Thread: Started FFIX for the first time

Postingway Started FFIX for the first time Maciariello's Avatar

Started FFIX for the first time

So I was going to start FFVIII, but from what I understand FFIX isn't as long and is a little easier, so I opted to start that one instead. Having played the game ONCE 9 years ago and for not very long, I can honestly say that this is my first time playing through it.

My question is: on average, how hard is it compared to other FF games, and how long is it? I posted earlier on the VIII boards the same question, so I apologize for making similar threads all over the place, but I figure you guys would be the ones to ask!

Anyway, thank you in advance for the info!

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Started FFIX for the first time Treize's Avatar
    Final Fantasy VIII and IX are probably the two easiest games in the series, so you shouldn't have trouble beating either or them. Final Fantasy VIII will probably be longer unless you really like hunting for treasures on you chocobo for endless hours or really like the card game in Final Fantasy IX. Personally I thought the card game was better in Final Fantasy VIII. They are both great games, and you should really play both of them. If you are thinking about the order, I would play Final Fantasy IX first because it is probably a more traditional RPG.
    Last edited by Treize; 09-21-2009 at 09:27 PM.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

The Quiet One Started FFIX for the first time Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I felt that both games were about the same in length. However, it is certainly easier to make FFVIII harder on yourself unintentionally. The biggest difference with FFVIII and FFIX or most of the other FF games is that FFVIII system relies on you to have magic gathered and know how to use the system. If you don't use the system or don't have magic the game will be quite a challenge. However, if you are to drop time into the magic gathering the game is too easy.

FFIX supports a more traditional leveling system and character growth. So the only way to make it easier or harder is based on the amount of leveling you do since new weapons and gear are at specific towns which you normally won't have access to until that point in the story. FFVIII weapons and gear have almost no overall impact when compare to most RPGs' weapons and gear. And due to the game leveling with you, levels have little meaning the game as well apart from gaining more HP and making monsters stronger. It's easier to beat the final boss at level 30 than it is level 100, because you can have the same magic and damaging capabilities, but the enemy will have significantly more HP to take hits.

FFVIII only problem is that people usually have trouble understanding completely the junction system until you're half way through the game. So they unintentionally make it more challenging on themselves until they understand the system. Once you know the system and have magic it is quite easy.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Started FFIX for the first time Xanatos's Avatar
    Personally I found FF IX to be a little harder than FF VIII but you shouldn't have any problems beating this game, it's fairly easy. If you played the old ones than I'm sure you'll like this one and like Andromeda said it's all about leveling and having the right gear. Buying equipment allows you to learn various abilities and most of them can be pretty useful in the game and you're allowed to set your abilities the way you want which results in somewhat different approach for some battles. This game isn't long but playing some minigames like "Chocobo Hot and Cold" will prolong the length of the game and by playing minigames you can obtain some useful items and equipment. Anyway, the game is great and I found it to be much better than FF VII and FF VIII but nevertheless I still recommend you to play FF VIII.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Postingway Started FFIX for the first time Maciariello's Avatar
    Good to know. Thank you guys for replying.

I started it last night and got to Lindblum. Honestly, I think I'm actually liking this FF game better than the others I've played, and it's really weird because the people I've talked to (aside from fans online) all say it's "the worst Final Fantasy." I love how simple it is and how lighthearted the story and characters are compared to the more serious approaches of other RPGs I've played. Not saying the others are anything less than superb, but I really appreciate the direction this game is going.

I realize that I'm not that far and I'm basing my opinion on only a small portion of the game, but from what I've played so far I love it.

To be honest (and this may sound crazy), the background paintings, battle camera and effects, and character animations all remind me of Chrono Cross. You may think think less of me because there are a lot of haters out there, but Chrono Cross was the first RPG I ever played and I'll always consider it my favorite RPG ever. I think the fact that I see so much of CC in FFIX is helping my good opinion of the game considerably.

I, like your friends, hated the game years ago when I first tried it. But, I really, really, like it now that i've played it a lot more. I like it much more than VIII. I liked VIII when I first got it but later in the game it got frustrating and it just wasn't as enjoyable. IX has the best leveling system in my opinion and it's really fun to level up because of how fast you get results. The one thing I don't like is how often characters come and go in the beginning. It's in the third disc when you finally get to form your party out of the full character cast.

Che
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciariello View Post
    Honestly, I think I'm actually liking this FF game better than the others I've played, and it's really weird because the people I've talked to (aside from fans online) all say it's "the worst Final Fantasy." I love how simple it is and how lighthearted the story and characters are compared to the more serious approaches of other RPGs I've played.
    See, you get it. Most people don't understand that it's not supposed to be a sequel to FFVIII or something. It's supposed to feel adventurous and lighthearted and warm. That's what makes this game so good.

Also, back to your original post, the game isn't really that hard compared to other games. There are some challenges though!

Registered User Started FFIX for the first time WilsonDean1990's Avatar
    I think i might play it, i haven't really played it that much. The farthest I've been before i stopped was where there was a cutscene and some people turn to statues. Sorry if its vague but i haven't played it for a while.

I think I'll start it tomorrow

TheDigitalManga Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigitalManga
    Bakuman Epsiode 1 Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigit.../0/hAID_tCqznY
    Bakuman Epsiode 1 Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigit.../1/_SGnj0AI5WI
    Bakuman Episode 1 Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigit.../0/szpHqaSscC4

I Think You Anime/Manga Fans would really like it!!