Thread: Watchmen

Watchmen

I just finished reading the famous graphic novel by DC comics, WATCHMEN, the other day.
    Like a noob, I found out about it from a trailer for the film. I wasn't planning on seeing the movie (it's rated R). However, I saw the graphic novel at Barnes & Noble one day, and I found out how much it was raved by critics. So, I later got it as a present for Christmas and I read the entire thing.
    I thought it was a very good book; I'm glad I read it. I thought the writing was very clever and the illustrations were also great.
    So now I ask people who have read this book: What did you think of WATCHMEN? Did you think it deserved the praise it received, or was it disappointing?

Last edited by Mr Walrusman; 02-06-2010 at 04:32 PM.

.............. Watchmen smurphy's Avatar
    In a word: masterpiece. I love the colour scheme and the way the narrative pans out. Its far superior to the adaptation in the way that everything is presented better but the movie was missing the references to the missing artists and scientists( whose endeavours we see the result of) and the pirate comic book narrative which i felt reflected the world of watchmen perfectly. The killing of Rorschach nearly brought me to tears.

Death Before Dishonor Watchmen Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I never got the chance to read the comics. The movie was awesome, so I assume that the comic's are also awesome. They are at the top of my list of comic's to buy whenever I go to Louisville. I would look around here, but good comic's are hard to find in the smaller towns of kentucky. I know I can find them in Louisville...

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Watchmen Polk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisuke View Post
    I would look around here, but good comic's are hard to find in the smaller towns of kentucky. I know I can find them in Louisville...
    Watchmen is one of the most popular graphic novels of all time, I doubt you'll have a hard time finding it. Hell, I bought my copy of the collected edition at Target.

Anyway, I really like Watchmen. It's a brilliant piece of literature that not only tells a great story about heroes past their prime, but it's got a great vibe that captures the uneasiness and panic that occurred during the Cold War.

The film, not so much.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

Blog Entries
    Polk is right. I would definitely read the graphic novel because it really accomplishes so much more than the film. And yeah, you can literally find it anywhere. Hell, you could probably find a bootleg pdf of it.

The film isn't bad, but it just feels disjointed and doesn't quite capture the same feelings as the novel.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James K. Polk View Post
    Watchmen is one of the most popular graphic novels of all time, I doubt you'll have a hard time finding it. Hell, I bought my copy of the collected edition at Target.
    No target anywhere around here. Which sucks cause target is the shit. We have comic book stores around here, but they don't even have superman, and batman. Who the f*ck doesn't have a single superman or batman comic. Its all good my schedule has changed going to Louisville tomorrow...

Blog Entries
    A comic store without Superman or Batman? The **** kind of comic store is that? What comics do they carry? Is it a comic store run by Marvel, or something?

Anyway, yeah, Watchmen. I too found out about it for the first time via the preview before The Dark Knight (I assume that's when you saw it.) A week before the movie was to come out, I bought the graphic novel, and read it over a weekend. I hardly put it down. That should tell you how much I liked it. I really liked the text bits at the end of each chapter; they helped to flesh out the world and make it seem more real. The Black Freighter... eh. Sometimes it was good and appreciated how it paralleled the actual story, and other times I was really hoping to get to another part of the comic again to see what was actually gonna happen next. Really, reading parts of the comic felt like the writer was being kinda self-indulgent, really. Still a masterpiece, however. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Telegraph View Post
    A comic store without Superman or Batman? The **** kind of comic store is that? What comics do they carry? Is it a comic store run by Marvel, or something?
    It is not much of a comic store. The name is comic vault, but the only comic's I have seen there are Spiderman(which is cool by the way), and some weird shit I haven't heard, and isn't good enough to remeber. There main source of income comes from card trading. They do baseball cards, yu-gi-oh, and pokemon. I used to take my holographic yu-gi-oh cards there that I would get from stealing...