Thread: The Inheritance Trilogy

The Inheritance Trilogy CloudsGhost 17's Avatar

The Inheritance Trilogy

Hello everyone. I was wanting to know how many people have heard of or read the Inheritance Trilogy books by Christopher Poalini(spell?) I myself have both Eragon and Eldest and I have already read both completely and I can honestly say I think they are great books. If anyone also has any guestions about these books then fell free to PM with your guestions and I'll help as best I can. Thanks for your time.
    Searching for his last bit of Light deep down inside....

CG17

Vagabond Thief The Inheritance Trilogy Rikkuffx's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have and they were great books I dont remember if I finished eldest..lost interest i guess..and I wonder when the 3rd book is coming out hmm
    ~TFF Family~
    Doc Rocco-My illegitimate and nefarious son
    Fishie-My lusty neighbor who loves to egg old people!
    Martin-My awesome Tff lil bro who lets me cry on his shoulder!
    Unknown Entity-My wonderful banner making sis <3
    Halie-my slightly crazy but wondeful sis <3
    My geeky maple story loving bro-joesteel64

Bass Player Extraordinaire The Inheritance Trilogy Joe's Avatar
    I read both of the books, and loved them, though they seemed a bit similar to LOTR in a way. Then again, I suppose that's to be expected with most fantasy novels. I loved the variety of languages Paolini develops in the series, it really added interest.

I'm really looking forward to the third book, but I haven't heard anything about a release date yet.
    (TFF Family):

My TFF Family:
    My Anime Addicted sister Athna Loveil
    My Unspoken Scabbia Loving Bro Fishie
    My Godsmack addicted brother Omega Weapon
    My Kooky Soap opera addicted sister Rikkuffx
    My Kinky Chipmunk Cousin Unknown Entity, because, you know, cousins can still do stuff in certain states.
    My Twin-like bro Ruin_Tumult
    Craven
    Slots still available, PM to join!

Registered User The Inheritance Trilogy Flash's Avatar
    I've only read the first one. I really want to read the second but I'm reading to many books and don't get time to read it.

When I was at the official website i saw a video with him and he said that there would be four books instead of three and it would be called the inheritance cycle, or some thing like that.
    Proud Member of FF Cult

TFF family, MSN and Dragons:
    My TFF Family
    Fishie, Martin, Final Fantasy Fan Cid, Lamborghini, Bleachfangirl, Pricilla, Xeim, T.G Oskar

1. Your first step will be going to www.hotmail.com and making an e-mail acount. It's fast and easy, trust me.

2. Secondly, if you haven't installed MSN, go here: http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

3. It doesn't matter if you don't know anyone. The point is meeting new members. Don't be shy =D.

4. My MSN is: [email protected]. Add me, and I will add you to my list.
    If there's a conversation going on at the time, I'll invite you to it and introduce you to everyone.

Anyone is welcome to take this idea and
    put it in their sig. You can use the "TFF Convo"
    banner I made, as well. With your help,
    TFF activity may boost

The first one was great. The story was interesting and the vocabulary helped me lots! I don't really remember it since I read it a while ago, but I liked the character's personalities. Each one was so different and unique that after a while, I actually thought of some of them as real.

The second was okay...but Eragon became a loser. I hated how pathetic he acted. He was needy and couldn't do anything on his own anymore. >< The Murtagh part was good though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joesteel64 View Post
    I read both of the books, and loved them, though they seemed a bit similar to LOTR in a way. Then again, I suppose that's to be expected with most fantasy novels.
    This is because Paolini was heavily influenced by Lord of the Rings.

However, I do disagree with the comment of it being expected in a fantasy novel. I read mainly fantasy, and while there are many that draw heavily on the archetype Tolkien popularized, there are even more that do not. Aside from a few big series, epic fantasy (and fantasy in general) is moving on to more gritty realism and relying less on the tired old conventions.

Sure, you can probably still find Tolkienesque stories being published every year, but by and large the genre has moved on.

But that's a topic for a thread in itself, so I'll save the rest.

Ok, Paolini. Right. Back when Eragon first came out, even some of my coworkers were reading it. I applaud any author who encourages people to read, especially those that are normally non-readers. I "borrowed" a coworker's copy while on break one day, just to see if it'd be worth adding to my collection.

Honestly, I didn't get much farther than the prologue and a few pages of the first chapter. The writing didn't quite make my eyes bleed, but it was close. I guessed the plot and the majority of the characters without much of an effort, precisely because Paolini draws on two of the most popular stories of all time: the aforementioned Lord of the Rings, and also Star Wars.

Yes, he was young when he wrote it, but it reflects heavily in the writing. It reads more like a bad self-insertion fanfiction than an actual fantasy novel.

His overwhelming arrogance doesn't help much, either. I don't think I'll ever buy one of his books because giving him more money will just inflate his ego that much more.

I'm not, however, saying that those who read and enjoy Eragon have bad taste or anything. I'm just saying that if you think it's all there is to fantasy, you might want to try reading some different authors. I might have enjoyed the book if I'd been younger when it came out, but I've read too many good fantasy novels to waste my time on a book that doesn't have an original thought in it. (I don't mean original as in unique, but original as in didn't even bother changing an idea to make his own interpretation.)

This is all my opinion of course, and I'm not trying to spoil the fun, I'm just adding a different perspective to the mix. I love dragons, so I was actually quite disappointed to find so many reasons to put the book down. That may even be why I have a rather strong opinion of it--I think it could have been so much better, if only he'd let it sit until he was older and more experienced.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn