Thread: Is it sad when other FF characters die? (FFIV and V Spoilers)

I will save the world Is it sad when other FF characters die? (FFIV and V Spoilers) Hero without a Name's Avatar

Is it sad when other FF characters die? (FFIV and V Spoilers)

Is it just me or is the only time people were sad at a death in Final Fantasy is when Aeris died. Some people hated her, but most people were sad when she died, including myself , but what about the other people in Final Fantasy. What about Tella? The old mage who cast meteo to avenge his daughter and ended up killing himself, or Gaulf who sacrificed himself to save his friends/granddaughter against X-Death? There r no songs for them.

When I talk about this, I'm not complaining, it's just something that came into my mind one day while I was working and I wanted to bring it up. What do you guys think? Why don't Tella and Garuf get the same attention? It's all truly sad, but they all try for a good purpose, to destroy evil and save the world
    Last edited by Hero without a Name; 08-23-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: told to edit via moderator

"I may save the world, but you'll never know why"

My TFF Family

Judge Magister Brother in Arms: To give peace to the world and look cool doing it

Firefly: Baby cousin To spread joy to all who read the forums

The_Dream_Recluse: Witty brother with a sweet sword

Bailiax: My star stealing sister who lives in the beautiful deep sea.

Chocobo_Lover 17- Sister who is breeding my army of chocobos

Lion Heart: Gunblade hero under our hero clan

#LOCKE4GOD Is it sad when other FF characters die? (FFIV and V Spoilers) Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

re: Is it sad when other FF characters die? (FFIV and V Spoilers)

I thought Galuf dying was incredibly sad. I think you don't hear about as often because a) most series fans haven't played IV or V (especially V, despite it being better), and b) people lack imaginations, so that because Galuf and Tellah died without 'special effects' (for want of a better term), they're more forgettable to fickle minds. Probably.

Although Tellah can get screwed. <3 Galuf.

HRH Albha Is it sad when other FF characters die? (FFIV and V Spoilers) Aerif's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the main reason that Tellah's death is so often ignored is that it is executed so poorly. The original SNES version had a questionable translation with multiple people speaking in each textbox making it hard to read and taking some of the emotion out of the scenes.

They do put on sad music for his death, but Tellah himself says something very brief and falls over - with the music cutting out in less than a minute. The action scene and annoying boss fight following the scene didn't help.

(Start around 6:10)

As for Galuf, I think the scenes are too rushed. They are dramatic and I'd love to see them rendered in 3D, and you do feel sad and sympathetic to Krile. But then less than a minute later she runs outside and gets closure and all of his abillities which almost makes the death redundant. Maybe they should have had a period of time where Krile was in mourning and move the scene where she gains his powers a little bit later, that might have helped make the death more significant. Otherwise it can be seen as just a scene followed by a sprite change.

Banners and Stuff:

˙uɐɔ I ʍouʞ I <- uɐɔ I ssǝnƃ I¿sıɥʇ op I uɐƆ

Last signature update: 02/08/2014

Although Aeris is a sad death. I can care less, I was shocked at Galuf's death, Telleh I had it coming.

Personally, Josef's is the death that I think of first.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

You changed the title but the link still came up as the original great now I know that Tellah dies.

I was sad when Galuf died btw, he kicked ass and in his place you get shitty kirle. I was not pleased. I would have rather had the turtle in my party. Sure the jobs are transferable but it was not the same.

EDIT: God I hate posting from my phone.
    Last edited by GypsyElder; 08-23-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Passing fair judgement Is it sad when other FF characters die? (FFIV and V Spoilers) Judge Magistrate's Avatar

The unsung champions of FF, they don't get the credit they deserve. Actually there are alot of characters that I think deserve more credit than they get.
    None shall escape judgement, all shall fall by my blade.

My TFF family
    EveVanilla
    Firefly-The Greatest Little Sister Ever
    Ruin-My bro working in the military
    Nickness89-My brother from another mother
    angelmarie190515-My mentor and greatest older sister
    A Hero without a Name- My brother in arms
    Raven Zecht-Herald of what is to come
    LadyWinchester-The mistress of light and dark

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

TFF's Resident Messenger Is it sad when other FF characters die? (FFIV and V Spoilers) Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Magistrate View Post
    The unsung champions of FF, they don't get the credit they deserve. Actually there are alot of characters that I think deserve more credit than they get.
    And I think one of those characters is Josef from Final Fantasy II. His story was also retold in the challenge to obtain Ramuh in Final Fantasy IX. I nearly cried when I was playing it. Which was really weird because I was playing it on my GBA. Anyway, what Josef to protect Firion, Maria, and Guy was more than courageous, more than being a hero. I want to be able to protect my friends like that, if need be. I am thinking of playing FFII again, just for the memories.

Back on topic, I have never played the game with Tellah. I have played the one with Galuf, though. His act of bravery was a bit reckless, but he seemed to be wanting to die at that point. He knew he needed to pass the torch to the young ones. I just wish that Krile had been a guy. It would've evened things out. And no, Faris doesn't count because she just dressed as a guy.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

I will save the world Is it sad when other FF characters die? (FFIV and V Spoilers) Hero without a Name's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Elder View Post
    You changed the title but the link still came up as the original great now I know that Tellah dies.

I was sad when Galuf died btw, he kicked ass and in his place you get shitty kirle. I was not pleased. I would have rather had the turtle in my party. Sure the jobs are transferable but it was not the same.

EDIT: God I hate posting from my phone.
    Yeah, I'm sorry about that, I accidently put it up without realizing, people haven't played the game. In acceptance of my apology, please feel free to throw a spoony bard at my head

My TFF Family

Judge Magister Brother in Arms: To give peace to the world and look cool doing it

Re: Is it sad when other FF characters die? (FFIV and V Spoilers)

Tellah and Galuf were old men who had already lived a long, full life. The reason I think Aeris' death is alot more sad is she was still practically a young girl who had her whole life ahead of her. I mean, if I turn on the news and see two people died in an accident or something and one was an old man and the other a 17 year old girl, I'm gonna be more sad and sympathetic for the girl.

Anyway, I think, to me, the next saddest death after Aeris is either General Leo or Queen Brahne.

Leo, because despite the fact he was technically on the "bad side," he knew right from wrong and was an honorable person and finally put his foot down against Kefka and the empire, only to be unmercifully killed.

Brahne because, while I hated her by that point in the game, it was still kind of sad to see because of how if affected Garnet.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy

Up Next: Final Fantasy II

Re: Is it sad when other FF characters die? (FFIV and V Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal~Killer View Post
    Tellah and Galuf were old men who had already lived a long, full life. The reason I think Aeris' death is alot more sad is she was still practically a young girl who had her whole life ahead of her. I mean, if I turn on the news and see two people died in an accident or something and one was an old man and the other a 17 year old girl, I'm gonna be more sad and sympathetic for the girl.

Anyway, I think, to me, the next saddest death after Aeris is either General Leo or Queen Brahne.

Leo, because despite the fact he was technically on the "bad side," he knew right from wrong and was an honorable person and finally put his foot down against Kefka and the empire, only to be unmercifully killed.

Brahne because, while I hated her by that point in the game, it was still kind of sad to see because of how if affected Garnet.
    You raise a good point regarding Aeris and her age, she died too young, unlike Tella and Galuf, they lived their lives and Galuf actually saved the world once before.

I honestly totally forgot about Leo, granted the one FF I know the least about besides II would be VI. Leo was an enemy technically, yet he changed his way once he saw what happened, he was very powerful too, it's a shame what happened to him.

And Brahne, I'll be honest I hated her in the game like a lot, but when she did perish, it was kind of sad because before she passed her true self came back and you felt sympathy towards her despite her past actions.

I think I want to start another thread now. I should call it, which is your favorite final boss to kill and why? Mine would be Kefka, just because he's so damn evil, the man deserved to perish.

My TFF Family