Thread: First time playing FFT, question on gameplay

Postingway First time playing FFT, question on gameplay Maciariello's Avatar

First time playing FFT, question on gameplay

Okay, so I just started playing FFT for the first time ever on the PSP and I have a question.

I'm stuck in a battle with a few knights, some archers, and two black mages. Honestly, I'm pretty much at the start of the game and I'm still getting a feel for it overall, but I wanted to know if there is a way to level grind in order to get more gil and more exp/jp. I'm guessing there IS a way, but being the noob I am, it's probably a pretty straight forward way of doing it.

I've bought as much as I can for my characters I currently have and I've optimized them all. There's literally nothing else that I know of that I can think of to do (except level grind) to help me in this battle. The enemy is just so powerful compared to my own party.

Help! Someone!

Registered User First time playing FFT, question on gameplay HUNK's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Never fear, a dude who worships FFT WOTL is here!

Anyway, I'm to assume you mean the merchant city of Dortor? It is most likely the first "tough battle".

My recomendation is when the fight starts, no matter how much you want to fight, go and follow Argath and Delita up that one building they love so much beacause there is strength in numbers and waiting on top of that building waiting on your enemy is easier then charging into the center of town and while distracted by the knight, getting blasted by magicks and arrows.

If you really just need leveling, I recomend finding enemies in the plains where you met argath. If there is a chocobo kill everything except it and surround it. Beat it to a pulp and when it gets ciritcal it will use chocobo cure and heal everyone around him.
    (In case plan does not go perfectly, you can also get exp by beating up your own team. Keep chemists handy.)

Hope I helped!

Go with me, Exkaizer~ First time playing FFT, question on gameplay Treize's Avatar
    I'm not sure if this version is much different than the Playstation version, but I usually level up a little bit before this battle. This is the first "difficult" battle in the game. If you level up in a few random battles before this one, you will have a much easier time. After this battle the game starts to become a little easier. Once your characters start learning some of the "good" job abilities, then the rest of the game won't be too difficult. This was one of the few battles that I had trouble with when I first played.

If I remember right, Wizards and Archers were great in this battle, but it is good to level up a little bit so that they don't die... Also make sure to kill off the Wizards since their bolt is pretty damaging at this point in the game. You could use Chemists too for healing, but I never really found a need for Chemists.

H.U.N.K already gave you some good ways to level up. There aren't really that many "tricks" in the beginning of the game unless you want to attack yourself or other party members.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

Postingway First time playing FFT, question on gameplay Maciariello's Avatar
    My thanks to the both of you!

I will heed your advice and implement accordingly.

cloud_ultima_wielder

Re: First time playing FFT, question on gameplay

Little tip on level gaining in Final Fantasy Tactics, is to give all of your members the "First Aid" ability and constantly use it to level up. This is a very quick way to level up, I fully leveled easily with this method in Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced.

Shikashake2

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_ultima_wielder View Post
    Little tip on level gaining in Final Fantasy Tactics, is to give all of your members the "First Aid" ability and constantly use it to level up. This is a very quick way to level up, I fully leveled easily with this method in Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced.
    Eh, that's in FFTA. The original FFT doesn't have that ability.

For this battle, something that really made things easier for me is to use chemists for healing, preferably one with Pheonix Downs. I feel that they make the battle much easier than if you used a White Mage instead.

Registered User First time playing FFT, question on gameplay kupo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maciariello View Post

I've bought as much as I can for my characters I currently have and I've optimized them all. There's literally nothing else that I know of that I can think of to do (except level grind) to help me in this battle. The enemy is just so powerful compared to my own party.
    whats your average party/ramza's level? i always had a problem until most of my party members were level 7/8ish. then, more jobs open up and you really get a feel for your party. the game does require some nice level grinding but as you get use to everything, it gets a heck of a lot easier.

"With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting ways to kill a man." - Balthier

CURRENTLY PLAYING
    final fantasy xiii-2
    skyrim
    pokemon fire red