expansive. o_O

There are also plenty of gameplay nods. Plenty of the weapons have names we've come to know. (I looked on a FAQ, and apparently Lightning finds a Lionheart. Go figure, with her gunblade theme and all.)

Spoiler:
    Concerning the story, about Chapter Nine onwards...

The story also resembles FFX. In that game, one of your party members had to become the enemy of the world in order to save it. In this game, its basically the same thing, only they must destroy it. I noticed that when Dysley was talking about how someone must become Ragnarok and destroy Cocoon.

Well, I hope Chapter 11 is far in the game. Seems like it, after all that's happened. I'll look for more referneces.

I'm going through a bit of a The World Ends With You phase right now.
    Click THERE:
    TFF Family:
    Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus CecilGod1994 Flaming Ragnarok Shadow of Darkness Dark Angel Kilala Sato Arashi RagnaToad RamesesII IceColdPillow Kisaragi^^ Elyon Seraphim Shiru MILK Vince Kisuke Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima ethan

Blog Entries

And in Eden are the Leviathan Plaza, Siren Park and Ramuh Interchange.

Fang's Highwind attack has a long association with dragoons, both in name and the ability itself.

One of Fang's lances upgrades to the Venus Gospel, the same name as Aeris' ultimate weapon.

~DragonHeart~
    Last edited by DragonHeart; 03-22-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Registered User In-game References

Originally Posted by DragonHeart
    One of Fang's lances upgrades to the Venus Gospel, the same name as Aeris' ultimate weapon.
    Venus Gospel was the name of Cid's ultimate weapon. It's still cool though, because both Fang and Cid are considered to be sort of Dragoon-type characters, right?

I haven't come across any more references that haven't been mentioned already.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Blog Entries

I had the right game, at least. >_> Hard to keep 'em all straight sometimes.

Not an FF reference but I just found out that the final Cei'th mission mark is named after a Gaul chieftain who tried to revolt against the Romans.

~DragonHeart~

Paladin In-game References Voltaire Adams's Avatar

Don't leave out how most of the fal'cie are named after old summons...even some obscure ones like Kujata and Bismarck.

Sadly...no Biggs and Wedge anywhere I found.
    This is my signature. It's not good now, but later on it might be. Who can say...

...can you?