Thread: Remakes worth it or not?

Remakes worth it or not?

So in light of the news about there being a FFX remake on the works for PS3 do people think its worth it? Personally I do!

I've lost faith in the FF franchise since after FFX, it was the last FF I've managed to enjoy and not get bored of but since then the battle system has changed along with the open world play.
    I miss the old school random encounter engine and the turn style battle engine, the old days of getting a stone throw away from a chest only to get thrown into a random battle was annoying but in its own special way. The endless hours of play I had of flying around the FF worlds and exploring various islands.

FFXIII is a prime example of how much FF is changing as the years go on, in the sense that only 1 character (the party leader) is in your control during battle? The fact you're confined into one world where its just endless battle after battle with no sense of searching for anything, and the weapon upgrade system which still baffles me.

A remake of the old school FF would be most welcome I could imagine by most FF fans, I liked FFX but I would of much preferred FFVIII.

TFF's Token Imp Remakes worth it or not? Martin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Remakes worth it or not?

I remember having a long conversation about this not too long ago, and I suppose my stance has softened a little. I'm not completely opposed to the idea because frankly, it wouldn't matter one jot if I was or not. I am looking forward to PSOne classics coming to the Vita in firmware update 1.80, meaning I can play FFVIII on that lovely OLED screen.

I don't get why people bag on the newer ones so much though if I'm honest. I actually commend them for trying something new rather than the tried and tested JRPG formula. I think it's a case of trial and error (for example the linearity or controlling one person) and it's an acquired taste but, you know I can deal.

P.S. Welcome to the forums! You seem like just the kind of person we like here.
    Spoiler:

Care to have a look at my WordPress Journal?

Yeah I get what your saying and I too agree that its nice to see them try and spice it up by changing things, but sometimes change can be bad!

I'm delighted that the FF franchise has gone on for the past 20-25 years and held so strong, but I did feel the battle system was an integral part of the FF games its apart of what they are!

When FFX came out I remember when everyone was raving about how it will become the first FF game to be released onto the 6th gen console along with actual character dialogue, obviously this was a small change but a change for the good, they stuck with the basic way FF operated and it was a success.

But lately when I see games from FFXII onwards they all seem like a typical Square-Enix RPG instead of a FF RPG.

Also I probably think its a coincidence but I only noticed the changes when Square and Enix formed a partnership which was after FFX and before FFXII?

P.S cheers for the welcome, you can't beat Final Fantasy fans!

Mystyrion

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I am looking forward to PSOne classics coming to the Vita in firmware update 1.80, meaning I can play FFVIII on that lovely OLED screen.
    Older games do not scale well on newer TV's.
    Including the vitas OLED screen haha.

I'm seriously saddened by the mura effect on the Vita though

Boxer of the Galaxy Remakes worth it or not? Rowan's Avatar

I'm also excited to have all my FF games on the Vita (mainly 7, 8 and 9) but I think that they will be very pixelated due to the screens native resolution being rather high. Hopefully theres something they can do to incorperate some sort of advanced pixel filtering in the engine that will play the ps1 classics so that it can take advantage of that OLED screen.

TFF's Token Imp Remakes worth it or not? Martin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the reason it's taking so long for that update to come out is simply because they're coming up with a resolution fix, considering it was noted (as above too!) that they look patchy and gross on a HD display. Fingers crossed!

I've not had much of a mura effect on my Vita, maybe I'm not using it enough haha
    Spoiler:

Care to have a look at my WordPress Journal?