Thread: What do you expect in a storyline in the FF games?

Let darkness overshadow the light.. What do you expect in a storyline in the FF games? Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

What do you expect in a storyline in the FF games?

As in, what do you want and what do you feel is too common and stuff like that.

I expect a slight to heavy romantic theme, a rebel feel, and a sense of overpowerment... I mean really, how is selphie stronger than the next Seed?

Your pathetic existence will shut down. I will make your lives end in ruin. Fear me, as you fear death. Not a threat, not a promise, but what must be finished. 7 final arcs...

Resident Saint Seiya fanboy What do you expect in a storyline in the FF games? Leon's Avatar
    Anywhere I want to live. Wonderful, is it not?
    Blog Entries

Re: What do you expect in a storyline in the FF games?

Well, I like a good mixture of fun and story. And while a great battle system, side quests, and great items seem to define a game, if it doesn't have a good story (or hardly any story at all) I'm not playing it.

This brings back memories of when I played an online game, and I hope I never come across something with a bad story ever again.
    Please read the poetry from two great friends of mine. May they find peace.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    ~St. Augustine

Hmmm...what do I expect huh.

Well, I expect it has to involve some sort of romance at least at some point in the story, either hinted at or physical. There's gotta be a Cid and an airship somewhere in there too. I also expect that the guy who is crowned the villain at the beginning of the game is not the ultimate bad guy, although I don't really like them rehashing that idea over and over again. Also, when everything is fine and dandy, something will ALWAYS go wrong. The good guys will have the upper hand and then, BOOM, bad guy pulls a trump card out of his butt, but the good guys always find someway to power through it.

I don't really mind the overpowering of characters, as long as it's consistent. Commoners wouldn't need that stuff, 'cause they weren't trained, but the main character usually are when you think about it.

As far as gameplay is concerned, I expect something new, maybe even experimental, and I'm fine with that. It can be something familiar, such as the ATB system, but there's a good chance Square Enix will mix it up a little. Even FF IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, and IX, which all used the ATB system, had different ways to power your characters up.
    Fantasies completed:
    I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII

Death Before Dishonor What do you expect in a storyline in the FF games? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A FF storyline is pretty simple for me.

A bit of romance, a little rebellion, some violence, betrayal. Mix em' together, and then you have one hell of a game.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Certified tech, come at me! What do you expect in a storyline in the FF games? SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is what I expect from a good series like this. To start, I expect them to have some sort of turn-based system with some variety on how you can power up your characters, abilities and what not.

- I expect a good cast of characters with an involving storyline.

- A good soundtrack that is pleasing to listen to everytime.

- An appearence of a character or monster thats a staple in the series.

- Characters that are not girly like and don't mope most of the game.

- A feature where the game has multiple endings NOT multiple series of a game trying to explain one game (i'm looking at you FFVII).

- Fun, challenging sidequests that hold decent events and items.

- Replay value where the storyline is something that everyone would want to re-experience over and over instead of a 1 time event and leave the disc or cartridge to collect dust.
    Currently Playing:

A long epic story spanning many many hours of gameplay. Not all of it needs to be spoon fed to you, you might only realize something on your 2nd or 3rd playthrough.

A romantic story between the main character and someone (its makes every FF game more enjoyable it really does).

A small band of heroes opposing a greater good, but there's still time to explore the world and do side quests and find out about characters back story.

I would pay $200 for a good final fantasy game like FF7 or FF8 or FF9. FFX was really great too but its starting to go down hill :[

Soooo hoping they dont ruin the FF franchise its such a massive part of my childhood.

Scourge of Esthar What do you expect in a storyline in the FF games? CrazedMonkey's Avatar

I like there to be something of a romantic tone to the story, one that isn't cheesy though. FF8 has been my favorite since I first picked up the series. There were a lot of complaints that despite the fact that the romance was such a big part of the story no one ever said "i love you". Thing is, that's why it was so good. FF8 is a rare occasion where the writers can get those feelings across without having to actually say it. It was there, everyone knew it, but saying it out loud would've ruined the moments. Squall is not good with words, we all know it's true. So suddenly having say that would've just sounded wierd. Romance gives the characters relatable quality, it brings out a side of them we may never see otherwise, but it can't be allowed to completely overrun everything else either, or there's no point in anyone else being there.
    You'll have your reward for finding me, and don't think of running off without collecting. My shot is faster, or my names not Balthier.