Thread: Emphasis on family.

Boxer of the Galaxy Emphasis on family. Rowan's Avatar

Emphasis on family.

The final fantasy series has juggled with countless themes relating to existence, loyalty, betrayal, philosophical, religious, mythical etc, the list goes on. But I was just thinking, I can't recall a final fantasy that I've played that had a strong emphasis on family. Everyone is either an orphan or has little to no mention of blood relatives or family to the point of importance. Is this something that could be incorporated into future final fantasy titles and would you consider it a valued theme that would add more depth meaning into the games?

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Emphasis on family. Xanatos's Avatar
    In a way Final Fantasy VIII deals with family issues, all growing up in one orphanage with Edea and Cid Kramers as their step parents, all those Laguna - Squall hints through out the game... although something more concrete would certainly be new for Final Fantasy franchise. I guess it all depends how it might be incorporated into a game, hopefully not as dull as in Dragon Age II.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Registered User Emphasis on family.

Emphasis on family.

I think this is a fantastic idea! As said its half been touched at but it would be great to see one with a good family history and adventure!
    Take the whole aerith thing in 7 if it was say similar say someone's sister and clouds flash backs where is his sister playing and having a ball and get attached then something was to happen half way through the game.... That would be a heart wrenching bit of gaming!
    Referencing 7 again if avalanche was a family run thing as well... Etc it wouldn't be hard to make one and make it viable! Say shinra ruined and killed the groups parents and the group of brothers/sisters/cousins etc all on a rampage to stop them.... Hmmmm

I like this idea!!!

Chief Inspiring Officer Emphasis on family. Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I agree with Niall_farley, the more people that you care about that get killed off the better! It would make for so much more drama!
    ~I'm sorry I haven't been around very much~

The votes are in for the sketch contest. See who won the epic battle here:
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...12-voting.html

I wouldn't even say that family isn't an important theme in Final Fantasy. It is, actually. In nearly every FF you'll find some family relations.
    As Xanatos said, in VIII it's the orphanage thing. In V you have Galuf and Krile. In VI you have Edgar and Sabin, two brothers whose father died and left his kingdom to them. In XII you have Basch and his evil twin brother (), in XIII (and XIII-2) you have Lightning and Serah... etc. etc.

It would of course be more interesting if there were other relations than brothers/sisters all the time, but I think it's what the person who plays the game can identify with the most.
    Still, I'd be interested in an FF which covers other family relations. :>

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

Emphasis on family.

ix even has some I suppose

Vivi has some family
    As does queena

But nothing that really affects the story MASSIVELY

I want to play a game. Emphasis on family. Zargabaath's Avatar
    Don't forget about Tidus and Jecht. Jecht may have been Sin for a vast majority of the game, but the family dynamic had an affect on Tidus' character from the beginning. Not only in relation to his father but as well as his mother. Then there was Cid and Yuna - uncle and niece. Cid trying to save Yuna from her fate who also is upset with what happened with his sister (Braska's wife) adding another layer to his character and the family aspect.

Let's not forget about Maria & Leon in FF II. A basic relation but the first one in the series; Firion could be included since he became apart of the their family.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Emphasis on family.

And dagger and Cid in ix
    And dagger and mother

Boxer of the Galaxy Emphasis on family. Rowan's Avatar
    Yeah, all that totally went over the top of my head. I guess there is some family themes in final fantasy.