Thread: FF characters are always eurasian?

is not a douche FF characters are always eurasian? Bubble Boy's Avatar

FF characters are always eurasian?

You never see a fully Chinese or Japanese looking FF character, they've always got that weird extra European feature added on, like blue colored eyes combined with the asian slant. For instance, Cloud in advent children has an odd "I don't know if I'm really asian" look about him. Is this considered cool in asian culture or something?

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) FF characters are always eurasian? che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: FF characters are always eurasian?

No. They put blue eyes on characters in the engrish versions of the game so noobs like you will buy the game instead of calling it a ching chong game.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Blog Entries

Cloud is from Gaia so technically he is Gaian, not Eurasian. In fact, neither Europe nor Asia exists in those games, so you are wrong, FF characters are not always eurasian. In fact, I can't think of a single game that they are eurasian.

For a real answer: They are made to look asian so they can appeal to the market. It's just like how Jesus looks so white in North American churches; it appeals to the market of soul-saving. If you were to go to a different continent, pictures of Jesus look completely different. The two reasons that SE doesn't change the artwork/graphics for FF games is because 1), it's really expensive, and B), Since NA is considered the second best moneymaker in terms of product placement, AND all north americans have a hard-on fascination with the japanese culture (see weaboos, angel of iniquity, etc), they have no reason to change it. Saves them money and maximizes their profits.

[/businesstalk]
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

is not a douche FF characters are always eurasian? Bubble Boy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    No. They put blue eyes on characters in the engrish versions of the game so noobs like you will buy the game instead of calling it a ching chong game.
    Engrish lol.
    Also, I didn't call it a ching chong game, foo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Cloud is from Gaia so technically he is Gaian, not Eurasian. In fact, neither Europe nor Asia exists in those games, so you are wrong, FF characters are not always eurasian. In fact, I can't think of a single game that they are eurasian.

For a real answer: They are made to look asian so they can appeal to the market. It's just like how Jesus looks so white in North American churches; it appeals to the market of soul-saving. If you were to go to a different continent, pictures of Jesus look completely different. The two reasons that SE doesn't change the artwork/graphics for FF games is because 1), it's really expensive, and B), Since NA is considered the second best moneymaker in terms of product placement, AND all north americans have a hard-on fascination with the japanese culture (see weaboos, angel of iniquity, etc), they have no reason to change it. Saves them money and maximizes their profits.

[/businesstalk]
    Lightning, vanille, and Rinoa are definitely eurasian-looking, Rocky.
    I was mainly focusing on the "appearance" part, not the actual continent where they "came" from. lol thanks.

It's just market appeal, like Rocky said. It doesn't mean that it wouldn't sell as well if the characters were always Asian-looking, it's just a better way to approach the two major markets outside of Asia. And they look hot that way, so it's cool.

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) FF characters are always eurasian? che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    It's just market appeal, like Rocky said. It doesn't mean that it wouldn't sell as well if the characters were always Asian-looking, it's just a better way to approach the two major markets outside of Asia. And they look hot that way, so it's cool.
    OMG you think asian people are ugly unless they have blue eyes!

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    OMG you think asian people are ugly unless they have blue eyes!
    HUH?!
    Asian people are beautiful, I would never think such a thing!

Memento Rhapso FF characters are always eurasian? Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

^This guy.
    The reason he looks Asian is because they based Spira off of the(didn't double check, don't quote me on this) Pacific Rim Islands for this game, so it'd make sense if he looked Asian to fit the part. Pretty much everyone but Lulu fits the part for that theory.

As for other games, I'm not sure. I thought FFV had a lot of German influence? Again, didn't research, don't quote me.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    HUH?!
    Asian people are beautiful, I would never think such a thing!
    Closet yellow fever sufferer?

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Barret's the most Eurasian looking character in any JRPG I've played, so they MUST be going for that look for all characters.
    victoria aut mors

Balaclavas on...let's go shopping!! FF characters are always eurasian? nickness89's Avatar

I think the Eurasian look is alright, the characters look hot, especially the guys ;~)

However, they should have a few Japanese characters, as Japanese guys make my legs tremble x~P
    Favourite Lyric For Now:

"Don't be insecure if your heart is pure,
    You're still good to me if you're a Bad Kid, baby."

Lady Gaga

MY LOVING TFF FAMILY

TFF WIFEY - angelmarie190515
    MY FF TWIN - Firefly

TFF STEP-HUSBAND-IN LAW - Gilgamesh~Enkidu

BESTEST FRIEND - Judge Magistrate
    IRISHMAN IN THE PUB JOKES - seanb
    CANADIAN FRIEND - R.Kyra
    FELLOW SCOTSMAN - Aerif
    AUSSIENESS - NikkiLinkle

I think it has to do with the demographic really. Considering they have a substantial fanbase worldwide, they probably do this to appeal to all different races (it wouldn't be as fun if you kept playing with only Asian people all the time). I think it's nice that they sort of have an element of mystery set into the nationality of the characters.
    Spoiler:
    My TFF Family:

My TFF girlfriend who hearts root beer - Chocobo_Lover 17
    My brother of honourable justice - Judge Magistrate
    My Canadian sister who travels the skies- R.Kyra
    My nameless brother of legend - Hero without a Name
    My brother, the Gunblade master - Lion Heart
    My supernatural sister of mysterious intrigue - belleZ