Thread: Ultimate Final Fantasy Character Tournament

Captain Ultimate Final Fantasy Character Tournament scifi1980's Avatar

Ultimate Final Fantasy Character Tournament

Ive been meaning to join a FF forum for months, but never got around to it. Always had something else distracting me whether it be work, talking on the wrestling forums, or anime forums. Anyway I signed up yesterday and am liking this place alot. Lot's of good topics and it's nice to see that every FF game gets it's dues here. Not just another FF 7 love in.

Recently I came up with a desire to hold the end be all of Final Fantasy character battles. I tried this concept at Animenation but that fell flat. That was when I decided it's high time to run with a Final Fantasy crowd on a FF forum not an Anime forum with passing interest in FF.

I felt inspired enough to start up a single elimination tournament featuring nearly all the main characters of Final Fantasy 1-12 (excluding 11), X-2 and Tactics. Ive seeded the participants so no two people from the same game will face eachother in the first round and just for the sake of arguement im calling the brackets North, East, West and South. Each bracket holds 32 characters!!! So I don't know how long it will take. But im up for it.

Simple rules. One on one single elimination, and the voting increases by 1 with each round so it goes like this:

Round 1: 3 votes
    Round 2: 4 votes
    Round 3: 5 votes
    Round 4: 6 votes
    Round 5: 7 votes
    Round 6: 8 votes
    Round 7: 24 hour vote period

I will refrain from voting and just be a referee. Although I might step in if the tournament stagnates.

Im a rookie at this forum, if it's in the wrong place be my guest and have it moved. I figured that since this is the genral FF section and there seems to be a clump of various FF game topics this one should fit in here there's some other polls here so I wouldn't think it's a big deal. Didn't see a section made specifically for polls/games/battles, but I wouldn't be suprised if im wrong.

Basically who's the best or most popular of the almost entire main cast. Votes can be based on: Best character design, best personality best overall character, best skills, most useful in battle or most powerful. Everybody has their opinion on what makes a character the best so it will be interesting to see how they conflict. So with the ground work in place. Let's get this shindig started!!!

Oh yeah. Almost all the character descriptions are "borrowed from Wikipedia.
    Last edited by scifi1980; 07-04-2009 at 04:58 PM.

Starting off with Match #1 of the Northern Bracket, we have:

Fighter The Knight

Apperance: Final Fantasy 1

Allegiance: Light Warriors

Final Fantasy 1 never had an official main character. It didn't even have names for the characters for that matter. Still, I always considered this guy to be the leader. It's natural to have the dude in the armor with the sword be the leader of the group. The Warrior was ideal for doing the front lines fighting in FF1, he could equip armor and swords and I believe axes aswell. This person becomes immensely powerful once he ascends to Knight and can even learn white magic at that point. My personal favorite of the original game.

Vs

Sephiroth

Appearance: Final Fantasy 7

Allegiance: None, part of the FF rouges gallery

Sephiroth is the game's main antagonist, and is known to be the most powerful member of SOLDIER ever, rising to a prominent rank at an early age. After a traumatic incident in which he learned of what he assumed to be his true origins, he left SOLDIER and indeed civilization altogether with plans to become a god-like power by wounding the Planet with Meteor and absorbing the entirety of the Lifestream sent to heal the damage. He manipulates and tortures Cloud over the course of the game, including killing Aerith at the Forgotten City. Cloud destroys Sephiroth at the end of the game; however, he returns for a short time in the sequel Final Fantasy VII Advent Children where he is reborn through the body of Kadaj and subsequently defeated once again by Cloud. He warns Cloud that he will "Never be a memory".

Sephiroth is also a member of the party for a very short period during a flashback sequence, but is controlled by the computer during combat and the player cannot change his equipment and materia. He is personified by his primary weapon, the powerful Masamune sword which he uses to inflict large amounts of damage.

Starting off with a deusy here.

Warrior/Knight is my favorite FF 1 character but Sephiroth is just too much of an icon from the series to vote against I think. I would have to vote for Sephiroth if I was voting.
    Last edited by scifi1980; 07-04-2009 at 04:58 PM.

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 Ultimate Final Fantasy Character Tournament T.G. Oskar's Avatar
    Hmmm...

For some reason, this seems mostly like an elimination thread (like those pretty popular on the Word Games and Humor subforum), but with a GameFAQs bracket twist.

Instead of having them all lined up, it would be all mains (which is done on the Hero elimination thread, now between Cecil and Terra) and all villains (which is done on the Villain Elimination thread, between Kefka and Ultimecia) However, instead of mostly elimination, it's poll-based, as in GameFAQs again.

Erm...why doesn't it surprise me? Basically, the tourney that you propose is already running, on the right place, with our own twist and separating the heroes from the villains.

In either case, the WG&H forum is clotted with Elimination Threads. And it would be too soon to begin one anew with this length. It can still be moved, though, but the rules have to be pretty clear.

Also, notice how it went on the Elimination threads. Stating the opinion would end on a bit of controversy, specifically when I'm involved
    Delivering scathing wit as a Rogue using Sneak Attack.

Pester me on the Giant in the Playground Forums if you really need me.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

'Tis a shame I can only place names now...:
    Silver, Omnitense, Govinda, Aerif, Meier Link,
    (whatever is the name of) The Stig, Grizzly, Fishie,
    Craven, Spiral Architect, Flash AND Froggie.

Spaces still available. Join today!!

Nomu-baka, this is FAR from over...:

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Hmmm...

For some reason, this seems mostly like an elimination thread (like those pretty popular on the Word Games and Humor subforum), but with a GameFAQs bracket twist.

Instead of having them all lined up, it would be all mains (which is done on the Hero elimination thread, now between Cecil and Terra) and all villains (which is done on the Villain Elimination thread, between Kefka and Ultimecia) However, instead of mostly elimination, it's poll-based, as in GameFAQs again.

Erm...why doesn't it surprise me? Basically, the tourney that you propose is already running, on the right place, with our own twist and separating the heroes from the villains.

In either case, the WG&H forum is clotted with Elimination Threads. And it would be too soon to begin one anew with this length. It can still be moved, though, but the rules have to be pretty clear.

Also, notice how it went on the Elimination threads. Stating the opinion would end on a bit of controversy, specifically when I'm involved

Shall I use the delete thread function then?? It would be proper to put this over at Genral chat under Word Games right???

Im looking at the character elimination threads there and alot of them seem to be for one specific game and it's the "start out with 10 hp and subtract from who you don't like" kind of deal. At the moment im not seeing an exact thread like this. When was the last one done? Also, for future reference. Im having a tough time trying to put up pics in my posts, everytime I try I end up with stupid link posting when all I want is to add a picture for over the character description

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 Ultimate Final Fantasy Character Tournament T.G. Oskar's Avatar
    I'll do you the favor. Of asking someone to move it, though. Can't move it on my own. However, it'll probably need a bit of workout before starting.

As for the current elimination threads about heroes and villains, here's the heroes' thread and here's the villains' thread. They're almost getting over, though. The point is that those are recent, but treated separately. What you'd be doing is essentially a "Vs." thread of every single main hero and villain (a la Dissidia), but in GameFAQs bracket format, but with no polls and a time limit. Which is technically best done under elimination, as in either case it'll work technically under the same circumstances and it allows for early killing (and hence faster rounds).

If you notice a bit further down, after the "quick reply", you'll notice the permissions for each of the forums. You'll quickly notice that the [IMG] tag is turned off; hence, you can't place images over here. Earlier troubles with adding images, so they're forbidden as of late, except on the art section.
    Delivering scathing wit as a Rogue using Sneak Attack.

Pester me on the Giant in the Playground Forums if you really need me.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

'Tis a shame I can only place names now...:
    Silver, Omnitense, Govinda, Aerif, Meier Link,
    (whatever is the name of) The Stig, Grizzly, Fishie,
    Craven, Spiral Architect, Flash AND Froggie.

Spaces still available. Join today!!

Nomu-baka, this is FAR from over...:

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    I'll do you the favor. Of asking someone to move it, though. Can't move it on my own. However, it'll probably need a bit of workout before starting.

As for the current elimination threads about heroes and villains, here's the heroes' thread and here's the villains' thread. They're almost getting over, though. The point is that those are recent, but treated separately. What you'd be doing is essentially a "Vs." thread of every single main hero and villain (a la Dissidia), but in GameFAQs bracket format, but with no polls and a time limit. Which is technically best done under elimination, as in either case it'll work technically under the same circumstances and it allows for early killing (and hence faster rounds).

If you notice a bit further down, after the "quick reply", you'll notice the permissions for each of the forums. You'll quickly notice that the [IMG] tag is turned off; hence, you can't place images over here. Earlier troubles with adding images, so they're forbidden as of late, except on the art section.

Yeah, I was reading in the how to thread and this is what LocoColt04 wrote:

"As far as images go, you will need to host them from another source online. If you are caught attaching an image to a post and then using that in your signature, the attachment will be removed from the forums and you will receive a warning. That's never cool. In order to use an image in your signature, you will have to use IMG Code to display the image, exactly as follows:

[img ]http://image source[/img ]
    (remove the spaces in the image tags)

Anywho, that's how you work with the images. As far as text and other things in your signature, just be sure it's not anything that people would be offended by, and you should be just fine."

Im probably being dense but I don't really understand his post Is he saying that it's illegal to grab free stuff from Google images and use them here? But then he goes on and says you gotta use the old [img ]http://image source[/img] which is what most forums ive been to normally use. Either way when I try it it just drops a link to the image. But what your saying sounds like the images were affecting bandwidth or were people just being stupid and posting obscene stuff, so they shut them down?? Kinda sucks, takes away a bit of the fun not having a picture for each character.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out to the mods for them to tow it over to the chat thread. Just started last night, I don't want a mod getting all snotty at me for "intentionally ignoring what they said" simple rookie mistake. I thought General Chat would of been stuff other than FF.