Thread: What if future FF titles were made in the style of the Tales of series?

Certified tech, come at me! What if future FF titles were made in the style of the Tales of series? SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What if future FF titles were made in the style of the Tales of series?

Ok guys, time for a new general FF discussion. What if Square-Enix got together with Namco for future FF games made in the style of the Tales of series with the rich anime style graphics, dramatic opening scenes, but retained the turn based combat?

Would Square benefit from this new direction in the series? what could be the danger of this new direction? and what could be done to pull off a successful entry?
    Currently Playing:

I think Squeenix wouldn't want this, because they want FF's to retain their own special metamorphing style and just blending in with anime type gfx would come off as weak and unoriginal.

Kinda happened with Namco × Capcom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I want to play this game SO BAD OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG KILL ME
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Boxer of the Galaxy What if future FF titles were made in the style of the Tales of series? Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSabin View Post
    Ok guys, time for a new general FF discussion. What if Square-Enix got together with Namco for future FF games made in the style of the Tales of series with the rich anime style graphics, dramatic opening scenes, but retained the turn based combat?
    Well.. I can pretty much show you.

The Quiet One What if future FF titles were made in the style of the Tales of series? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Square has been trying to put more western influences into their FF games to widen their appeal and increase their sales. The Tales games and the director has specifically said that they will continue to make Tales for the Japanese and not try to add western influence. So you have two not completely opposites, but close to it. Reality is that Square's direction clashes with the Tales core, so it would never happen.

If it did, I'd enjoy playing it. The reason I love the Tales series is because they still want to be Japanese, not try to be something that they aren't. I play JRPGs because I can't find anything like them from Western developers. I'm soaked in the culture around me that it's not interesting or compelling to me. Japanese culture brings something different. Many JRPG players/fans enjoy said games because they are Japanese and are based from that culture rather than trying to be something else. The big thing that they would bring to the FF series would be returning to the idea of being a Japanese RPG rather than a hybrid. It'd probably actually appeal to more people.

I love an anime opening for my games as much as the next person, but that's not really necessary for a FF game. While all Tales have them, I'm not really it is the core of the series. I don't see it as something that would transfer. It'd mostly be the where the influence comes from and a strong focus on characters. Which I can helping the series. One of the other best things about the Tales series is they do a lot of work to give very well explored characters with depth and details. You know them in more than just extreme situations, you know how they act when everyone is just joking around or relaxing. Which is not something common in a lot of games. It adds much needed layers to the character.

As influence by anime as Nomura and the FF series is, Tales does fall more into anime tropes than FF does. It can make them feel a little common. And the Tales series plays things safe and slowly iterates over time, while the FF series is a little more bold in trying new things. Depending on your point of view the Tales series could feel old and stale, albeit reliable and what to expect. Something a little dangerous for FF, since Square already has Dragon Quest which plays it safe. I think FF needs to experiment, it's part of what the series is. It may make people turn away, but not always knowing what you're going to get is a little more exciting at times.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Unpopular opinion ? The future Final Fantasies would be so much better as it would bring back a older SNES/ PlayStation Final Fantasy feel and that classic battle system.

Interesting question. Square-Enix make good games Namco make good games so perhaps but I think a better company to join with Square-Enix would be Capcom cuz their games are even more kick ass than Namco's if that would work the games would be to kill for!

Scourge of Esthar What if future FF titles were made in the style of the Tales of series? CrazedMonkey's Avatar
    I would actually be okay with that if it was done right. I love the Tales series. It is by far my favorite video game series out there with only 2 thus far I don't really like (Legendia and Graces). However, I'm not sure how well FF would do with this format. Tales has been experimenting and testing modifications to their combat system for years. Fine tuning and tweaking here and there and I do honestly believe the combat in Xillia is the best the franchise has ever had. Part of the problem is, I don't like the idea of FF straight ripping off Tales instead of doing it's own thing, and I have this other fear they will just copy-paste something like Kingdom Hearts (which, while fun, has never had my favorite combat system). If they tried it, they'd have to be careful about how they approach it. Though, regardless of what they try, I also have this dread that die-hard old school fans will flog them with hatred for being different from what they used to be.
    You'll have your reward for finding me, and don't think of running off without collecting. My shot is faster, or my names not Balthier.