Thread: The Rook

Professional Klutz. The Rook Hyzenthlay's Avatar

The Rook

PART ONE:

I never did understand that phrase, 'sleeping with the fishes'. I always found it hard to find it a threat. It seemed like more of a cute image than anything. I guess that's because my mind creates a picture of a fish all tucked into a bed. It would make more sense for me to have a shark eating this fish in my mind. I can't shake what my mind does though. If there's anything I've learned from my brain it's that I have way too much free time.

My name is Thomas Hinds. Now I'd like to tell you that I have cascading auburn hair and handsomely chiseled features. The sad truth, though, is that I'm just like you. I have dirty blond hair and I'm of average looks. Or so I'm told. My main distinguishing features are my eyes. At least those, being bright blue, make me stand out from the crowd. I suppose some people may look at me and not think much. If they could see into my past they'd see I'm not average. Not even in the slightest. Don't get me wrong I used to be strikingly so. All that changed one rainy, cloudy and very lucky night.

I had been watching the Godfather on t.v whilst ironing a suit. I had very little time left before I had to be at my sisters birthday bash. I don't suppose my sister ever knew she saved my life. She did. Had it not been for the fact I had stepped away from my window I'd be dead. I wasn't happy with the tie I had picked, you see. I had gone to pick another out. What I hadn't seen is the bullet whiz past my head. Had I not been so tired from a night of drunken glee I may have noticed. Right now I simply focused on one thing. I had a beautiful red tie in the cupboard by the front door.

I had just placed it at my collar and looked in the mirror when the door flew open. Now may be a good time to explain my past occupation. I had been a Chemist for a very bad crowd. When I wasn't happy with the way they operated, I ran. You don't run from those people. It turns out they found me. That's where the fella that broke my door comes in. He's my punishment and he had a gun to make me see sense. The trouble is that he startled me. I immediatly threw my arms around and wrapped my red tie around his neck. I span him around and threw him. The man fell to the floor and turned, gun brandished. Luckily my leg reacted before I thought possible. I kicked it from his grasp and was upon him in moments. He wore a tight, black mask. It had no distinctive markings of any kind. Fear gripped me.

The next few seconds are a blur. All I do know is that I had the gun. He was furiously trying to push my head away with his right hand. With his left he held my wrist that held the gun. It did him no good, though. Somehow, in my adrenaline fulled fear, I had overpowered him. With one shot to the head he lay still. I could feel my heart beat hard in ears. His arms fell to the floor and I was free from his clutches. On impulse I removed his mask. It revealed a pale, dark haired man. His Hazel eyes stared blankly up at me. Remorse set in. I felt the adrenaline pushed tears from my eyes. I threw my head back and began to sob. Still I held his mask. As I lowered my head I noticed a statue had slipped from his pocket. A small chess piece, a castle in fact. I knew this man, or at least his trade name. The bosses had always called him 'the Rook'. He was a hitman and a good one at that. This whole situation had been pure luck on my part. How I was still alive astounded me. Forget woe, the relief I now felt overpowered everything. Absolute euphoria gripped me. I felt like I'd survived an attack from god.

Just as I'd reached my high I fell. Footsteps... In the hallway. Somebody had accompanied the Rook? I heard a voice talk plainly from behind me. It had panic in it's voice.

"Have you dealt with the target, Rook?"

I turned my head to glimpse two of the biggest men I had ever seen. They were looking directly at me. Did they think I was the rook?

"I see that you have. Put your mask back on then. We have to get out of here before the police arrive. Valerie is waiting in the building opposite."

Without a second thought I pulled the mask over my head. I didn't say a word as I rose to my feet. Nor did I talk on the way to the car. In fact it's safe to say that not a word passed my lips that whole night. It must have been the suit. The Rook himself had been wearing a suit. Maybe they were so confident in his skills that they viewed his defeat as impossible. Them having never seen his face added to the sweet irony mix. If I could only hold my tongue; I may even make it out of this unharmed.

Comments welcome as this is only the first draft.
    Last edited by Hyzenthlay; 06-23-2010 at 08:58 AM.
    Cogito, ergo sum.
    PRK9, putting the Kitty back in Por Rorr.
    Most likely to have supernatural babies- TFF Bogus Awards 2009- Winner

Aspiring Author The Rook SeleneHime's Avatar

Re: The Rook

Quite the interesting start you've got so far. I like the tone that you set with the opening line, almost metaphorical and pondering. But its done in a way that captured my interest. And while I'm not familiar with first person thriller, I'd be eager to read more if you felt like posting it.

Library
    SPOILER!!:
    Fan Works:
    LoZ: Crescent Light Chronicles
    LoZ: Into the Shadows
    PKMN: Chronicles of Erana
    PKMN: Dragon Knight
    PKMN: Rising Darkness
    SM: Celestial Shadows
    FF: TBD (Title To Be Decided)

Original Works:
    Mageblood