Thread: What console do you like to use to play the Final Fantasy series.....?

What console do you like to use to play the Final Fantasy series.....?

Hey everyone! I hope this thread finds you well. I am a huge fan of the Final Fantasy video games, they are fantastic and so much fun! Always a great time. Here's my problem - I am in the market to replay most of the available Final Fantasy games (I have never played part 11 and then on), but am torn as to what console to play them on. I had Final Fantasy VI and VI on my SNES, but don't have that console anymore. I have parts 1-10 (aside from part 3) on Playstation, and Final Fantasy IV on GBA. I was poking around the Steam website and found a bunch of Final Fantasy games there, which might be an OK avenue to take. Each console has their own "version". Anyway, long story short, I am asking everyone on this forum as to which version of the Final Fantasy games do you enjoy and recommend? Which version do you think is "best"? I know the term "best" is a loaded one, because everyone has their own unique opinion, but I would love to hear about them!! Thanks so much, everyone!

Consistently Average What console do you like to use to play the Final Fantasy series.....? Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For eases sake I'd probably say get what you can on steam, I'm pretty sure they're all the latest versions of the games, and I'm pretty sure it's got most of the older titles.

But if we're making a list here I'd go with:
    . I and II - PSP
    . III - DS
    . IV - DS or GBA
    . V and VI - GBA
    . VII, VIII, IX - PS1
    . X - PS2: we have the PAL version over here which has all the Dark Aeons and stuff, although I'm pretty sure the ps4 version has skippable cut scenes.
    . XII - I think the ps2 and ps4 versions are equally viable. I like a lot of the additions and changes the International version added but there's a lot of cool things about the original that warrants playing it too.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

Console of choice...?

It would be very, very convenient if I could just go on Steam and purchase them there. But I wanted to check with other players to see their console of choice. I have a GBA but the screen is so small! MY 3DS needs a new battery too. I am just trying to see what everyone thinks.

~ AUTO-MERGED POSTS ~

I am hoping other forum members will give their two cents on this topic. If Steam is the way to go, then that's fantastic!

Bananarama What console do you like to use to play the Final Fantasy series.....? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like playing the original games, or the closest version to the originals that I have. I didn't have Nintendo systems growing up (Sega and PS), so I didn't get to play I-VI on Nintendo systems. I picked up FF Origins, Anthology and Chronicles for the PS1.

I've played the rest, except for XI and XIV on their original systems. I've never had any interest in the MMORPG style, so I never bothered with those.

I may have to go to Steam or something for FFIII, which I briefly tried on an emulator before it got corrupted and I said screw it.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

So should I go with the Steam version of the released Final Fantasy games? I know there are quite a few versions out there, and am looking for the best rendition for the most gameplay and satisfaction.

#LOCKE4GOD What console do you like to use to play the Final Fantasy series.....? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There are too many to generlise. You probably can't play most of them on the original consoles anymore, unless you want to shell out for a working older console, and hook it up to a working older TV (nothing like squinting at the fuzzy CRT monitor for that authentic FFVIII experience).

I still have a PS2, but it's in a box. I have a PS3, and the FFX PS3 version, but I don't know why I bought it since I've literally never opened it. The PSN versions of the PS1 games are good. I'm a sucker for a real controller over a keyboard. I have a few of them on Steam as well... and the really old ones I've emulated with RetroArch. It's fun to speed them up.

I think the only one I would struggle to play these days is FFXII, since I'm unable to emulate it, don't have a PS4, and can't be bothered getting the PS2 out of its box.

A PS Vita is pretty good to play these on. Portable, but not with a ludicrously tiny screen.

I think you are correct on the notion that there are so many Final Fantasy titles out there! A very good observation. I don't have my SNES anymore - long gone - but I do have my PS1 that has Final Fantasy I through IX, but I don't even know if the analog/component jacks on my current Smart TV still work! I haven't touched those games - in fact, the only consoles (aside from my PC, if that counts) that I have touched in a while are my PS3 and PS4. MY GBA has an impossibly small screen, so I haven't played that in a long time. I wouldn't mind purchasing the Final Fantasy games off of Steam, it would be convenient and easy. I am just trying to see the opinions of other Final Fantasy gamers and see what my options are.

Bananarama What console do you like to use to play the Final Fantasy series.....? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well you can play your PS1 games on your PS3 if that makes it easier. It might be a little less authentic because you won't have to worry about memory cards, but it's still pretty sweet.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

I didn't know that the PS3 can play PS1 games! Can it play PS2 games as well? I am debating on going that route or simply purchasing the Final Fantasy games off of Steam. The Steam versions have better graphics, but cost about $15 per game.

Blog Entries
    Nope, only the PS2 can play PS2 games. The PS4 can't play older generation games either. The PS3 play 1 and 3 games. It's rumored that the PS5 will be fully backwards compatible.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

I spoke to my coworker about the PS3 backwards-compatibility, he said that only certain versions of PS3 play PS1 games. Which make sesne, I have a Wii that played Gamecube games, but again, only certain versions of Wii play Gamecube games.

Quote Originally Posted by NeveroddoreveN View Post
    I spoke to my coworker about the PS3 backwards-compatibility, he said that only certain versions of PS3 play PS1 games. Which make sesne, I have a Wii that played Gamecube games, but again, only certain versions of Wii play Gamecube games.
    It was in the original for sure, they likely had to remove it for the slim model i suspect. I had no idea they did remove it tbh

And i doubt the PS5 will be fully backwards over all generations, i bet its only PS4, possibly PS3..

TFF's Resident Messenger What console do you like to use to play the Final Fantasy series.....? Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No matter which Final Fantasy game you choose to play, I suggest playing the most complete versions available. Such as the Dawn of Souls version for I and II, or the Complete Collection for IV. The more content you have at your fingertips, the more fun/frustration you potentially have. Also, the Apple Store and Google Play have a lot of the older titles as well, so you can always just get them for your phone. That way, you can play on the go!
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

Blog Entries
    I much prefer the originals. Call me a cynic, but I feel like all of the bonus stuff is really a money grab by Squeenix. I understand that the most updated games are what they would have wanted to give us, provided the software and hardware could accommodate what the original intent was, but it feels like they just felt like adding dungeons and extra enemies because they could and knew people would buy it 20 years later, and not because they truly wanted to but couldn't.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN