Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Never ask why it's called "Final" Fantasy again!

Final fantasy in my opinion is an effective title as at the end of every game there are no outstanding threats to the worlds peace. Therefore it is final in its own way, the end of the threat

thats awesome never knew why it was called final fantasy now i do thanks

In reality, does it really matter what the name is? I mean, by the name being Final Fantasy, it has only one requirement: be a fantasy game. As we have seen by the wide variety of subject matter of the games, such as a form of soccer and football underwater (no breath required!) to ancient castles to airships, it just being known as Final Fantasy is an incrediable smart name.

Never ask why it's called "Final" Fantasy again! L Lawliet's Avatar
    Before I discovered why it has this name I had never even thought about it. After all something called "final" that (fortunatly) has no ending in the near future is kind of weird =P

I first discovered this when watching the FF retrospective at Gametrailers (don't remember the exact episode though). Here is a link for who hasn't watched it, it's well worth the time http://www.gametrailers.com/game/4831.html

Cloud is the key
    I have no clue why people continue to ask why it is called Final Fantasy. It is an awsome series that will continue to grow as long as there are people like us who enjoy being in the company of the new cast and new worlds that Square Enix continues to offer us. It dosen't have to be an actual Final Fantasy. It is an impressive name and I will continue to support it as long as Square Enix continues to give us the new worlds that come with it. As for what Dragonsrus said on it. I find that completley true. Once the threat has been eliminated the "fantasy" ends.
    Last edited by Cloud is the key; 03-26-2008 at 08:50 AM.

Never ask why it's called "Final" Fantasy again! L Lawliet's Avatar
    @Cloud is the key: Some people are just curious and want to know why, there is nothing wrong with that. However I do agree that for people who know it can be boring to be constantly asked the same thing.

Never ask why it's called "Final" Fantasy again! bosola's Avatar
    I've always thought Final Fantasy was a great name for the series, because - with the extra knowledge of why it was called that behind you - it kind of gives you a better appreciation for the series. I mean, for something that was supposed to go out with a bang in 1987, it's done pretty good to survive countless sequels (though, not exactly direct ones...) and over two decades.
    "Ignorant dotard. Have you any idea with whom you are dealing?" ~ Theodor 'Golbez' Harvey, Final Fantasy IV

DANIEL DE BOSOLA
    Born 1476 ~ Died 1513

BOSOLA MK 000008
    Born 1989 ~ Died ____

I feel epic... Never ask why it's called "Final" Fantasy again! Ralz's Avatar
    Apparently, I've died and gone to Game Heaven. Later, losers.
    All in all, Final Fantasy games are a great series. They have such deep storyline, and great battle systems. I'm usually in it for the story. I think they could have thought of no better name than "Final Fantasy."

huh thats interesting i didnt know that. thats kinda funny

Never ask why it's called "Final" Fantasy again! Slick's Avatar
    Does anyone know if Square was going to label a game as part of the FF series but didn't? I understand how there is involvement with games like Vagrant Story, and how the Mana series is a spawn, and that there is characters on KH, but this question would be kind of an underground question you could say.

easyrage

hehe

hehe, I never did think of that "final" thing, that's very cool. Thanx!

Cheers

Crumptroller
    Thank god they thought of a game fast or where would we be without FF
    Playing something else that was like it-Imagine that-
    Very Humourous for a suposed last game

ffruleswoohoo

http://www.bebo.com/ffruleswooooo check out my site plzzzzzz..;/'[[098

Quote Originally Posted by lococolt04 View Post
    you know, we get this question a lot speckled here and there throughout the forums, so i thought i'd do us all a favor and stick a thread with the answer some of you always seem to seek.

Why is it called "final fantasy" when it's not the last one? To quote wikipedia:

Hopefully, that answers your question before you even ask it. It seems we never could answer that question enough times for enough people. :d
    [[text and website removed, user banned]]

Never ask why it's called "Final" Fantasy again! Dark Squall's Avatar
    Believe or not...On earth. Yea I know someone like me is too awesome to live on earth but what can I do?!!!
    Now that a serious question!!
    I think the word "Final" is very powerful word and a cool one too. If it was just Fantasy VII or VIII that will be so lame and so crappy title. So yea, Final Fantasy is a great name for a great serious

Sig(s) made by me

DS Sigs

What is life:
    Life is not like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos! what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Why life is unfair!!!:
    When man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment...When a woman talks dirty to a man it's 3.95$ per a minute!!!

My Mafia family:
    Mona Lisa Overdrive - Self Appointed god
    LoVeLeSs - Freaky Goddaughter
    brnthsdiscout - FF Lovin' sister
    DiaryofJane-Music Loving God Mother
    Unknown Entity - My sister and my right hand in the family
    Silver - Enforcer

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Never ask why it's called "Final" Fantasy again! Treize's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ffruleswoohoo View Post
    check out my site
    Advertising is against the rules...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Squall
    Now that a serious question!!
    I think the word "Final" is very powerful word and a cool one too. If it was just Fantasy VII or VIII that will be so lame and so crappy title. So yea, Final Fantasy is a great name for a great serious
    I agree. The name would be horrible without the word final. Also thanks for posting this LocoColt04. I was always confused about the title before I came here. It is kind of interesting to know.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

This is quite an interesting discovery, I always kinda questioned why it was called "Final Fantasy" I always liked it though so I never really looked too much into it.

Jake: I'm not jumpin off this
    Matt: look a cop
    Jake: WHAT!! *jumps off roof*
    Me: What? There's no Cop!
    Kaza: Mat, SHUTUP!
    Matt: haha!

8/01/10 <3 Ryan Krelle <3

I remember reading about the origin of the name, and it's a very interesting read indeed.

You know what really ticks me off? When people say "If it's the Final Fantasy, why do they keep making more?". When people tell me that, I just look at them and sigh.

I think I'm beginning to understand. An answer from the Planet, the Promised Land...I think I can meet her...there.

sadoode
    Thank you very much

Regards

Rider on the Storm. Never ask why it's called &quot;Final&quot; Fantasy again! sonicisrad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    Final Fantasy was developed during Square's brush with bankruptcy in 1987. In a display of gallows humor, producer/director Hironobu Sakaguchi declared that his final game would be a fantasy RPG, hence the title.

Very Interesting. Now I have a legit answer to give my mates who dislike Final Fantasy very much so on why it is calld Final Fantasy. woohoo!!
    An American Poet

1943 - 1971

~sonicisrad~

thank you for posting this, helped save me the time of finding out... i thought it was called that because every game its the final time for the world to live then you save it lol... guess i was wrong.
    i think i was frozen three years back... but then i remember, thats when i gave up...

I support yuffentine!

Red Mage FTW

Join Greyside - In Hell Rising
    http://www.hellrising.com/group.php?view=Greyside

Tsuna Feesh Never ask why it's called &quot;Final&quot; Fantasy again! Fate's Avatar
    Hmm... this answers all my questions! I've never known this till now!

Curiosity Conquers, So Click:

*Yesha*; -Balthier-; Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus; Azuteor; Black Waltz; Clint Eastwood; Dark Angel; Dodie16; ethan; Flaming Ragnarok; Insufficient Mage; Kilala; LIGHTNING_71013; Lunasa; Mallick; Meigumi; Messiah; Padraic; PurpleDiamond; RamesesII; Shiru; Silver; Unknown Entity; ViviMasterMage; winterborn86

If you'd like a place in my family, be sure to ask me~! ^ ~

Sh*t! I just cast Firaga on myself! Never ask why it's called &quot;Final&quot; Fantasy again! Neo Nagisa's Avatar

Never ending Final Fantasy?

What if Final Fantasy never actually saw a final Final Fantasy? We could all be around 50 and we'd be sitting in front of a 200x500 Plasma screen t.v of the future, playing Final Fantasy XXXIX, on a touchscreen PlayStation 10.

Shake it like a polaroid picture Never ask why it's called &quot;Final&quot; Fantasy again! RagnaToad's Avatar
    I read somewhere that they were gonna rename it "Ultimate Fantasy" somewhere in the process of making the first one, because they saw that it wouldn't actually be the final game of that kind. So they felt like they had to change the name in advance, but they kept it anyway.

Any knowledge on whether this is true?
    Last edited by RagnaToad; 06-02-2009 at 09:03 PM.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

I feel epic... Never ask why it's called &quot;Final&quot; Fantasy again! Ralz's Avatar
    Apparently, I've died and gone to Game Heaven. Later, losers.
    The titles might be misleading, but the story is simple. Square was going out of business, director wanted a fantasy title, since is was their last game before bankruptcy, it was ironically called "Final Fantasy." Just be glad it's not called First Delusion.

I'm going through a bit of a The World Ends With You phase right now.
    Click THERE:
    TFF Family:
    Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus CecilGod1994 Flaming Ragnarok Shadow of Darkness Dark Angel Kilala Sato Arashi RagnaToad RamesesII IceColdPillow Kisaragi^^ Elyon Seraphim Shiru MILK Vince Kisuke Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima ethan

Shake it like a polaroid picture Never ask why it's called &quot;Final&quot; Fantasy again! RagnaToad's Avatar
    I'm not saying I'm confused by the tile or anything (if that was your perception).

I just read somewhere that they had thought about the confusion it could cause. But I guess they figured that RPG players aren't complete dumbasses
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Choo-Choo Bear Never ask why it's called &quot;Final&quot; Fantasy again! Volendral's Avatar
    Wow, I did not know that, and I call myself a fan of Final Fantasy.

As they say, the more you know... *Insert music from the more you know campaign*

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Never ask why it's called &quot;Final&quot; Fantasy again! Xanatos's Avatar
    I have already read this long ago but this is excellent thread for those that didn't know this.
    Anyway great idea LocoColt04.
    Last edited by Xanatos; 06-07-2009 at 06:04 AM.

O Rly? Never ask why it's called &quot;Final&quot; Fantasy again! Arch's Avatar
    I think they are all called "Final" Fantasy because each one has a different story to it and in each one it seems like this would be the "last" or i other words "final" adventure, because the world they live in, everyone and there world is always almost on the brink of extinction and plus "Fantasy Again" or " Another Fantasy" dosent sound as good lol

Arch, Pronounced Ark

TFF Family
    My TFF Family:
    My Brotha! and Best Friend Black Waltz

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Nagisa View Post
    What if Final Fantasy never actually saw a final Final Fantasy? We could all be around 50 and we'd be sitting in front of a 200x500 Plasma screen t.v of the future, playing Final Fantasy XXXIX, on a touchscreen PlayStation 10.
    Very good point neo nvr thought of tht lol

Arch, Pronounced Ark

TFF Family
    My TFF Family:

wow im so informed right now im sorry i didnt read the whole quote Loco..ignore my comments up there i sound ignorant lol

Arch, Pronounced Ark

TFF Family
    My TFF Family:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast