Thread: FF VIII and IX too similar?

FF VIII and IX too similar?

I really enjoy the final fantasy series. But I think that IX and VII were just way too similar. They were both Equally fun. I think they had equal graphics. And were just like doubles. I still get confused between them. It's easy to remember by which one had vivi (my personal favorite Black mage of all FF's) Tell me watcha think.

Yours in Square Enix Fans,
    Forum newbie
    Dapofola

Registered User FF VIII and IX too similar?
    I really don't see where you're going with this...

I hear people say that there are connections to VII in X, but honestly I think this is the first time I ever heard of VII and IX being too similar. I wish you would have elaborated a bit more as to why you thought that they were similar, because to me, they are quite different. Granted, I agree with you about both games being really fun, but you can pick almost any game in the series and say that, but it doesn't really mean that they are too similar...
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Sorry, it was my mistake. I meant VIII and IX

黒い翼の天使 FF VIII and IX too similar? yuki's Avatar
    was this thred been posted again ??

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth FF VIII and IX too similar? Xanatos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dapofola View Post
    I think they had equal graphics.
    Close, but no. It's rather obvious that IX has better graphics although nothing extreme advanced, just more detailed characters, better animations and less pixalized backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    I really don't see where you're going with this...

I hear people say that there are connections to VII in X, but honestly I think this is the first time I ever heard of VII and IX being too similar. I wish you would have elaborated a bit more as to why you thought that they were similar, because to me, they are quite different. Granted, I agree with you about both games being really fun, but you can pick almost any game in the series and say that, but it doesn't really mean that they are too similar...
    And this.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    Close, but no. It's rather obvious that IX has better graphics although nothing extreme advanced, just more detailed characters, better animations and less pixalized backgrounds.

And this.
    Dude, I told you, there was a typo. It was VIII and IX that I meant. VII is outta IX's league

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth FF VIII and IX too similar? Xanatos's Avatar
    Dude, I told you, there was a typo. It was VIII and IX that I meant. VII is outta IX's league
    Yes I know, I actually read the posts and I was referring to FF VIII-IX graphics, is there something unclear.

Registered User FF VIII and IX too similar?
    Posted by dapofola
    VII is outta IX's league
    Oh snap... I think you just put fuel on Xanatos' fire...

As for VIII and IX being similar, I don't really see it here either... IX was more medieval, and VIII was more modern. IX had super-deformed character styles, whereas VIII went with the more realistic character design. Again about the characters, IX had a lot of diversity in the characters (meaning there were different races), and VIII had none (at least in the playable characters). As for story, I don't see any resemblence... There are allusions to VIII in IX, but there's a ton of those in IX. You can see for yourself if you wish to do so:

Final Fantasy IX/Allusions - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research

I still would like to hear how you think that they are similar.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Che
    There is nothing remotely similar about FFVIII and FFIX. They were completley different. FFIX had lighthearted humor, a cast of characters with hope and reason. FFVIII had emo characters, or ditzes.

The story is completely different for obvious reasons.

Nice try? But not really. You suck at life.

It's like saying Football and Ping Pong are similar. Yes they are both sports. The end.

As soon as I saw this topic, my face did this :

I don't see the any super similarities, at all.

Also seeing that FFIX in particular, takes small aspects and parts from most of the FF's before it.

EDIT: Why does the Title say VII? but it's in FFVIII section....
    Last edited by GypsyElder; 12-05-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Blog Entries
    in FF8, you have a bunch of flying academys blowing shit up and having teens go on sekrit clubhouse missions of espionage and assassinations.

In FF9, you have this.

How are those two things even remotely alike? Do they not teach you the concept of analogies in school or what?
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Che
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    in FF8, you have a bunch of flying academys blowing shit up and having teens go on sekrit clubhouse missions of espionage and assassinations.

In FF9, you have this.

How are those two things even remotely alike? Do they not teach you the concept of analogies in school or what?
    Quina is hot.

Sparkly Beanie Baby of Doom! FF VIII and IX too similar? Tallulah's Avatar
    Why would you say they are similar? Personally, I think they are COMPLETELY different; FFVIII being set in a futuristic environment, and FFIX has a more medieval, fantasy setting, with the characterisations of the lead characters, well, you couldn't get more different than Squall and Zidane - they are polar oppisites, with Squall being introverted and reluctant to play the hero, whilst Zidane is a friendly, bubbly guy who just wants to get into the action!

Also, whilst being of a similar quality graphically, they are also quite different. The character design of Final Fantasy VIII was more realistic, whilst IX characters were quirky, and had non-human qualities, such as Zidane's tail and Eiko's horn, or weren't humans at all, more like anthrophomorphic (sp?) real or mythical characters, such as the hippo-and-bird-headed folk in Alexandria, Freya and Quina.

That said, this fun recap refers to the character design of Garnet as "Super Deformed Rinoa". Maybe you're not entirely wrong...

FF VII and IX too similar?

as everyone is probaly aware, square enix is remaking ff vii for ps3. i am a huge ff fan, and was wondering if or when they were gonna remake viii and ix.

Quote Originally Posted by RENA VINSON View Post
    as everyone is probaly aware, square enix is remaking ff vii for ps3. i am a huge ff fan, and was wondering if or when they were gonna remake viii and ix.
    Never.

Only similarity in VIII and IX is that the main character is like 17 lol.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Spectral Patriot FF VIII and IX too similar? Chaos_Weapon's Avatar
    I really enjoy the final fantasy series. But I think that IX and VII were just way too similar. They were both Equally fun. I think they had equal graphics. And were just like doubles. I still get confused between them. It's easy to remember by which one had vivi (my personal favorite Black mage of all FF's) Tell me watcha think.
    He does have a point. When I played IX, it made me wanna play VII from the beginning again. The story was very much similar seeing that Kuja acted very much like Sephiroth. Resembled him a bit too. Zadane and Cloud were very much different though, everyone pretty much knows why. But, didn't IX take place in a time prior to VIIs? The map was laid out the same and for petesake, I think they both had Ozma to fight.

The Spirals of Death Shall Yield to No One...So Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos_Weapon View Post
    He does have a point. When I played IX, it made me wanna play VII from the beginning again. The story was very much similar seeing that Kuja acted very much like Sephiroth. Resembled him a bit too. Zadane and Cloud were very much different though, everyone pretty much knows why. But, didn't IX take place in a time prior to VIIs? The map was laid out the same and for petesake, I think they both had Ozma to fight.
    both did not have Ozma, nor were the world maps similar. FFIX has nothing to do with VII, they're completely different stories. Zidaine and Cloud were not alike in any way, not in personality or appearance. Sephirpth and Kuja are not similar just because the both have long silver hair -_- and equal graphics? not quite.
    Last edited by GypsyElder; 01-14-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Ta DA!!!:

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos_Weapon View Post
    The story was very much similar seeing that Kuja acted very much like Sephiroth. Resembled him a bit too.
    Kuja and Sephiroth are totally different characters, both by personality and appearance, white hair and the role of a villain are the only resemblances between these two.

Similar story? Group of heroes tries to save the world from it's destruction, almost every FF games has this in it's story but that's about it.

But, didn't IX take place in a time prior to VIIs? The map was laid out the same and for petesake, I think they both had Ozma to fight.
    Final Fantasy IX doesn't take place in a time prior to VII, they're completely different games without any connections. The maps were quite different and Ozma makes appearance only in Final Fantasy IX.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Elder View Post
    both did not have Ozama
    Actually Gypsy, you can fight against Ozma in Final Fantasy IX.
    Last edited by Xanatos; 01-14-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post

Actually Gypsy, you can fight against Ozma in Final Fantasy IX.
    Yeah I know, but not both

Ta DA!!!:

From The Clint Eastwood

Registered User FF VIII and IX too similar? Yesha's Avatar
    As everyone said.. No! they're not reaLLy simiLar..!
    CLICK IT! TO SEE MY STUFFS:

Quote for the month:
    “Try harder to succeed.”

What am I Loving right now?:
    YOU!

My Art Thread: http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...ngs-lol-3.html

"HELLO GUYS!"

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RENA VINSON View Post
    I've been hearing rumours of that for years. Is there any decent evidence I've missed? I just find it highly unlikely now as FFVII is on PSN. FFVII and VIII go great together on a PSP...

As far as FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX go, all three are PSX games, all three are FF titles, apart from that they don't have too many similarities barring the usual repeat references that pop up through the better part of the series.

EDIT: Perhaps you could clarify for us in what way they seem similar to you?
    victoria aut mors

Blog Entries
    FF7 and FF9 both have Chocobos! They are so obviously similar its like Cloud and Zidane could be seperated at birth similar.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Blog Entries
    Modified the thread title to halt the confusion, he mentioned the typo in his second post maybe some of the replying member may have missed it.

Honest mistake :3

Carry on~

Spectral Patriot FF VIII and IX too similar? Chaos_Weapon's Avatar
    Well, when I played FF IX, the concept of gameplay compared mainly to FF VIII (graphically), and partially FF VII (how the story excelled). Kinda makes this thread pointless since VII, VII, IX are just about the same in terms of gameplay. Just like I-VI was. X, XI, XII, XIII are (Thankfully) all very different games indeed.

The Spirals of Death Shall Yield to No One...So Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawezy View Post
    Modified the thread title to halt the confusion, he mentioned the typo in his second post maybe some of the replying member may have missed it.

Honest mistake :3

Carry on~
    Nah Dawez we know the typo still no similarities between the 2 lol.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Our Hopes and Expectations FF VIII and IX too similar? Ernest's Avatar

Re: FF VIII and IX too similar?

IX's entire purpose is to visit the roots that VII and VIII had become distanced from. Regardless of the fact that they're two completely different periods, but one game is based around Time Travel, Science and Romance. Whilst one is based on Monarchy, Summoning and Identity Crisis.

Honestly. I don't mean to be blunt, but you could not have chosen two more different games. The only games that I can think of that are kind of similar, are IX and VI. And even then, not a great deal.