Thread: FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series

Eye in the Sky FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series Fuzz's Avatar

Post FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series

Not sure how real this is, but definitely will get long-time FF fans speculating. I know that there have been some mixed reviews in Japan regarding FFXIII's loyalty to some of the traditional elements that helped make the franchise what it is today. Regardless, SE continues to think of new, innovative ways to change each new installment to the 'core-series'. Judging from from what Mr. Wada has got to say, it seems Square-Enix may seriously consider drastically changing forms of play in the future.

--Full Story--

"I believe Final Fantasy XIII is going be something special, and that it’s going to be well received by the audience," states Wada. "But whether we are going to continue to internally create this type of game remains to be seen, because I actually feel that the team that was involved with Final Fantasy XIII should next move on to create and generate some 'next generation' forms of play.

"I really think that the Final Fantasy team could create something completely different, but at the moment they’re strictly catering to the particular audience they have now."

Source: Destructoid

-----
    Fuzz
    Webmaster
    @ thefinalfantasy.net
    [email protected]

The Quiet One FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That's certainly interesting news to hear. It is true that they are more or less catering to what the vocal part of the fandom usually wants or at least what the trends are. But I have a hard time to believing that they are just going to give up their cash cow or pass it on to someone else. Passing it off will spell certain doom for the series and stopping is a huge financial risk especially in these economic times. There's a reason why franchises are important, they have name recognition already and a fan base that will buy it. New IPs are difficult things, Square has the name to push them, but its not enough even for them. Their last couple did not fair so well on the market.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Registered User FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series
    I think that trying new things is good, but I don't really know how I feel about a "drastic overhaul". I will say that I am going to be open-minded about whatever it is that SE is planning for future titles in the series. There's always going to be some people out there who hate whatever they decide to do because it's "not like it used to be", but I'm really not one of those people.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

I want to play a game. FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series Zargabaath's Avatar
    I just got done reading the article over at vgchartz and came here to see if anyone mentioned this article and I am here.

I took away from the article that there may be a new team that would do FF XV (if they continue to further the series) though I was thinking that Motomu Toriyam would do at least another entry in the main series before moving on.

Now if Wada means to end the FF series with the Fabula Nova Cyrstallis & FF XIV I would find that: 1) a bad move & 2) a bit abrupt. I also would be saddened that one of my favourite rpg series would be laid to rest; I know the series will end one day, unless it just won't die and FF LXXVII will be released on Armageddon, but I think it stills has mojo and drive to continue.

I do find this article a bit more funny, more so if Wada is thinking about ending the FF series, because in a press release a couple of years back (around the time TWEWY was released) Wada said that SE needs to focus more on the established products they have and not make new IPs. Wada is looking a bit shaky; SE has the ability to do both and while I'm at it - I would like if they made a new strong entry in the SaGa and Mana series.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

So if they stop making "Final Fantasy".

Something like this will happen.

NEW RPG TITLE

Not Final Fantasy in the name, but I mean, new SE RPG, it's like Final Fantasy, just not the name.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

I feel epic... FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series Ralz's Avatar
    Apparently, I've died and gone to Game Heaven. Later, losers.
    The series has been changing ever since the start. From weird speed-based battles to MMOs to tactical action/RPG hybrids to an advanced ATB system. I hope the changes continue, at least gameplay-wise...

But I hope FF doesn't lose its magic that it *still* has, even though its bound to die eventually. With the direction its going, and the various reviews I've read, I'm not sure what to expect. But I'll welcome the changes... as long as the ultimate outcome is a good game.

I'm going through a bit of a The World Ends With You phase right now.
    Click THERE:
    TFF Family:
    Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus CecilGod1994 Flaming Ragnarok Shadow of Darkness Dark Angel Kilala Sato Arashi RagnaToad RamesesII IceColdPillow Kisaragi^^ Elyon Seraphim Shiru MILK Vince Kisuke Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima ethan

#LOCKE4GOD FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As long as people want to play traditional RPGs, then someone will step up and make them.

But this isn't surprising. All genres evolve and develop. Newer FFs barely resemble their origins anyway.

I want to play a game. FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series Zargabaath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    But this isn't surprising. All genres evolve and develop. Newer FFs barely resemble their origins anyway.
    Tell that too the people who adorn nostalgia glasses; they already have hard time with what was quoted and are oblivious to the fact that when they played the old games they were teeny lads or teeny gals at an age that is easily impressionable.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

All is One.One is All. FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series Firefly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralz View Post
    The series has been changing ever since the start. From weird speed-based battles to MMOs to tactical action/RPG hybrids to an advanced ATB system. I hope the changes continue, at least gameplay-wise...

But I hope FF doesn't lose its magic that it *still* has, even though its bound to die eventually. With the direction its going, and the various reviews I've read, I'm not sure what to expect. But I'll welcome the changes... as long as the ultimate outcome is a good game.
    I absolutely agree wit u,couldnt have said it any better myself....but I hope that Final Fantasy will stay as magical,fun,romantic(in ways),and awesome like it always has in future FF games.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    My TFF Family:
    * My Awesome Older Brother, Judge Magistrate :]
    * Illusion :]
    * Cait Sith :]
    * My Sweet,Caring,Older Sister angelmarie190515 :]
    * My FF Twin, nickness89 :]
    * My Favorite Australian Cousin, NikkiLinkle :]
    * My Long Lost Cousin, Hero without a Name :]

***98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar
    What I took away from it was that Wada is somewhat unsatisfied with the sales of FFXIII, which did nicely during its first week and then somewhat less after, and doesn't want to put the majority of their resources into a game (or handful of them) that doesn't sell for the big bucks. So now rather than create a "traditional" RPG he wants to try and appeal to a wider audience and create something that will pull in more sales. I believe it was also Wada who voiced his discontent with their "polymorphic content" strategy and how it wasn't making enough. No doubt if FFXIII was doing well enough he would have no complaints.

"... it's very difficult to hit the jackpot, as it were. Once we've hit it, we have to get all the juice possible out of it..." - Wada, again

Final Fantasy isn't in danger of disappearing. It rakes in money on name alone and that's enough for him. Wada's goal is no doubt to attract as many customers as possible using the name, even if it strips FF of all its traditions. FF isn't in any danger of disappearing.
    Last edited by SOLDIER #819; 01-08-2010 at 11:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

Quote Originally Posted by SOLDIER #819 View Post
    What I took away from it was that Wada is somewhat unsatisfied with the sales of FFXIII, which did nicely during its first week and then somewhat less after...
    If you know anything about the japanese gaming industry is after the first week of a big release (Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy) sales dip waaaaaaay down. It is a normal occurence and it is nothing to fret over a think it is an ill omen to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLDIER #819 View Post
    and doesn't want to put the majority of their resources into a game (or handful of them) that doesn't sell for the big bucks. So now rather than create a "traditional" RPG he wants to try and appeal to a wider audience and create something that will pull in more sales. I believe it was also Wada who voiced his discontent with their "polymorphic content" strategy and how it wasn't making enough. No doubt if FFXIII was doing well enough he would have no complaints.
    How FFXIII is shaping up is quite good actually; Wada predicted around 10 million sales for the game and it is not too far-fetched to think the game will reach that mark making it the best selling Final Fantasy to date.

It will most likely reach the 2 million mark in a couple of weeks and should definitely have it by mid-February. Now there is the ps3 and 360 U.S. market and the ps3 and 360 "Other" market. Break that down further and there are 4 markets that each must get 2 million to make the 10 million mark; 2 million for a Final Fantasy game should not be hard to due on each console even.

Eye in the Sky FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series Fuzz's Avatar
    Just read a pretty good article related to all of this. Talks about the direction of Final Fantasy and FFXIII review, thought I would share:

Gamasutra - News - Analysis: The Conundrum of Final Fantasy XIII

-----
    Fuzz
    Webmaster
    @ thefinalfantasy.net
    [email protected]

One of the better reviews or impressions for FF XIII that I've read. It's good to see a more objective review compared to the horrendous attrocities I've seen elsewhere.

Thanks for the article Fuzz.

FFXIII is the FFVII remake.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Certified tech, come at me! FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So, Square is thinking about changing how FF games will be played. Hmm..... I wonder where else I've heard this kind of news *cough*zelda*cough*. Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing a change to the series, they just got to be careful how they set up the gameplay mechanics because sometimes the new controls don't really work out like the developers hoped it would.

So i'm for a new traditional type of gameplay as long as Square doesn't ruin the awesomeness of the series.

your friendly neighbourhood Genga FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series J3N0V4's Avatar
    Um.. sorry to burst any bubbles or create hate but wasn't the last truly traditional ff, FF:X it was the last to retain some of the original turn based combat.

XI was online and who can say that's traditional
    XII was a failed attempt at what will be the future of ff
    XIII will probably be what XII wanted to be but failed miserably at, a free roam battle system with small turn based elements or at least that's what I think
    When we drink we get drunk
    When we get drunk we fall asleep
    When we fall asleep we commit no sin
    When we commit no sin we go to heaven
    So let's all drink and go to heaven

Postingway FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series Maciariello's Avatar
    I really enjoy turn-based combat. I didn't play XII (saw a little of it played, however), and I've seen a little bit of XIII played, but I hope the combat isn't drastically different from the turn-based roots it comes from.

Its obvious that they're expanding on the battle system they had in XII and it's not totally in the same vein as something like FFX, but I really hope there's some strategy involved that is at least somewhat similar to the more traditional nature of the past games. Action RPGs are alright, but the one thing I always loved about FF games and a variety of other SE RPGs is their turn-based battle systems.
    Frank Jaeger - "A cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackal."

Rune Knight FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series Trodorne's Avatar
    In this game, spells are used as items. there is a gunblade (one that finally functions), and one of my favorite summons has been turned into a motorcycle... oh the shame of it.

if you guys want to buy into every game that comes out fine. personally i hope this game crashes and burns.

O Rly? FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series Arch's Avatar

Re: FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series

Idk how I feel about this. Final Fantasy is a huge franchise, and idk if people should mess with it. Yea some change is good but think, FF has so many loyal fans, do you wanna risk losing them by bringing on changes? I mean yeah a lot of people are upset of what FF has become , but no matter what we will keep buying games to see what SE throws into the franchise now. But idk like dodie I'm open to new ideas and I don't think I will ever shy away from the FF franchise, its been in my life too long for me just to forget about it. Loyal Fan

Arch, Pronounced Ark

TFF Family
    My TFF Family:
    My Brotha! and Best Friend Black Waltz

Quote Originally Posted by J3N0V4 View Post
    Um.. sorry to burst any bubbles or create hate but wasn't the last truly traditional ff, FF:X it was the last to retain some of the original turn based combat.

XI was online and who can say that's traditional
    XII was a failed attempt at what will be the future of ff
    XIII will probably be what XII wanted to be but failed miserably at, a free roam battle system with small turn based elements or at least that's what I think
    Of course you realize by saying "original turn based combat" you are excluding FF IV through FF IX - they had ATB which is not the original turn-based. FF X brought something new to the turn-based system of FFs with the CTB.

I'd like to add that FF XIII has actually brought a change to the ATB system that when looked at in hindsight had grown a bit stale through FF IV to FF IX.

Final Fantasy is not the series of strictly staying traditional but a series of change from each iteration; the series does not repeat too much from the prior but creates anew its own "characteristics" or "flavor".

In regards to FF XI, FF XIV, and any possible future MMO FFs: wouldn't fans rejoice if they could play a Final Fantasy with their friends, whom also love Final Fantasy, and an even larger portion of the FF fanbase. Where they can experience together the awesomeness that is Final Fantasy that they all love or do Hiroshi Yamauchi's words ring true?

Final Fantasy XII was still "turn-based" as much as an ATB system is; in both ATB and ADB a gauge for the party member must fill up before they can act. In the ATB system the gauge filled up then the player selected what to do; in ADB the action was selected first (**pending on how the player played FF XII**) and then the gauged filled up. Final Fantasy XII was not like a Star Ocean or a Tales of game where the player could attack at any time, the party members were still restricted by a bar as to when the could attack or perform an action. The differece with FF XII in relation to past FF games that had the ATB was: that battles took place in real-time (i.e., there was no screen transition) hence why it is called Active Dimension Battle. So what you said about FF XII failing to do "a free roam battle system with small turn-based elements" is exactly what FF XII does.

How much knowledge do you have of Final Fantasy XIII's battle system? Have you kept up with the release of information that has come out or is it an impression of what you heard long ago? Because FF XIII does not have pure free-roaming if it all. There is a screen transition and I don't believe the player can move their controlled character as possible in a Star Ocean or Tales of game, but either way FF XIII does not incorporate free-roaming into the battle system. As I said earlier Final Fantasy XIII does bring a breath of fresh air to the concept of ATB that has been long overdue.

Final Fantasy XI is the ultimate Final Fantasy experience.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Well mortals, I got some more info for ya regarding Mr. Wada's statement - this time Kitase and Toriyama (FF XIII director) share their thoughts on Wada's statement regarding FF XIII.

PS Blog: How do you feel about Yoichi Wada’s statement that Final Fantasy XIII will be the last game of its kind for Square Enix?

Kitase & Toriyama: We don't know exactly what he meant by that. We don't really know what he meant by this style of game. If you consider that during Final Fantasy XIII’s development, at peak time the team consisted of over 300 people. It was a huge team, plus it took a several long years to get the game finished. So, if Mr Wada meant that we would never make another Final Fantasy title with the similar number of people, taking as long as FFXIII did, we would agree.

Obviously in the future we want to be much more efficient. Having worked on XIII, we feel that we have got much better at making good games for high definition consoles. In the future our teams will be smaller and more effectively run. We suspect that is what Mr Wada meant by his statement.

The question was asked by the EU PS Blog and here is the link for any that are interested to see the actual article.

VGChartz - Please Take A Moment To Visit Our Sponsor

Registered User FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series

In the future our teams will be smaller and more effectively run. We suspect that is what Mr Wada meant by his statement.
    That sounds like a good thing to me. Maybe it won't take as long for the next FF game to be released, like what happened with XII and XIII. Of course, if they run too close together, that might not be a good thing for my wallet and my social life. Ah well.

I kind of wish that Wada himself would have clarified his own statement though, but I guess it's better than not knowing anything about what he really meant.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Registered User FFXIII May Be Last Traditional Game of Series vicks and wedge's Avatar

@ zagarbath or whatever..

dude you need to realize that there are differences that traditional ff fans like that 12 did not incorporate. and dont appear in what is in 13..its like you almost insult anyone for being nostalgic....you need to simply understand that there are a lot of fans that feel this way. now it is their opinions so you dont have to agree but you have to acknowledge these feelings exhist and stop insulting or trying to change theese feelings 12 and 13 may be good games but they are not what nostalgic fans are looking for...you say ff is all about change...so why do 1-9 follow the same formula with variations..thats 9 games that in my opinion dont differ all that much in gameplay and many other aspects ...(im sure i'll get a littergy on that comment)

as furthur proof to my statements almost every thread on this forum eventually has someone references the past and current dislike of ff games..if these feelings were simply a few nostalgic ppl who were fooled into liking borring games because they were at impresionable ages then surely this toppic would rarely arrise...(you take us for idiots saying something like that)

its cool to me if you like transition in rpgs if you like a variety of rpgs that always do something new and inventive thats great..not me though..i played alot of rpgs and honestly i discovered that i am not so much an rpg fan as i am a final fantasy fan and there are 9 games that i love!! 9 that follow what i feel is a similar gameplay expierience that verry few other rpgs have been able to deliver. and ive tried alot of others(they are prolly good games but not what i want to play as a ff fan)

look bro i am not trying to start anything here i have just read quite a few posts from you that seem like you dont respect the opinions of other gamers who dont feel the same as you(on this nostalgic issue) ...you have also given me aalot of info on your posts and you are verry well connected and verry knowlegable on your stuff so i am not trying to rip you at all and i do enjoy reading what you post..just from time to time you get a bit insulting to those who like the older versions of ff better...