Thread: Strategy with Summon attacks

Registered User Strategy with Summon attacks Locke4God's Avatar

Strategy with Summon attacks

I generally try to avoid using Summons against big time bosses. I don't know what it is, but I almost feel as though I'm cheating, like I need to feel I knew how to beat him via strategy among the characters. And then of course you don't really need them for most normal enemies, so I don't wind up using Summons much at all. What about you? Do you feel guilty at all using them against bosses? Does it take any fun away? Or do you just blast away? Does it matter which game we're talking about?

I avoid using them on groups of random battles. I find it a waste of mp. I use them in Bosses. In FFVI I don't use them because I forget I can summon them. FFVII I use them usually once. FFVIII I try to avoid all the dmg GFs, I usually use the ones that help the party out, like Cerberus. FFIX I only used them in boss fights and as Garnet mainly, Eiko I mainly was using Holy. FFX I only used for Overdrive and Yuna's overdrive. FFXII, I rarely used them at all.

Registered User Strategy with Summon attacks Yesha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke4God View Post
    What about you? Do you feel guilty at all using them against bosses? Does it take any fun away? Or do you just blast away? Does it matter which game we're talking about?
    First, I don't feeL any guiLt using them, of course.. you're the one who took the time to find them, then you have the rights to use them (except, if you use cheats).. :-)

It doesn't take any fun away.. most of aLL, the animations of summoning are reaLLy great.. aLso.. I Love watching aLL of their moves.. and eLementaL damage (and.. summoning them is aLso, Like.. thinking a strategy to fight.. Like, finding the weaknesses of your enemy, then summoning the most capabLe summon/Esper/GFs/Aeons for it)

For me.. in FF8.. GFs are reaLLy a great use, either their physicaL damage and their abiLity to enhance HP/MP or any other, of your character! and I reaLLy use them most in boss battLes..

FF7, and FFXII.. are the games that I bareLy use any summons/Espers.. I just summon them when I want to see their animation especiaLLy FFXII, since it got the most cooLest moves/deathbLow ever! In my opinion.. in FFVII, aLL characters have a great physicaL damage to the enemies/monsters especiaLLy when they reach LvL. 99 and have gained their most uLtimate weapon, so.. summons are not that important..
    Last edited by Yesha; 09-01-2009 at 05:25 AM.
    CLICK IT! TO SEE MY STUFFS:

Quote for the month:
    “Try harder to succeed.”

What am I Loving right now?:
    YOU!

My Art Thread: http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...ngs-lol-3.html

"HELLO GUYS!"

speaking of FFVIII, I did use those summons a lot, because if you junctioned them to one character, that character was able to use them faster and faster throughout the game. By the end, you could use them almost every turn.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Strategy with Summon attacks Xanatos's Avatar
    What about you? Do you feel guilty at all using them against bosses? Does it take any fun away? Or do you just blast away? Does it matter which game we're talking about?
    Why should I feel guilty? They're put in FF for a reason, you don't need to use them if you don't want to. I personally don't use summons, mainly because they're not really necessary and you can easily finish any opponent without them in most of FF games. I only used summons in two FF games so far. I used Knights of the Round in FF VII to beat bosses and Odin in FF IX to beat regular opponents in Memoria. In FF VIII I didn't used them at all, I mean it's cool that you need to junction them and that they're necessary to make character much stronger but except that they were useless. I summoned every on of them once, just to see the animation.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

@ Xanatos - Not critqueing you, it's totally cool that you didn't use them in 8, but it is funny because using them is such a big part of the storyline with the whole memory thing. Obviously you don't have to, but it does seem odd if you think about it, once they start talking about how using them makes them forget. Agreed though, they weren't thaaaaat useful.

I guess what I was saying initially is that I feel it's more of a challenge to try using them. Esspecially in a game like 10, where Bahamut & Anima can deliver 40-80,000 point damage with their overdrive attacks. I beat a guy like Omega in 3 moves. Wished I didn't have the Aeon crutch to lean on at that point, but I did, so I used it.

Normally I don't use them. I even stopped using them in VIII. There were some games in which I didn't use them at all. xD" For example X. I got all of them, but I never fought using them. I just use them to avoid being killed by Dark Aeons. xP
    VIII is the only one in which I used them all the time - at least at the beginning. It was easier fighting with them, but in the end... it's just a waste of time (you have to wait for 30 seconds because of the scene -.-"). And you have to wait long for them to finally do something.
    Ah well, so my strategy is: Not using summons at all XD

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Strategy with Summon attacks Xanatos's Avatar
    @ Xanatos - Not critqueing you, it's totally cool that you didn't use them in 8, but it is funny because using them is such a big part of the storyline with the whole memory thing.
    I agree with you, that one sentence where they mention that they loose memory because of summon creatures and they never mention it again or anything related was really important part of storyline.
    Last edited by Xanatos; 09-01-2009 at 11:56 AM.

i have ears :) Strategy with Summon attacks Full Life's Avatar
    i rely on summons i cant win a boss battle without them

Aethan Dor Strategy with Summon attacks Jeordam's Avatar

My use of Summons...

changes depending on what's going on.

I've been known to use them during just a random fight. Why? To give me time to jump up and get an ice tea or snack or something. With the whole animation thing going on...and the fact that I don't typically have to do anything...that gives me time.

But other than that, I don't typically use them unless a fight goes bad. A wall falls at the exact wrong time, and takes out my main healer. My fighter gets taken out unexpectedly, or something odd happens, and I just can't risk dying. Think of it as a last resort...if I am using summons, its because I've become despriate. That is totally my fault though. My first time through an FF game, I do without any type of help. I'll look around and explore a bit, but I'm usually there for the story. As such, my characters are typically pretty low in levels, and as such, I'm really scraping, clawing, and fighting my way through every significant battle. Hence, the summons being my last resort.

~Jeordam
    Saving the World since there was a World to Save.

@ Xanatos - Well they mention loosing they're memory more than once. Disk 3 was all about how they'd lost their memory due to summons and that's when they had the trippy flashbacks to how they'd all met much earlier. I mean granted I suppose they could have done that in a round about way, but it was still important. That's why I said it was ironic that you choose not to use them. Smarmy much?

@ Jeordam - I pretty go with the policy you just stated. Although for areas I expect to be super hard, like an optional dungeon with Omega or Weapon at the end, I usually wade in by fighting some of the tougher creatures with a Summon first so I can get a gage for their abilities without sacraficing my own characters right off. Then I switch to no summons.

@ Xanatos - Well they mention loosing they're memory more than once. Disk 3 was all about how they'd lost their memory due to summons and that's when they had the trippy flashbacks to how they'd all met much earlier. I mean granted I suppose they could have done that in a round about way, but it was still important. That's why I said it was ironic that you choose not to use them. Smarmy much?
    Yes there were few flashbacks, and they were remembering the past but if you played the game they only mentioned summon creatures once and never again. And I mean summon creatures, nothing more. There wasn't anything else about them, no additional story just that one sentence. So you're saying that I should use summon creatures because of it, that's just stupid.

Che
    I never reach max level, and usually am too involved in the story and wanting to get to the next part, so I pick and choose my fights and make sure they're quick. I save Summons for bosses because I usually am lagging a few levels short of what I should be. I don't hold anything back on bosses.

@ Che - good point. I do the same, esspecially on a first playthough. I'm worried about the story and getting through it. When I do a replay I'll go back and get all the main weapons and fight the optional bosses and that kind of thing.

I've never quite understood completionists. There are usually a few things in any of these games that I find highly tedious or annoying, and I don't quite get the guy who simply has to finish every little thing there is to do in the game. For me if I don't like doing it, I'm not bowing at the alter of the game programmer and completing some mundane task they decided to throw in there for the hell of it. I will if I want to, but not because I have to see 100% up there.

Registered User Strategy with Summon attacks Yesha's Avatar
    speaking of FFVIII, I did use those summons a lot, because if you junctioned them to one character, that character was able to use them faster and faster throughout the game. By the end, you could use them almost every turn.
    Yes.. and that's caLLed "compatibLe/compatibiLity LeveL".. when one character reaches the max LeveL of compatibiLity.. she/he can summon that faster.. :-)
    CLICK IT! TO SEE MY STUFFS:

Quote for the month:
    “Try harder to succeed.”

What am I Loving right now?:
    YOU!

My Art Thread: http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...ngs-lol-3.html

"HELLO GUYS!"

I used them sometimes in earlier FFS, but most of the time the animations were so long that they got annoying and in the same time you could have dealt a considerable amount of damage with normal attacks/spells.

In FFX I used them mostly for Overkill, rarely more often because they are so slow.
    I made it a habit to switch in Yuna for the final blow with Bahamut to get Overkill and boost his stats.

In FFXII I never use them as they are utterly useless.
    Some of the later ones could have been useful early on, but by the time you get them they are worthless.

speaking of FFVIII, I did use those summons a lot, because if you junctioned them to one character, that character was able to use them faster and faster throughout the game. By the end, you could use them almost very turn.
    They are quickly outperformed by normal attacks and spells and you don't have to tap a button, timing it exactly right to not exactly press at the wrong time and let all the tapping go to waste for mediocre damage.
    The only thing they were really good for in VIII was their abilities and being able to junction.
    @ Xanatos - Not critqueing you, it's totally cool that you didn't use them in 8, but it is funny because using them is such a big part of the storyline with the whole memory thing. Obviously you don't have to, but it does seem odd if you think about it, once they start talking about how using them makes them forget. Agreed though, they weren't thaaaaat useful.
    It's not odd at all. Such game designing flaws, the story revolving around something that's not very useful in actual gameplay, are really common in rpgs.
    Like Trance in FFIX. Sure, it was nice and all, but it was too random to be of real use. It always activated during some meaningless random battle that ended before the trance.

I've been known to use them during just a random fight. Why? To give me time to jump up and get an ice tea or snack or something. With the whole animation thing going on...and the fact that I don't typically have to do anything...that gives me time.
    LMAO
    In FFIX Arc was really strong, but I only used it a handful of times because the friggin animation was over 2 full minutes long. When using it in random battles, it only prolonged them instead of shortening them.

I used summon in FFV because it kinda helped out....in that game they were basically just another type of magic.
    In FFVII I kinda used them a bit...they weren't game-changing though.

FFX was awesome with the Aeons....as far as the way you used them i mean. They also werent game changing but they were fun to play as if I was goofing off in a battle.

and I agree with everyone else here about the Espers in FFXII...wow...big letdown... i liked their look but man were they useless.

The FFXII Esper summon animations and deathblows are awesome.
    There used to be videos on Youtube that showed all of them, but now they're gone and the ones left suck (there is only one which shows several Espers and that has sucky music).

Does anyone per chance still have the old video that had everything?

Death Before Dishonor Strategy with Summon attacks Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Summon are they're to help you so feeling guilt for using them is ridiculous...And I use my summon any time anywhere they are the best I love them....Of course on most FF games im so high leveled summon arent needed but they're there so why not...

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!