Thread: Ability Learning System

Ability Learning System

I'm re-playing this game because I've had a few days off from work and nothing to do, and I just thought I'd randomly put over (and make my first FF-related post on this account) how much I love this game and it's ability learning system. I like that you get to try assorted weapon/armour combos and get different abilities/stat changes/etc. from them. The ability learning system in this game is really good, probably if not one of the best out of the various Final Fantasy games

Tsuna Feesh Ability Learning System Fate's Avatar
    I like it better, too. I think that it gives you more abilities than just leveling up to learn them. Usually, the better abilities are learned at very high levels. In this system, all you have to do is get the appropriate equipment, of which there are lots. For example, I prefer that Zidane's Thievery skill is learned form the Angel Bless weapon rather than at a level that high such as 60 or 70. It gives you a better array of skills and abilities much earlier, letting you utilize them against more enemies than just the ones that late in the game, because unless you are a level grinder, that's when you'll learn the abilities.

Curiosity Conquers, So Click:

*Yesha*; -Balthier-; Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus; Azuteor; Black Waltz; Clint Eastwood; Dark Angel; Dodie16; ethan; Flaming Ragnarok; Insufficient Mage; Kilala; LIGHTNING_71013; Lunasa; Mallick; Meigumi; Messiah; Padraic; PurpleDiamond; RamesesII; Shiru; Silver; Unknown Entity; ViviMasterMage; winterborn86

If you'd like a place in my family, be sure to ask me~! ^ ~

I like that you have to put in effort to have one hundred percent completion of all the moves, abilities, add-ons and magic. I also like that you can mix it up because each of them is unique somehow, whether it's what they learn or maybe the added effects. They usually all come in handy somehow, they're not JUST a transitional weapon/piece of armour. It makes the game that little extra more fun. I haven't played any Final Fantasies since X-2, but if they haven't done this system in any more of the games I think it is a huge shame

Registered User Ability Learning System Draykonus's Avatar
    They implemented the same system in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, but other than that I don't think they have. I do enjoy the ease of use and simplicity of the system.

Well, to be honest, it was one of the first ability systems I understood right at the beginning. ^^" Somehow I always had problems understanding how to get the best out of the characters, but in IX it was really easy. ^^
    I also think it's much better than the other ones. Okay, it's a bit annoying that you have to get the best equipment every time, but I soon got used to it. x3" And then it was real fun to get all the abilities. ^^ (I didn't get them all, don't get me wrong xD" I'm not the type of person to get a perfect game, but I wanted to be equipped well when I was about to beat Kuja >3")

@celebrity.skin: I've only seen this kind of system in IX. In every FF there is another system and you have to learn all about it from the start. But the other systems aren't that bad. Some are even really good if you know how to use them. ^^ (But I totally agree that the system of IX was the simplest ^^)

Tsuna Feesh Ability Learning System Fate's Avatar
    This ability is also used in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Although, I don't know about the second one, because I've never played it. But yeah, FFTA and FFIX share the same learning system, which is pretty cool.

EDIT - *gasp* I never saw the fourth post. Sorry!
    Last edited by Fate; 07-12-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Curiosity Conquers, So Click:

*Yesha*; -Balthier-; Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus; Azuteor; Black Waltz; Clint Eastwood; Dark Angel; Dodie16; ethan; Flaming Ragnarok; Insufficient Mage; Kilala; LIGHTNING_71013; Lunasa; Mallick; Meigumi; Messiah; Padraic; PurpleDiamond; RamesesII; Shiru; Silver; Unknown Entity; ViviMasterMage; winterborn86

If you'd like a place in my family, be sure to ask me~! ^ ~

I'm DYING to see you! Ability Learning System ViviMasterMage's Avatar
    Really Fate, I never knew that. I thought that 9's learning system was unique but you know best. My nemesis!

My things:

My TFF Family!:
    My very hyper moogle loving cousin Meigumi!
    My grammar obsessive twin AWESOME brother Fate!
    My powerful, dangerous, short tempered younger brother Alther!
    My badassly cool chaos-loving lord who adores big swords and uber spells, Elyon Demidias
    My awesomely cool big brother xXCloudXx
    "The Bestest Buddy" xTidus (Aka Casey)
    My Okami-playing, Sephiroth-fangirl American cousin Dodie16
    My brother and stealthy swordsman of poetic power genome's blade
    My brother from another mother Gilgameshed_Up

My Fatey!:

Quote Originally Posted by Meigumi
    ....... I was reaaally hoping you'd say something else, but whatever! HEY, EVERYONE! WE'RE HAVING A CONVERSATION! 8D
    Fate's beautiful haiku:
    Lost in reverie
    Memories drifting through me
    So calm like the sea

I wonder if Fate just repeats people's posts to get his post count up or he just doesn't read other posts lol.

Anyways, FFVII is similar to FFIX's version as well. You equip a certain item, you gain AP and you lvl it up instead of learning it for good.

Actually, When you master something on FF9 You keep the ability you don't need the item equipped anymore.

My things:

My TFF Family!:
    My badassly cool chaos-loving lord who adores big swords and uber spells, Elyon Demidias

My Fatey!:

....... I was reaaally hoping you'd say something else, but whatever! HEY, EVERYONE! WE'RE HAVING A CONVERSATION! 8D
    Fate's beautiful haiku:
    Lost in reverie
    So calm like the sea

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    I wonder if Fate just repeats people's posts to get his post count up or he just doesn't read other posts lol.

Anyways, FFVII is similar to FFIX's version as well. You equip a certain item, you gain AP and you lvl it up instead of learning it for good.
    I am quite aware of that my friend. Also FFVI also is similar, in terms of the magic only though since the game wasn't that detailed back then.

Sorry Loaf

Anyway Final Fantasy 6 did have that didn't it, You had to equip summons to get the magic right?

My things:

My TFF Family!:

My Fatey!:

Fate's beautiful haiku:
    Lost in reverie
    So calm like the sea

Registered User Ability Learning System Draykonus's Avatar
    That may have been a discreet test run for their system, as is commonly done in many genres, just to see how people take to it. The FFIX system implements it throughout, which makes things less varied, which is better for the player overall. Speaking of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, I didn't like the blue mage so much. it took quite a lot of time and effort to train, then the usefulness of it was lost to me once my templar/dragoon combos(I had three) and my ninja/fighter and ninja/paladin combos(had quite an array of those) and my assassin(sadly, only one) were equipped with the right equipment. I liked Quina's setup way better. At least he/she could help out with the skill used to gain abilities.

I never really use/d Quina alot, but I have to admit s/he has some pretty handy abilities that can be learnt at some stages in the game. For example, White Wind when you're around the Cleyra part of the game and don't have any white mages in your party (Freya's Reis' Wind doesn't heal very much).