Thread: The collegiate world

The Old Skool Warrior The collegiate world LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The collegiate world

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin
    SOLDIER is not for flaming other people or picking on members.. its for having interesting discussions that n00bs won't be able to screw up.
    With this in mind, I suppose we need to have an intelligent and interesting conversation. The only threads in here at the moment consist of a general flame and some setup-type junk. So yeah, let's converse.

Of the members who have posted to this point in time, a good majority is in college. And we've got Kevin, whose high school is actually harder than college, because those private school kids have it rough like that.

Well, my first day of school was yesterday, and I've already got an essay due for English tomorrow. It's a very simple little project; two pages written on one of three topics. The topic I have chosen is this: "Describe your dream vacation. Include details such as: where you would go and why, what you would like to see/do there, what you already know about the destination, what you hope to learn from the experience, etc. Conclude by speculating on what resources (time, money, knowledge, etc.) you might need to make this dream vacation a reality."

It's not that big of a deal, right? For some reason... I can't come up with a competent two pages. Yeah, that's all... two pages. I'm not sure if I'm struggling simply because I'm attempting to say everything at once, but all I know is that somehow, even the simplest of topics seems difficult. Of course, I know that I'm making it harder than it really is, so... yeah.

Topic on hand:
    What's the favorite paper you've ever written for a course in school?
    Or perhaps the hardest paper you've written through college?
    The most ridiculous topic you've ever been assigned for a paper?
    Etcetera?
    (A variant of this was also one of the three options for my paper due tomorrow. =P)

For me, it was probably my freshman theme in English in high school. There was an entire packet of social topics we could choose from, and I selected something like "Censorship in the Media" and went with it from there. It was probably the only paper in all of high school that I spent more than five hours researching and writing. I probably had a good five hours of research alone on that paper. (It was also when I started to get my drive for communications, which is now my major in college.) In this paper, I exploited both the FCC and the Constitution, pitting them against each other and placing public law above the rules of censorship. It was fun to write, and my grades were excellent. 100 for content, 98 for context, and a 100 for grammar. I can't remember a single paper in all of junior high or high school that even compared to my Media paper... (and that worries me...)
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Magically Delicous The collegiate world Merlin's Avatar
    I just transfered to USC Aiken. Man the second day of classes I had a quiz in every class. English 102 I got ****ed over because my syllabus was defunct. It was missing a page (and I had no idea because there were no page numbers) which just so happened to have a "required statement" listed on it that you have to put on every paper to prove you wrote it. Anywho, the second day of class we had our first essay due and of course mine doesn't have the "required statement" because I didn't have that page and had no clue. Do I get to add it? NO! She gives me a new syllabus and that's it. Thank God it was an intro essay and we can drop it..

German 101 is pretty interesting. We have an actual High German Proffessor which is cool, so it's not bootleg inaccurate German. Its definately not easy. I have to learn 30 phrases tonight and know them by tommorrow. It's a 4 day a week class. The most annoying thing is determining what is masculine, feminine, or neuter. You'd think a table would be neuter, since it's not a person.. but it isn't. None of the three are logical, even the Professor admitted that.

Political Science and math.. not too thrilled about.

As for USC Aiken.. majority girls! The other day I was walking to my class when 15+ bombshells walk out of the Admin building right towards me.. w00. The downside is all the hot chicks aren't in my classes.. which sux.

Blog Entries
    Well, I got off pretty easily then.

My English teacher had just printed off the syllabus prior to the class and handed them each out individually (it's a small class -- 36 people) and then we went over it at the start of class to be sure everyone had everything. It was a very simple first day, actually. But then we got the assignment above, so... eh. At least it's not a ten page paper over the history of the English department or something.

I'd die.

My Spanish teacher's from Ecuador, but since it's entry-level Spanish, we'll be learning more than just the language, but the cultures as well. It should be a lot of fun. (And one of the hottest girls I've ever seen in my entire life sits behind me and demanded that I be her study buddy in that class. Yes... a good class indeed.)

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.

The collegiate world Shan'do Spike's Avatar
    My favorite paper? Well, as was mentioned before, I'm not in college, but my favorite paper had to be a paper we wrote in preparation for college entrance essays that was simply supposed to be putting ourselves on a piece of paper. I went about 2.5 times over the maximum length, but I took the opportunity more as a time to not really be serious, and it actually turned out really well. The sarcastic ass in me turned out to be a really good writer's voice.

Not really sure about the other questions. Just wanted to tell that story.
    Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust
    Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.

-Ferdinand, The Duchess of Malfi, V.V

Bananarama The collegiate world Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, I move in to Binghamton on thursday, so I don't have much to talk about the college experience. Class starts on monday the 30th... French at 8:30am.

Apparently we move in tomorrow, then party it up for a good 3 days before we start classes. Saturday, my birthday should be amazing, though I won't be spending it with my family or best friends. We're all pretty much a part of the same system (SUNY) but we're about 350 miles away.

Anyway, my favorite paper written was for AP Psych, dealing with videogames and violence. I wasn't supposed to take a side, but I just had to list both arguements and the pros and cons for both. The research was interesting enough, but it wasn't really anything out of the ordinary
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Member of The Promised Land psychosyd's Avatar
    Well, I moved into my dorm today... the rest of this week is really just new student orientation... yeah nothing spectatular. Meet people, see what college is all about

I start Monday teh 30th as well, with... Intro to Theater at 9AM... so college life is about to start about all I know is my roommate and where I live...

and I despise english and have not found a paper I have enjoyed writing... honest
    Spoiler:
    Member of SOLDIER

Blog Entries
    Perhaps we'll get more accurate responses from the two of you next week then?

Yes. Yes we will.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Member of The Promised Land psychosyd's Avatar
    I can tell you I have been here 3 days and seen lots of girls, so my accounts may only be about them... of course that also depends on how many are in each of my classes and how hot they are. The 2nd one, after what I have seen thusfar however, im not worried in the slightest... trust me
    Spoiler:
    Member of SOLDIER

Bananarama The collegiate world Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    well i moved in to binghamton yesterday. It was a pretty good experience. Met all my roomates and the like. They're awesome (anti rap. Ross was playing some AC/DC in his room, so its gonna be good times).

We basically brought all of my crap into my half of the room, set up my comp and put my clothes away. Then I said goodbye to my parents outside.

There were 2 parties last night. One was a total sausage fest (all dudes). The other was a giant line for beer with few chicks dancing. I went to the first one.

I met up with a ton of people from my old school, so it was cool. 3 of them are in my building, about 5 more are in the other buildings in the quad. I also met a ton of hot chicks, so its all good

I still have to buy my books and a toothbrush, since I left mine in Queens. Gum and mouthwash are my saviors for these days.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers